very sad news...

mellykyitus

Oct 22, 2010
Media
south wales UK
Parrots
Angel the blue and gold macaw, mimsy the lesser sulphur too, rocky the galah & willow the blue crowned conure.
i came home to find my lovebird had got out of her cage and into the budgies cage and attacked serena my budgie. it was horrific, blood everywhere, her legs had been chewed off completely (both legs) and her bottom beak ripped off and a gash on her chest.... she was still alive!
i rushed her to the vet but obviously the damage was too much, she was put to sleep. i've been in tears, she could have been like this for at least 2 hours in all that pain.
the other budgies are fine but seem shaken, i'm devastated.
gracie the lovebird is back in her cage (now with a padlock). whoever named them lovebirds must have been crazy!!
serena was such a gentle soul, i'll miss her so much. she is 2nd from the left in photo.

Last edited:

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
OMG this is awful!! I am truly sorry your bird had to go through this and you had to see the results. I do not know much about lovebirds.

wuvzbirdies

May 5, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Parrots
Congo African Grey: Russell Peters (R.I.P. my baby)
Oh My Gosh!!! What a shock to read this post! Not as much as one for you to be going through I'm sure. I am very sorry for your loss.

Von1983

Banned
Banned
Sep 3, 2010
Media
Oh my goodness Melly, poor you and poor Serena.

What a shock for all concerned.

Take heart in the fact that with that much damage, Serena would have been numb and in no pain after the initial attack.

Gracie was only following her instinct which was so sadly deadly to Serena.

I'm so so sorry you've had to deal with this, my heart goes out to you Mel :(

Sarena is in no pain now.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited:

Marnie

May 4, 2010
Williamsport, PA
Parrots
Indian Ringneck Parrot;
had
a Senegal &
2 love birds
what a horrific sight that must have been for you! i am so sorry this happened to your sweet Sabrena, she was a strikingly beautiful bird.
she was a brave soul and took the brunt of it and the rest of yours fids are ok.
may she rest in peace for her sacrifice.

OP
mellykyitus

mellykyitus

Oct 22, 2010
Media
south wales UK
Parrots
Angel the blue and gold macaw, mimsy the lesser sulphur too, rocky the galah & willow the blue crowned conure.
thankyou for all your kind words and thoughts. i've buried serena under a tree in the garden. i still can't believe it happened, i've never seen anything like it, for such a small bird to do so much damage.

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
I am so sorry. What a horrible thing to deal with - for all of you!

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
I don't know what to say OMG I can't stop crying
Sorry for your loss. Wish you did not have to witness this tragic ending.
So many sad stories in the forum withing the last two weeks, I am devastated.

Last edited:

Ratzy

Apr 7, 2010
Media
Hamilton, Victoria, Australia
Parrots
See siggie :)
OMG!!! :(

Poor little budgie, but she's not suffering now.
Don't blame the lovebird, it's what they do.
Whenever I come across somebody who keeps lovebirds and budgies together I tell them the budgies are going to end up dead. It works when the lovebirds are young, but not for long.
She was an opaline spangle yft2 sky blue.
RIP little one.

Most Reactions

Latest posts