Various, Hello & Thank You

spooky006

Aug 28, 2020
Orange Park, Florida
Parrots
My Quaker Parrot "Pedro" was recently deceased.
Hello All,
Let me introduce myself. I'm probably on the older side, but still young somewhat until I fall down. LOL!

I did a career in the Navy, and worked at various places throughout the U.S. When the economy took a nose dive in 2008, was laid-off by Bank of America a couple of weeks before Christmas. It was just as well, as I found a job with government until I retired from that job.

In 2016, while working in Dallas we went to a Mexican Bazaar (indoor flea market) and we went into shop that had birds. A little green Quaker Parrot crawled up on my collar bone, next to my neck, and he fell asleep. So home he came, and we named him "Pedro".

While the wife visited relatives overseas, Pedro and I spent time together. I talked to him like a Drill Sargent, COME HERE, DO IT!!! LOL! While I was at work, I left the TV on in front of his cage. Sometimes playing YouTube videos of Parrots talking. By the time the wife returned, he was saying it. LOL!!! For some reason, she didn't like that. Especially, the "DO IT". Don't know why. She said you are not in the service anymore. Oh well.

When I was at work, she would be in the kitchen preparing a meal and he would call her, "Come Here!", "Do It!". Until she came to the cage, then he would run to his tent and peek out that back looking at her. Like Ha Ha, you didn't get me. Finally, after several trips the wife just grabbed him and smothered him with kisses.

Pedro had an extensive vocabulary and sounds.

Pedro passed away in a horrible accident recently, on August 8th, 2020.
We should have kept him inside. Or got him use to the collar. Many times he was on our shoulder, while walking around the yard. He got spooked by a bird of prey, flew to the ground and before the wife could retrieve him. That was it.

We had Pedro for four (4) years or a little more. When he came into our lives, the lady at the bazaar said he was like 5-7 months old.

If anybody can learn from this tragedy, I hope that this helps.
He was my shipmate and buddy, who was always by my side and it has been very difficult for me. However, it helps for me to write about it. In a way I wish I had recorded more of him during the course of a day.

Recently, I taught him how to dance and bob his head up and down to music, then he started to sing, but he would say Talk, Talk, Talk to the beat while bobbing his head. Meanwhile at the same time, he would be moving his feet side to side or walking and go spin in a circle. When we finished we would say, Yeah!!! Like he was a little kid, which he was. One time while going to the pet store with Pedro and Princess (our Teacup Yorkie), the radio played a good song and Pedro started bobbing his head, and I cracked up laughing.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Thank yiu for sharing Pedro with us. He sounds so amazing and so loved.
I’m just north of you, sbd my Neptune escaped in June. I don’t have closure... my pain feels your pain. My condolences to you and your family.
It helps to be here with people who love parrots, who understand how special they are.

Thank you for your service to America.

Last edited:

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Welcome to you! Pedro was one of a kind! Years ago, someone who lived near you had their beloved taken right off their shoulder!
I am west of you in Clermont! I see you never moved far from the old base!

OP
spooky006

spooky006

Aug 28, 2020
Orange Park, Florida
Parrots
My Quaker Parrot "Pedro" was recently deceased.
Thanks,
NAS JAX is close by, but never stationed there.
My last tour of duty was on a ship out of Mayport Florida.
When I figure out how to post pic's of Pedro, will do soonest.

Barry

PrimorandMoxi

May 29, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Max (23yo) Blue and Gold Macaw,
&
PRIMOR (8yo) Red Lored Amazon,
&
ABBA (33yo) Red Lored Amazon - RIP
Wow so, so sorry for the loss of your quaker.
Especially in that way.

I have a soft spot for quakers.

Believe it or not my hood in jersey had a TON of them until the utility workers removed their nests. Not sure what they did with the birds.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
An easy way is to click go advance under the text box, then click the paper clip, choose photo, click upload in the right , close the window and post your text, pic will be attached as a thumbnail

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome, thanks for joining and sharing your story. My deepest condolences for the tragic loss of Pedro. I hope in time his bright memories outshine sadness.

Most Reactions

Latest posts