Valentino is finally home

noblemacaw

Sep 23, 2011
Parrots
Valentino - Red Fronted Macaw - Hatched August 12, 2012
It has been a very busy couple of days. Valentino arrived on Sunday during our winter storm. Getting to the airport and coming back was bad because the roads were very slippery and it just kept snowing. I was worried that his flight would be delayed but instead the flight was 20 mins early.

Here is a pic of him just out of the crate after we got home.
IntroducingValentino.jpg

Here is another of Valentino just out of the crate with me petting him. He was very calm and willing to step up on my hand after I opened the door. I was very impressed of how friendly and willing he was to come to me. He did not seem real stressed or scared. Wendy did such a good job raising him.
Valentinoathome.jpg

I am very happy Valentino is finally home. At this time he is going through the normal adjustment period. He is unsure and confused but I try to help him feel comfortable and more secure. I have been hand feeding him hand rearing formula to help with the regression and also so that he goes to bed with a warm crop of food so he can sleep better. Until I am comfortable with the volume of food he is eating on his own and also that he is more confident and settled I will continue to help with the hand feedings.

Today I was able to get the feeding response from Valentino and he took a fair amount of formula for me. That was a great relief for me because I worry about keeping weight stable during the adjustment period. Today I finally got Valentino to give me the feeding response and was able to get enough formula in him to feel comfortable. I was so happy that him and I finally "figured" each other out with eating. He is also cuddling with me more often and for longer period of time.

Valentino also gave me some tude today. I had to laugh inside because he does display him wanting his own way. He is fully flighted and is a beautiful, graceful, amazing flyer. He uses his hovering ability to right himself when he looses balance on his Java tree and it is beautiful to see. I cannot hear him fly he is a silent flyer and his feathers are the softest I have ever felt. I am glad that I have kept him flighted but yes, he is coming around with a LOT of confidence. LOL.

There are a couple of things I will need to work with Valentino on. I have never been a "parrot on the head" person and really find talons on my scalp intolerable. Valentino LOVES to land on you on your head. This sort of freaks me out. I don't react because he is flying TO me but I will need to work with him on where he is to land. Red fronted macaws land so softly.

I think each day will get better. One thing I am having a hard time is Valentino's voice. Boy is this parrot LOUD. I can handle the screaming when he is not on me but when Valentino is on me and screams my ears ring and I startle every time. I am thankful the frequency range of his scream does not fully bother me. ( I have heard some parrot screams in which I could NOT handle the frequency range they fall in) I do understand that Valentino is attempting to communicate with me with his screams. I do my best to troubleshoot why he screams and do not reward him when I know he is doing it for the sake of doing it. I will take them seriously if I think he is hungry. That is serious issue and will check to see if he is hungry or just screaming. He still makes that weird squeaky honking baby sound which just melts me. I hear that when I am holding him and petting him for his cuddles. Valentino loves it when I sing to him. This might be because all the way home from the airport I sang to him when I sat next to his carrier in the car.

I am sure tomorrow will bring new challenges and new rewards.

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
There are a couple of things I will need to work with Valentino on. I have never been a "parrot on the head" person and really find talons on my scalp intolerable. Valentino LOVES to land on you on your head. This sort of freaks me out. I don't react because he is flying TO me but I will need to work with him on where he is to land. Red fronted macaws land so softly.

My Hahns takes to the top of my head when I change clothes. He knows thats the safe spot where he can still stay on daddy.

Your new baby is beautiful. Hope you two have a wonderful blessed bonding time!

OP
noblemacaw

noblemacaw

Sep 23, 2011
Parrots
Valentino - Red Fronted Macaw - Hatched August 12, 2012
Thank you all for your kind responses. Valentino really is a beautiful parrot and very well raised. I am constantly amazed how he handled the stress of getting to my home and how quickly he is adjusting to being with me and in my home. This speaks very well for his breeder Wendy Craig because she does such a fine job raising these parrots.

Not once ever since Valentino has been here has he ever bit out of fear or frustrations. He expresses himself quite well and for a baby parrot has confidence I have never seen before in such a creature as young as he. I wonder if it is because I requested him to be kept flight with no clip to the wings. He flies beautiful with such grace like he has been flying for years.

As he bonds more closely to us and become use to his surroundings and how I do things around here more intense training is to follow. Right now I am teaching him where he can be and what places are forbidden for him. I am also cuddling him talking to him and feeding him by hand to help him feel more secure here. Valentino is 4 months old today.

Most Reactions