Vet, Blood work, Xray & So many questions

OP
R

rev

Nov 17, 2020
I will try and explain how things went when I took him to the vet a few days ago to thr best of my ability.

Due to covid I am not allowed in the vet practice and they come outside to you, talk and then take them inside.

I first began by explaining the weight he is usually and then how it dropped and how it has been slowly increasing but not gotten back up to "his normal weight". The first thing the vet said was that his weight is very low for a cockatiel as average is typically around 80 - 100g. He took him in for a check up. On returning he said that he is within one gram of when he last saw him, he was 73 last check up and 74g when being weighed then. "Even though the average cockatiel is about 100g, he doesnt feel skinny to me, I think hes just a small cockatiel. Hes passed some normal looking droppings. So I wouldn't be overly concerned. We've got a poo so if you want us to check for worms then that would probably be the first step to do. And then if there is further concerns and we just arent happy with his weight - if it just hovers around that within a gram or two and it just kind of yoyos that is probably just natural variation." He then goes on to tell me about a client who has cockatiels for 20 years and about the data that client records about his birds.

"The only thing abnormal so far is the actual weight but I think that is just normal for him. Not all are the same, when you feel across his breast muscle, he had a few flys round the room and came back he was doing that very well, hes not going out of breath and he feels like hes got good muscle and everything there. I would be 95% happy that everything is ok there. We've got a poo sample so well check that for worms" goes to tell me about worms in cockatiels.

"If the weight isnt coming back up again then your next step is xrays and blood tests." I asked "so you dont think getting his blood work would be warranted now?" He says "it's one of those things, I dont think its essential, you've always got to weigh up the pros and cons, theres a small risk in doing that. It's a very small risk but none the less there is a risk. But what I would probably do first is a faecal test first and if that shows anything. If it doesnt think over your options over the weekend, if you feel you want to do a blood test then I'm more than happy to do that. Theres an arguement for doing it every year and theres an argument for not doing it every year, theres pros and cons. The cons are you're doing something that may not be necessary and the pros are you might pick up something something early before waiting before something is too advance to do anything about. Theres a balance there somewhere. I think obviously if you have concerns, we do a blood test and have an xray generally because these tend to pick up bits and swallow things that may show up on there that may explain it a little bit that we may be able to do something about. I think we should do the faecal test done by tomorrow and if you want to do blood tests and xrays, have a think about that over the weekend and we can do that next week. Hes not obviously poorly he could've picked up something that may be a concern and in which case doing a health check, you can always look at it as a health check." Goes on to talk about being able to compare his bloods now to potential issues in the future.

"My feeling is overly good, he does look ok a health chap as I say they do hide things. And if you are picking up on something that's not quite the norm -*I cant make out what is said here*"

I then go on to ask some questions one of which being could his mutation (pastel face) be a reason as to why hes underweight. He says there many reason why he could be small. From bad genetics to inbreeding to being stunted to being not properly weaned. But we cant do anything about that because it's in the past, we can only focus on what we can do in the future.

Now I want to stress after listening to the recording and typing this out he does sound a lot more pleasant than I remember this is probably because I'm upset and I apologise for this. It is still teu that when I mentioned the blood test later on and over the phone he only gave me answers to xray and blood test, didnt answer my question about blood test specifically.

Also could it be possible that a gram stain was done and that is under "faecal test"? And they just dont say specifically what was done as I suppose the average owner may not know the specifics?

Anyway I hope this can clear a few things up.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I will try and explain how things went when I took him to the vet a few days ago to thr best of my ability.

Due to covid I am not allowed in the vet practice and they come outside to you, talk and then take them inside.

I first began by explaining the weight he is usually and then how it dropped and how it has been slowly increasing but not gotten back up to "his normal weight". The first thing the vet said was that his weight is very low for a cockatiel as average is typically around 80 - 100g. He took him in for a check up. On returning he said that he is within one gram of when he last saw him, he was 73 last check up and 74g when being weighed then. "Even though the average cockatiel is about 100g, he doesnt feel skinny to me, I think hes just a small cockatiel. Hes passed some normal looking droppings. So I wouldn't be overly concerned. We've got a poo so if you want us to check for worms then that would probably be the first step to do. And then if there is further concerns and we just arent happy with his weight - if it just hovers around that within a gram or two and it just kind of yoyos that is probably just natural variation." He then goes on to tell me about a client who has cockatiels for 20 years and about the data that client records about his birds.

"The only thing abnormal so far is the actual weight but I think that is just normal for him. Not all are the same, when you feel across his breast muscle, he had a few flys round the room and came back he was doing that very well, hes not going out of breath and he feels like hes got good muscle and everything there. I would be 95% happy that everything is ok there. We've got a poo sample so well check that for worms" goes to tell me about worms in cockatiels.

"If the weight isnt coming back up again then your next step is xrays and blood tests." I asked "so you dont think getting his blood work would be warranted now?" He says "it's one of those things, I dont think its essential, you've always got to weigh up the pros and cons, theres a small risk in doing that. It's a very small risk but none the less there is a risk. But what I would probably do first is a faecal test first and if that shows anything. If it doesnt think over your options over the weekend, if you feel you want to do a blood test then I'm more than happy to do that. Theres an arguement for doing it every year and theres an argument for not doing it every year, theres pros and cons. The cons are you're doing something that may not be necessary and the pros are you might pick up something something early before waiting before something is too advance to do anything about. Theres a balance there somewhere. I think obviously if you have concerns, we do a blood test and have an xray generally because these tend to pick up bits and swallow things that may show up on there that may explain it a little bit that we may be able to do something about. I think we should do the faecal test done by tomorrow and if you want to do blood tests and xrays, have a think about that over the weekend and we can do that next week. Hes not obviously poorly he could've picked up something that may be a concern and in which case doing a health check, you can always look at it as a health check." Goes on to talk about being able to compare his bloods now to potential issues in the future.

"My feeling is overly good, he does look ok a health chap as I say they do hide things. And if you are picking up on something that's not quite the norm -*I cant make out what is said here*"

I then go on to ask some questions one of which being could his mutation (pastel face) be a reason as to why hes underweight. He says there many reason why he could be small. From bad genetics to inbreeding to being stunted to being not properly weaned. But we cant do anything about that because it's in the past, we can only focus on what we can do in the future.

Now I want to stress after listening to the recording and typing this out he does sound a lot more pleasant than I remember this is probably because I'm upset and I apologise for this. It is still teu that when I mentioned the blood test later on and over the phone he only gave me answers to xray and blood test, didnt answer my question about blood test specifically.

Also could it be possible that a gram stain was done and that is under "faecal test"? And they just dont say specifically what was done as I suppose the average owner may not know the specifics?

Anyway I hope this can clear a few things up.

The gram stain the the fecal. It's hard to focus on when under extreme stress- totally understandable.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Since your bird appears outwardly healthy, active, flies without becoming excessively winded, might be genetics, weaning, or simply on the small-size continuum of cockatiel bell curve. I'd try all possible low-risk testing and progress based on findings. Most vets can extract sufficient blood without anesthesia, though precise X-Rays depend on stillness.

Ask your vet what type of anesthesia used. By far the safest are fast-acting Sevoflurane and Isoflurane gasses. Also more costly than IV sedation, but I would never let a vet perform the latter on my birds. You'll have to weigh the risk/rewards when progressing up the ladder of testing. I'd really try for comprehensive blood panel before X-Rays in the absence of concrete evidence.
https://www.vin.com/apputil/content/defaultadv1.aspx?id=3862826&pid=11254&print=1

OP
R

rev

Nov 17, 2020
Since your bird appears outwardly healthy, active, flies without becoming excessively winded, might be genetics, weaning, or simply on the small-size continuum of cockatiel bell curve. I'd try all possible low-risk testing and progress based on findings. Most vets can extract sufficient blood without anesthesia, though precise X-Rays depend on stillness.

Ask your vet what type of anesthesia used. By far the safest are fast-acting Sevoflurane and Isoflurane gasses. Also more costly than IV sedation, but I would never let a vet perform the latter on my birds. You'll have to weigh the risk/rewards when progressing up the ladder of testing. I'd really try for comprehensive blood panel before X-Rays in the absence of concrete evidence.
https://www.vin.com/apputil/content/defaultadv1.aspx?id=3862826&pid=11254&print=1

Thank you for the advice.

simply on the small-size continuum of cockatiel bell curve

I'm not sure I under what this means, could you elaborate please?

Also when I spoke to my vet he said there isn't anything that can be done to 100% say for certain there no issues which I understand. But let's say i get the bloods done and that's all clear. What would the benefits of getting an xray be? All I can think would be to check for foreign objects. I just don't want to have to stress him out with multiple vet trips and i would like to do the necessary test at one time if possible. However I will definitely keep in mind what you said about anesthesia. Yet again thank you for your reply.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots

Also when I spoke to my vet he said there isn't anything that can be done to 100% say for certain there no issues which I understand. But let's say i get the bloods done and that's all clear. What would the benefits of getting an xray be? All I can think would be to check for foreign objects. I just don't want to have to stress him out with multiple vet trips and i would like to do the necessary test at one time if possible. However I will definitely keep in mind what you said about anesthesia. Yet again thank you for your reply.

I am not telling you not to listen to your vet or that your bird is or isn't healthy (I have no idea). Here is what I do know (as stated above, you may just have a smaller variety of your species BUT, again, it is hard to say):

You can find out separate things from blood and x rays. In terms of a general CBC (blood) there are even more specific viral and vitamin panels if you don't find an answer-- to be clear, a bird can have a clear cbc but still have a viral or fungal health issue (for instance, aspergillus is particularly hard to pin down), so a clear CBC doesn't mean the bird is necessarily healthy *similarly, an asymptomatic carrier of certain viruses will not show any abnormalities on a cbc, as they are not impacted by the virus they are carrying/spreading*- that was just an FYI for anyone who assumes that a clear CBC means that their bird is no risk to others (as this is not the case) . A CBC doesn't replace an xray or negate the need for further blood-work if there are symptoms of disease, but a cbc is essential for providing a comparison between health now and in the future. A CBC will not always detect long-term infection either, as white counts tend to normalize when a body is constantly at war (initial infections do tend to show though). Cultures and gram stains will also tell you separate things about acute infections in the intestines/crop etc etc. Every parrot should have a baseline cbc (assuming they are healthy enough for the draw). If after the CBC your bird is actively losing weight, showing odd feather patterns, breathing issues, chronic abnormalities in poop, weird CBC results etc, chronic sneezing or extreme lethargy (among other things), you should probably keep testing...I would def do a gram stain and cbc *assuming it can be done safely* and then consider an x ray if that doesn't show anything (just to be sure) but AGAIN, there are some risks so it just depends on how many concerning factors you are observing.

Noodles has had many cbcs, 2 liver panels (after there was an issue), a pbfd test and then tests for the basics, like chlamydia and polyoma. She has had probably 20-some swabs and/or gram stains and/or cultures over the years too and probably 5 xrays (which can help diagnose blockages, organ inflammation,metal shards, pdd etc). I do not regret testing because I have a better batting average than avian vets when it comes to "going with my gut" on her issues. I would say that 70% of the time, if I asked for a test, the outcome indicated that it was merited. I have lived with her a long time and I can tell when she is off..even though I always FEEL paranoid in the moment (because it is subtle), but I have found that I am pretty good at telling when something if off. Even if I am wrong, I don't regret it because I have been right when vets were not concerned and I was.

I am not saying you need to put your bird through every test under the sun, but do follow your instincts if you feel something is wrong. You know your bird and you have a better idea of how stressful some of this testing could be. Noodles is a weirdo, so despite getting highly anxious at the vet, she has never had to be anesthetized for x rays or blood.

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
he started out higher lost weight, after yiu changed diet. I'd start there abd work yiur way up. Offer seed mix for parakeet/cockatiels just a small amount st end of day . Offer millit spray, treat sticks. See if weight cines up. Might need a different pellets?, do you give free choice on pellets?

Glad vet seemed nicer on review.

14% is a big deal

OP
R

rev

Nov 17, 2020
he started out higher lost weight, after yiu changed diet. I'd start there abd work yiur way up. Offer seed mix for parakeet/cockatiels just a small amount st end of day . Offer millit spray, treat sticks. See if weight cines up. Might need a different pellets?, do you give free choice on pellets?

Glad vet seemed nicer on review.

14% is a big deal

To preface this aim talking about his usual weight, before the recent drop, of 75-76g. I was under the impression that yes he lost weight from when I initially got him but the fact that he was on a large % seed diet surely some of this weight loss could be from lost fat no? That was my thinking anyway. Correct me if I'm wrong.

No I dont offer a mix of pellets just the Harrisons High Potency, it may be something i look into. I have tried mixing in some sunflower seeds into his pellets but he is very picky. In terms of, I break them up to mix in with the pellets and he doesn't touch them, he will only eat them whole. So I will change this. Another thing is he seemed to est less of his vegetable chop morning and night but today I tried something I used to do. This was spreading the chop out over a plate as opposed to having it in a pile. He ate more of it this way so I'll try that again.

Do you have any healthier seed recommendations I could try?

OP
R

rev

Nov 17, 2020

I am not telling you not to listen to your vet or that your bird is or isn't healthy (I have no idea). Here is what I do know (as stated above, you may just have a smaller variety of your species BUT, again, it is hard to say):

You can find out separate things from blood and x rays. In terms of a general CBC (blood) there are even more specific viral and vitamin panels if you don't find an answer-- to be clear, a bird can have a clear cbc but still have a viral or fungal health issue (for instance, aspergillus is particularly hard to pin down), so a clear CBC doesn't mean the bird is necessarily healthy *similarly, an asymptomatic carrier of certain viruses will not show any abnormalities on a cbc, as they are not impacted by the virus they are carrying/spreading*- that was just an FYI for anyone who assumes that a clear CBC means that their bird is no risk to others (as this is not the case) . A CBC doesn't replace an xray or negate the need for further blood-work if there are symptoms of disease, but a cbc is essential for providing a comparison between health now and in the future. A CBC will not always detect long-term infection either, as white counts tend to normalize when a body is constantly at war (initial infections do tend to show though). Cultures and gram stains will also tell you separate things about acute infections in the intestines/crop etc etc. Every parrot should have a baseline cbc (assuming they are healthy enough for the draw). If after the CBC your bird is actively losing weight, showing odd feather patterns, breathing issues, chronic abnormalities in poop, weird CBC results etc, chronic sneezing or extreme lethargy (among other things), you should probably keep testing...I would def do a gram stain and cbc *assuming it can be done safely* and then consider an x ray if that doesn't show anything (just to be sure) but AGAIN, there are some risks so it just depends on how many concerning factors you are observing.

Noodles has had many cbcs, 2 liver panels (after there was an issue), a pbfd test and then tests for the basics, like chlamydia and polyoma. She has had probably 20-some swabs and/or gram stains and/or cultures over the years too and probably 5 xrays (which can help diagnose blockages, organ inflammation,metal shards, pdd etc). I do not regret testing because I have a better batting average than avian vets when it comes to "going with my gut" on her issues. I would say that 70% of the time, if I asked for a test, the outcome indicated that it was merited. I have lived with her a long time and I can tell when she is off..even though I always FEEL paranoid in the moment (because it is subtle), but I have found that I am pretty good at telling when something if off. Even if I am wrong, I don't regret it because I have been right when vets were not concerned and I was.

I am not saying you need to put your bird through every test under the sun, but do follow your instincts if you feel something is wrong. You know your bird and you have a better idea of how stressful some of this testing could be. Noodles is a weirdo, so despite getting highly anxious at the vet, she has never had to be anesthetized for x rays or blood.

Thank you for the in depth response and all your previous ones.

So I should start with a CBC and go from there ? Could you let me know the full name, Complete Blood Count? As I am in the UK I wonder if some things may be named differently or not.

I am still waiting on a reply from the vet surgery of the treatments they offer. But I will find out. I hope that my vet offers blood draws without anesthesia otherwise I will look for somewhere else.

The viral and vitamin panels you mentioned what exactly are these and do they have specific names?

Could you elaborate on the swabs/cultures? From what I understand the gram stain is what I had done with the faecal test. I I would like to know the specifics so that when I speak with a vet I know what I am asking in specific as opposed to them giving me broad terms and being unsure as to exactly what they are referring to. No matter what I am going to find out exactly what their procedure and the exact tests they are doing but I would like to try and educate myself more before that time. That way I can get a better understanding of everything and not stress and have to constantly call back.

Kind Regards

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
I think a gram stain/faecal or faecal float/culture (there are different types) should be first. If that shows nothing (and either way, once it can be done safely) a CBC --complete blood-count(as any bird old enough should have one as a baseline). Again, yours is younger, so maybe it's not a perfect time to get a CBC-- I am not a vet, but that is something all adult birds should have on file.

An x-ray (in the event of odd behavior or weight loss etc) would probably be next, assuming the CBC shows nothing but you still have doubts

If you were to have dietary concerns, I would ask about a vitamin panel (that is the name I use to refer to it and vets know it around here).

In terms of specific disease-- lets say your bird was having reddish urine when pooping, you might do a panel for heavy metals...

If your xray showed an enlarged proventriculus, you might test for PDD.

If poop is chunky, or there are odd feather patterns, you might do pdd/adv/pbfd (but even a bird without those symptoms can spread those if unknowingly infected-- even if they never get sick themselves)...It's really complicated and you have to start at the bottom and use process of elimination (+symptoms) to go from there.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Let's see your bird, can you share a picture?

Because its an exceptional low weight fir a cockatiel. I don't think he was 14% overweight.
I was asking if you offer free choice on pellets, does he have access to pellets when ever he wants? Or are you limiting?

In my opinion birds should always have access to food. They have simple short digestive system. High metabolism. And because they're are designed for flight and have to stay flight ready, they only it eat little all day long like a grazzer. Not gorge themselves all at once like predators.

What were the reasons you were taking him to the vet? If not the weight loss?

A second opinion from a different vet.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

Sorry to be wonky! Bell curve represents below average, average, above average and all between for most anything measurable, including weight. If the chart below represented cockatiel weight, most would be in the center bulged area, heavier birds to the left, lighter to the right. So yours would be well to the right side, representing the few birds lighter than average.

Benefits to X-Ray include skeletal outline, detection of metal and fairly dense foreign objects, general size of organs, and potential lung infections represented by darker shading within lungs.

montreat-for-slideshare-005-001.jpg

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots

Sorry to be wonky! Bell curve represents below average, average, above average and all between for most anything measurable, including weight. If the chart below represented cockatiel weight, most would be in the center bulged area, heavier birds to the left, lighter to the right. So yours would be well to the right side, representing the few birds lighter than average.

Benefits to X-Ray include skeletal outline, detection of metal and fairly dense foreign objects, general size of organs, and potential lung infections represented by darker shading within lungs.

Wait a minute...shouldn't each side of the bell curve have the same descriptor? Like, 98th percentile vs 2nd percentile would both be "definitely less than others", wouldn't they, hence the curve hitting the same values on opposite sides of the mean?

Last edited:
OP
R

rev

Nov 17, 2020
Let's see your bird, can you share a picture?

Because its an exceptional low weight fir a cockatiel. I don't think he was 14% overweight.
I was asking if you offer free choice on pellets, does he have access to pellets when ever he wants? Or are you limiting?

In my opinion birds should always have access to food. They have simple short digestive system. High metabolism. And because they're are designed for flight and have to stay flight ready, they only it eat little all day long like a grazzer. Not gorge themselves all at once like predators.

What were the reasons you were taking him to the vet? If not the weight loss?

A second opinion from a different vet.

Oh I misunderstood, yes he has access to his pellets at all times.

His yearly check up was due at the end of July but the dip in weight is what made me take him on the 29/04.

Here is some pictures and videos:

28/02/2021 - http://imgur.com/a/6cKE5tx
http://imgur.com/a/cPn97X9

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon

Wait a minute...shouldn't each side of the bell curve have the same descriptor? Like, 98th percentile vs 2nd percentile would both be "definitely less than others", wouldn't they?

Terms with in a 'chart' are specific to what the author is defining. Although there are recommended 'terms' and lay-outs, there is not a hard and fast 'must.'

OP
R

rev

Nov 17, 2020

Ah I understand now. Thanks for the xray info!

OP
R

rev

Nov 17, 2020
Is there any resources, books or websites which anyone recommends for me to learn more about the tests and general health? I feel like everyone here is a lot more educated regarding this than me which is understandable due to the more experience. Even so how did you learn?

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Cockatiels and budgies evolved as grass seed eaters, tho they eat plenty if other things in the wild, and cannot be maintained only on seeds in captivity. As seed only diet doesn't meet nutritional needs. But a strict pellet diet isn't always tge best. You feed veggies too which is fantastic..but I think at lest 10% of seeds in the diet would be good . Safflower, millit, oat grouts.
https://www.psittacology.com/what-do-cockatiels-eat/
"
Wild vs domestic cockatiels
As mentioned earlier, it’s important to keep the feeding habits of wild cockatiels in mind when thinking up a feeding routine for your domestic ‘tiel. After all, they’ve evolved for a very long time to get to where they are now in terms of feeding habits!"

An example of a cockatiel diet plan could be:

30% high quality pellets
30% vegetables
15% high quality seeds
10% fruits (they’re high in sugars, so don’t overdo them!)
15% other foods ( sprouts, legume, egg...),

You "
To add a bit more detail when I first got my bird he weighed around 84g over the next couple of months he went down to around 80g. As time went on he got lower until he seemed to settle at 75-76 in the AM. Could this have been to a change in diet? When I got him he was mainly on a seed diet. with 1/4 pellets if I remember correctly. Where as now he is on a full Harrisons High Potency diet along with veg in the mornings and evenings"
You " lowest 71 grams "
That's a 15.5% weight loss!!

Definitely explore medical reasons. But consider diet, as burd lost on diet changes.
https://wagwalking.com/bird/condition/weight-change

" weight loss of more than 3% of body weight from your bird over several days, indicates that your pet should be taken to your veterinarian soon. If your bird loses over 5%, then this is a very serious situation and needs immediate help. It may be life threatening for your pet so don’t linger. "

". If your bird has lost approximately 10% of its body weight within a month, your pet needs an avian veterinarian.

Your specialist will examine your bird and take tests if needed to determine the cause, and the treatment which should be administered. The veterinarian will want to rule out possible causes for a weight change such as inadequate diet or nutritional deficiency, thrush, obstruction due to ingestion of toy particles or rope, and diseases like pancreatic insufficiency."

A picture of your bird would be helpful .

I don't remember your reply. Does he have unlimited pellets? Or are feeding a measured amount?
Some parrots simple won't maintain their weight on a strict pellet diet.

Last edited:
OP
R

rev

Nov 17, 2020

Cockatiels and budgies evolved as grass seed eaters, tho they eat plenty if other things in the wild, and cannot be maintained only on seeds in captivity. As seed only diet doesn't meet nutritional needs. But a strict pellet diet isn't always tge best. You feed veggies too which is fantastic..but I think at lest 10% of seeds in the diet would be good . Safflower, millit, oat grouts.
https://www.psittacology.com/what-do-cockatiels-eat/
"
Wild vs domestic cockatiels
As mentioned earlier, it’s important to keep the feeding habits of wild cockatiels in mind when thinking up a feeding routine for your domestic ‘tiel. After all, they’ve evolved for a very long time to get to where they are now in terms of feeding habits!"

An example of a cockatiel diet plan could be:

30% high quality pellets
30% vegetables
15% high quality seeds
10% fruits (they’re high in sugars, so don’t overdo them!)
15% other foods ( sprouts, legume, egg...),

You "
To add a bit more detail when I first got my bird he weighed around 84g over the next couple of months he went down to around 80g. As time went on he got lower until he seemed to settle at 75-76 in the AM. Could this have been to a change in diet? When I got him he was mainly on a seed diet. with 1/4 pellets if I remember correctly. Where as now he is on a full Harrisons High Potency diet along with veg in the mornings and evenings"
You " lowest 71 grams "
That's a 15.5% weight loss!!

Definitely explore medical reasons. But consider diet, as burd lost on diet changes.
https://wagwalking.com/bird/condition/weight-change

" weight loss of more than 3% of body weight from your bird over several days, indicates that your pet should be taken to your veterinarian soon. If your bird loses over 5%, then this is a very serious situation and needs immediate help. It may be life threatening for your pet so don’t linger. "

". If your bird has lost approximately 10% of its body weight within a month, your pet needs an avian veterinarian.

Your specialist will examine your bird and take tests if needed to determine the cause, and the treatment which should be administered. The veterinarian will want to rule out possible causes for a weight change such as inadequate diet or nutritional deficiency, thrush, obstruction due to ingestion of toy particles or rope, and diseases like pancreatic insufficiency."

A picture of your bird would be helpful .

I don't remember your reply. Does he have unlimited pellets? Or are feeding a measured amount?
Some parrots simple won't maintain their weight on a strict pellet diet.

Thank you for the recommendations.

I posted a link to some photos and videos before but here they are again if you missed them: http://imgur.com/a/cPn97X9 http://imgur.com/a/6cKE5tx

And yes he has free access to his pellets at all times and an unlimited amount. He is on average eating 1.5 - 2 tsp of pellets per day.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Very pretty girl? Or hadn't had adult molt yet?
Seems very bright and obviously well loved!

Very hard to tell weight, the last link I could convince myself looks thinner.

Since she loves her bath! So cute!
If yiu really wet her breast chest area and share a picture, that might help to show keel . A pronounced keel would indicates under weight for her size..

Really looks bright and good.

What are your concerns about health again? The Weight loss? Or something else?

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts