Vanilla

Vanilla

Nov 17, 2010
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo
http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee509/Andrea_Parish/002-1.jpg

Hi, just wanted to formally introduce you all to the beautiful elderly lady we saved, from a severely abusive situation. Her name is Vanilla, she is approximately 40 - 50 years old, blind, silent, and just now growing her feathers back. Clark our pup, has also taken a real shine to her. Any advice on helping her live a happy life, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Andrea
:white1:

mellykyitus

Oct 22, 2010
Media
south wales UK
Parrots
Angel the blue and gold macaw, mimsy the lesser sulphur too, rocky the galah & willow the blue crowned conure.
you're doing a fantastic job andrea, hats off to you xxxxxxxxxxxx

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Vanilla looks great, and I reckon the name suits her
Amazing how quickly the dog Clark, got used to her.
Vanilla is blessed to have you as her guardian
Thanks for sharing

Von1983

Banned
Banned
Sep 3, 2010
Media
That is a gorgeous picture! Thankyou so much for sharing.

Well done for rescuing such a beautiful bird in need. You're clearly doing an amazing job.

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Adorable to say the least. Has there been a reason identified why she is silent - deafness? The photo is the best and so are you.

nofearengineer

Sep 8, 2010
Parrots
Gandalf - CAG (1997-2010) R.I.P. my baby boy.
Bitty - CAG (2 yrs old? and working on spoiling her rotten)
Poor little Vanilla. It must be so terrible to be even more isolated from the world like that. She is so lucky to have found you to take care of her. You really are doing God's work in making her golden years comfortable.

Clark looks like he doesn't know quite what to make of her. Boxers are such good dogs like that.

I'd hate to think that the story of how she got like that were true. I'd hate even more to think of what I would do if I caught someone doing that.

I can promise that if she ever regains her voice, it will be the sweetest icing (vanilla?) on the cake.

OP
V

Vanilla

Nov 17, 2010
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo
It was told to us the reason Vanilla is so silent, Spiritbird, is because she was left in a cage in a dark basement for the past year, and each time she would make noise, the household people would cuff her upside the head. So she relates pain with talking. She was also tormented with two pitbulls circling her cage at night time. She is blind, perhaps that was the hitting of the head too, or just old age. Our vet says she is not deaf at all:) We now have the music on at all times, and she is quite the dancing queen! She is still quite bald on her tummy and legs, but absolutely loves when the bathroom gets all warm and steamy from a human shower. So I think I will re-introduce her to her own bath time late next week, see how she reacts. Wish me luck, I really do not want to frighten her. Thank you.

Crazy4Birds

Oct 20, 2010
CT and FL
Parrots
Nicky (sun conure); RIP Gracie (senegal) and Benson (cockatiel)
That poor girl! I once had a nightmare that I had left my birds in the basement for a week and had forgotten to feed them. I can't believe that someone would ever leave a living animal in a dark room and hurt them the way the previous owners did. I am so grateful for people like you to save the life of such a beautiful bird!

OP
V

Vanilla

Nov 17, 2010
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo
Morning:) I was just wondering if anyone had any idea as to how to help me introduce bathing to my blind gal. Please remember it is -30 this time of year for me. Our house is very warm, but with her a little featherless, I would hate myself if she were to get frightened or worse yet, sick. I have only had her a week and a half now. All eating, drinking, and loving is moving along smoothly though, we are so happy. Just wondering if it is too soon to introduce something new, that might startle her enough to fear again. Thank you and have a beautiuful day.

Von1983

Banned
Banned
Sep 3, 2010
Media
That is heartbreaking :(

I'm so glad Vanilla is now with you.

You could try talking to her saying: Do you want a shower? Mmmm warm shower.....and use a spray bottle with warm water on fine mist. At first Cal was like: WHAT IS THIS?! And scooted out the way, but with just a few times she was loving it. I either hold her close after with a towel or put the hairdryer on LOW (in case of ptfe. The manufacturer of mine says my model doesn't contain it as it's "basic" but just in case....) and she does a Marilyn Monroe lol. It's cold here too now so I can relate. Cranking the heating up for a wee while does the job too!

Most parrots seem to like hoovers and many dive into their water bowls to bathe. Obviously, if they like hoovers, they won't mind hair dryers!

Alternatively, a stainless steel doggie bowl in the bottom of the cage could be left with warm water for her to explore and find, maybe?

Good luck!

OP
V

Vanilla

Nov 17, 2010
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo
Thank you for the hint, I will try it. Now it is only -4, so it is much warmer than last week :) She is totally blind, so when she is in her cage, she is not too adventurous, so I will stick with the warm spray bottle, or one of our bathtubs. She is always with someone, not really sure why we even have a cage on each floor of the house for her:) Yesterday, I was telling everyone I met, that I found a new food she just loves, cranberries! She really is coming around, and the bath is next on the list. Have a beautiful day.

Most Reactions

Latest posts