Used a scrubbie with preloaded Ajax on accident

MichelleBeth

Aug 18, 2016
I tried to wash it all off, but I'm concerned now. It got in the corners and areas where the wires loop on one of my cages as well as on all the bars and it's really hard to be sure I got all of it.

I thought it was toxic, but looking online it looks like it's not as bad as bleach at least.

How worried should I be? I was using the pad to scrub the sides of the cage bars. I didn't notice the blue powder for a while because i was using soap as well and it masked it.

Ugh.

edit: no birds are in this cage, but it would be a shame to not be able to use it anymore because of a mistake. I'm too paranoid to disinfect with bleach or other toxic chemicals in case I miss getting all of it off.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Is it possible to put the cage in the bathtub so you could completely rinse it off? Or get it outside and spray off with a hose? I would do that, then wash really well with Dawn, and then rinse well again. It should be fine as long as it is 100% cleaned and rinsed off.

OP
M

MichelleBeth

Aug 18, 2016
Is it possible to put the cage in the bathtub so you could completely rinse it off? Or get it outside and spray off with a hose? I would do that, then wash really well with Dawn, and then rinse well again. It should be fine as long as it is 100% cleaned and rinsed off.

It is able to fit in the tub. It folds up so that makes things easier too. I filled it up and let each side soak for like 5 min, then sprayed it and ran it over with a clean washcloth....

I think it's okay.. but boy, that startled me. I didn't think it would fit at first.

Thanks for the reply. This was all because I noticed there was some rust spots... Well, at least the rust is mostly gone. Now to be sure it's no longer toxic..

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Sure does help when they fold up! I'm glad you were able to get it in there and all cleaned up:)

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Keep a look out for those rust spots to reappear as washing will only take the top layer off for now.

Phoenixjay

Sep 5, 2016
Chicago
Parrots
Beaker- 6 year old cockatiel
Leonardo da Birdie- 11 year old cockatiel
I'm just poking around and I wanted to ask what is wrong with Ajax? I've never used it on a cage, but I was curious so I don't use it in the future without knowing. I tried Googling it but couldn't find any more information.

Last edited:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Try swallowing some, you'll learn quick enough why its not good for parrot cages.

Only KIDDING, dont swallow any, but you get the idea.

Most Reactions

Latest posts