Very attached Eclectus, its a problem...

cmdavis1

Dec 18, 2011
Hello everybody, I have a male Solomon island Eclectus who happens to be extremely attached to me. He'll regurgitate to me sometimes, squawk as soon as I leave the room he's in, scream and bang his head against his cage if he is locked inside when I am in that room and as soon as I let him out he'll fly to my shoulder, climb up and down and around my arms and try to breed with his selected spot...

It's getting to the point where me and my family sometimes can't enjoy a night without him getting his way or causing distress for the rest of us. He used to be a very good bird who would just sit on your hand and behave himself. We don't know what to do and are thinking of finding a new home for him without me being there. What can we do???

OP
C

cmdavis1

Dec 18, 2011
Also I forgot to mention, if I leave the room we're in he will fly, climb the stairs, go wherever he needs to to track me down. It's like he can't survive without being in my presence. (And he also attacks black electronic devices I.E. TV remotes, cell phones, etc...)

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
I take it you guys have allowed this to go on for quite sometime now? At first it may seem cute and all until it over whelm you when it gets worse and worse all the time. He should of have a time where he's solitary when he tries the mating thing. Should have him put away and ignored. It can get a lot worse that you may need to find him a different home.

OP
C

cmdavis1

Dec 18, 2011
Yes he's 8 years old now and has been doing this for at least a few years... Probably to the point where when his hormones start a flowin he turns basically wild (even though parrots arn't domesticated in the first place).

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
I ignore mine during hormone season...One of my birds attacked me during the beginning of hormone season this time...I got hurt pretty good...I wasn't paying attention when it happened cause I was caught off guard. Basically when they start doing anything on me, I discourage them by not giving them the chance and place them back into their cage. I can't wait until it's over...lol...

OP
C

cmdavis1

Dec 18, 2011
So what would you suggest for when we ignore him, put him away and cover up his cage and he continues on with banging and screeching?

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
If you have a different room where he can't see you would be perfect. Just ignore like he's not even phasing you one bit. Just say hi and if he's being good, reward him with a treat, pet, kiss or whatever hou do. The moment he starts again just turn around and walk away.

Most Reactions