UV lighting

Solo

Feb 24, 2015
Wichita,KS
Parrots
Shamrock Macaw
Okay, so I am making plans for my complete flight room. I currently have a ceiling fan that I wish to remove and in its place put a recessed light fixture for full spectrum lighting. What experiences have you all had with avian lighting and what do you guys recommend? I was hoping for something that would fit a fluorescent fixture, but most of what I'm finding are like desk mounts and over cage fixtures. Thanks for any advice. I am looking for quality and what will be best for Phoebe, not necessarily the cheapest.

mekat

Jul 5, 2015
I'm not an expert but I thought the full spectrum bulb couldn't be further then 15 inches away from the bird if you wanted them to get full benefits. I have always just either used a clamp on light or floor standing lamp because of this.

I do have full spectrum lights in our main over head lights but that is for my benefit not the birds. I noticed that having full spectrum lights in the house helps keep my moods brighter and less morose.

OP
Solo

Solo

Feb 24, 2015
Wichita,KS
Parrots
Shamrock Macaw
I'm not interested in the light for Vitamin D, but instead for the psychological/emotional benefits. In the spring time its non stop storms and tornados here, and I noticed during our last big storm that she seemed depressed. I did as well so she could have just been feeding off of me. I would love to replace the lights in my house with FS for myself as well. She gets natural light as often as I can provide it.

mekat

Jul 5, 2015
Well there is one other reason we do full spectrum, brightness. My son has bilateral optic nerve colobomas so is low vision and cannot see in dim lighting. As for overhead lights we just use compact florescent full spectrum bulbs designed to fit a normal light socket.

I have a ratio of 1 full spectrum bulb to three normal bulbs because other wise it gets too bright for me. [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0018OS06S?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s03"]Alzo 4 pack[/ame] is what I use for the humans in the house; it comes in a 4 pack and you can use it in any light fixture that has a standard light socket so many options for overhead lights are available if you go the compact route.

If you want to do full size fluorescent instead of compact fluorescent just make sure the light fixture you order matches to the full size bulbs available on the market. We don't use special light fixtures just special bulbs.

ETA- Be aware the full spectrum compact bulb are longer than regular compact bulbs so keep that in mind when you are looking at standard socket light fixtures.

Last edited:

Most Reactions