Very worried about Fang

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
Fang says to say “awww thanx for asking!”

He is really quite bright today, eating fairly well, taking his meds like a champion and seems to have stopped shedding so many feathers too. HRH the Tiny Terrorist keeps trying to push him around so I’m being kept busy distracting her attention away from him.

I’m a wee bit annoyed that his heart condition was picked up at a vet visit back in November but at the time we were told just to keep an eye on him and no blood test or further investigation was recommended. Same vet surgery but that exam was done by the second-in-charge, not the boss man whom I trust implicitly. Maybe I’m just second guessing everything but I just wonder if we’d started medication back then we might have circumvented more damage to his liver etc. Still I’m very happy with the way he’s improved so far. I thought he would hate me by now for dosing him up twice a day but he is very co-operative and if I didn’t know better I’d say he actually seems to like the taste.

Anyways I’ll certainly keep you all updated about how our little Fangstien is progressing, he’s been SUCH a good boy throughout all of this and I’m very proud of him for being so brave:)

I can't comment with much authority on this because I don't know what Fang's heart condition is, but I know what you mean, why do they always say "Yes they have this potentially serious health condition or disease, but no, we're not going to start treating it right now, we're going to just "wait and see"...And then when it does start causing problems they are usually way worse and more widespread than they probably would have been...That's why my CAV, my Herp Vet, and my Dog's Vet all start salivating when I walk in the door, because they know I'm going to insist on treating them for anything they find, and if they don't do it I'll end up doing it myself anyway, so they might as well make some money!

I'm sorry Fang has a heart condition that is causing him other issues, but I'm glad it's one that can be treated medically instead of in an invasive way. And honestly this heart condition is probably much better for Fang than even the Heavy-Metal Poisoning would be, because for whatever reason going through Chelation Therapy with a bird doesn't ever seem to end well...So this is probably actually the lesser of two evils...

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
I loooooooove him!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HEEDLESS

Supporting Member
Nov 9, 2018
Media
US
Parrots
Eclectus: SI. Vosmaeri
"KISE" She was born in Jan, 2018.
"Akashi" He hatched 07/13/2021.
Here's a quick vid of Fang waving "Hello" to all his supporters, he's sitting on my shoulder preening right now and looking reasonably happy (don't wanna say too much in case I tempt the wrath of the whatever from on top of the thing!)

https://youtu.be/uRKtWInA6FQ

I should have take some pis... Kise was kissing Fang... and said "Hello Darling" While watching the vid on mac. :smile004:

OP
LaManuka

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Oh HEEDLESS that sounds too cute, I wish I'd seen it!

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
He looks positively Fangalicious!
Thanks for the furniture update.
:)

FlyBirdiesFly

Jul 30, 2017
Media
Fang looks so happy and cheerful whistling! Very cute!

I’m sorry he has a heart problem, I hope he does well on medication.

Last edited:
OP
LaManuka

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
For all of Fang’s wonderful supporters out there, he’s had a pretty good day today. He’s still being co-operative about taking his meds and has been whistling a few of his favourite tunes whereas last week he was fairly quiet. He’s been eating well and right now is enjoying some adult time since the two young ‘uns are in bed, and is making happy beak-grinding noises:)

I’m kinda taking one day at a time with him, I don’t want to get ahead of myself given his condition, but there again none of us really knows what tomorrow will bring. I cherish having him with me every single day, as with Lilly and Val (and wow hasn’t Val found his voice in the last few days, I’m working on getting a recording:) ) I may have to start a new thread for Fang ... “Slightly Less Worried About ...” for all his fans. He’s just such a beautiful, sweet boy and we adore him.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
There really is hope. You know how mortified I was when the Rb was diagnosed with a heart-related condition and had to start Vasotec. That was last year, and his doctor-visit, yesterday, showed a return to a completely normal blood panel.
Fang-ey Wang-ey, take your meds and follow doctor's orders and be good for your mom. If your Uncle Rickeybird can do it, so can you.

OP
LaManuka

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Scott, Fang is on a medication called Pimobendan, as I wasn’t present at his appointment I looked it up on the interwebz and there’s a lot of literature about it being successfully used for dogs but not much about birds.

And Gail it’s wonderful that the Rb has had such great results on his meds but how on earth do you administer it? I can’t imagine him being as co-operative as Fang!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Thanks Martina, I had a hunch. Our vet prescribed Pimobendan for my Ekkie, Angel. Said it can be a wonder drug and one of his patients is a Grey that was prescribed at least a dozen years ago. In the U.S it is only available in pill form for mammals. Had the choice of purchasing powder from Canada or compounding pharmacy. Did the latter and found it easy to mix with oatmeal or applesauce. Hopefully Fang will be cooperative and continue to do well.

OP
LaManuka

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Thanks for the info Scott that’s very encouraging. Fang is still eating well and almost back to his usual self. He’s a little quieter than previously which could be a combination of factors, like his new flatmate Val along with me dosing him up twice a day but he’s flying around the house ok and looking much brighter. He sure did give me a scare last week though!

OP
LaManuka

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
I'm so happy things are looking up for Fang. Good news is welcome!

Thanx LeaKP, yes they certainly are, and yes it certainly is!

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Poor Fang, he’s been through a lot lately, I’m so glad he’s feeling better. Sending hugs and hope for a full recovery.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
Scott, Fang is on a medication called Pimobendan, as I wasn’t present at his appointment I looked it up on the interwebz and there’s a lot of literature about it being successfully used for dogs but not much about birds.

And Gail it’s wonderful that the Rb has had such great results on his meds but how on earth do you administer it? I can’t imagine him being as co-operative as Fang!

Almond butter. I buy a local organic, nuts-only butter, then pour off all the oil, making it gummy and absorbent, then use maybe a quarter teaspoon to mix in .2 CCs of the meds, then work it into little bite-size balls, perch them on the edge of a spoon and he gobbles them.

Hope that helps!

Most Reactions

Latest posts