Vet or pet shop clipping? six birds..

BreannPearlLang

Banned
Banned
Jul 3, 2012
I have six birds to take for wing clippings..
Should I take them all to the vet for this, or should I go to the petshop?
The petshop seems kinda novice. The conure I got from this petshop had an overgrown beak and an ugly clipping that i think resulted in blood feathers..
but either way, it'd be about $5 a bird at the petshop and $35 a bird at the vet

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
hmmm. i used to take mine to the vet for it until i was comfortable doing it myself. i once had the pet shop cut the nails too short and it bled a little. my vet was always a perfectionist about it.
If it were me personally i would take one or two to the vet and ask him to show me his method and then do the rest myself to save the money! Or if you know any specific employees in a pet shop that are more skilled than others, ask for that person maybe??

DebsFlock

Banned
Banned
Jul 19, 2012
Los Angeles County, near Palmdale
Parrots
Scooter -- male Green Cheek Conure "Normal" but that's a matter of opinion! Hatched in March 2010

Scotty -- Male Cape Parrot hatched somewhere between 2007-2009 we think

Caballo Blanco -- male C
I use the bird shop typically, but it is now an hour's drive away. We may go back to doing it ourselves, but it's kind of nice to let someone else be the "bad guy". I would have the vet do it if I was going in for checkups anyway, however.

What did you mean by "resulted in blood feathers"? Blood feathers are just the name for new feathers growing in that still have a blood supply -- they need the supply to grow, once they are done it basically clots off and dries out. Cutting a blood feather results in bleeding, which can be profuse.

Crazy4Birds

Oct 20, 2010
CT and FL
Parrots
Nicky (sun conure); RIP Gracie (senegal) and Benson (cockatiel)
I agree with ruffledfeathers. Maybe take the ones that are most difficult to handle to the vet and learn from them. I used to take my birds to a local shop to get their clippings done until I become comfortable enough to do it myself. It was only $4 a bird! But this place wasn't like Petco or anything. It was a small shop called Bird Haven and the store owners were also breeders. I wouldn't trust anyone from a pet store to do it unless I was sure they knew what they were doing.

suncon97

Jul 31, 2011
Parrots
Pearl-African Grey-Hatched Apr. 28,2011
I like vet best but that is because the only pet shop near me that does wings and nails has tons of other birds.Not worth the risk to me with all of the diseases that could possibly be spread.I guess it friends on the environment of the shop but something to consider.

DebsFlock

Banned
Banned
Jul 19, 2012
Parrots
Scooter -- male Green Cheek Conure "Normal" but that's a matter of opinion! Hatched in March 2010

Caballo Blanco -- male C
That is a point. The store I use tests all the for-sale birds and boarders for known testable diseases, but does allow birds in for grooming and shopping-with-owner without doing those tests. But they are also breeders and are VERY good with how they handle the birds. They do the grooming in front of you so you can see how they are handling your baby.

Henryofmagic

Sep 5, 2012
Queens,ny
Parrots
Macaw,cockatoo
Ok umm I would call different vets tell them the deal 6 birds need clipping trimming, offer a price say can you do it for 15 a bird it's just a clipping not a check up..I would go to a vet over a Petstore because Petstore have workers that just sell pets know very little about birds and I know For sure that a vet knows what's he is doing they didn't go school for no reason right?

Enjoy
Henry

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
Vets or pet shops don't necessarily know how to trim wings.. A petshop near me only clip one wing - they swear that's the way to do it... I can't convince them otherwise...

Do you really need to clip your birds wings? If so you need to go to an Avian vet.. I would also research wing clipping, so you know exactly how you want them done...

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
BreannPearlLang

I do realize you have six birds, and it can be expensive BUT

You mentioned .....
The petshop seems kinda novice. The conure I got from this petshop had an overgrown beak and an ugly clipping that i think resulted in blood feathers..

That alone should your question

DebsFlock

Banned
Banned
Jul 19, 2012
Parrots

Caballo Blanco -- male C
There are bird shops where the people are very experienced, I think it totally depends on what you have available.

WannaBeAParrot

Jul 5, 2012
Media
SE Florida and Sullivan County, NY
Parrots
Cody-Blu, female Blue-Crowned Conure, Hatched - (approx) June 1, 2014, in a South Florida tree.

Pritti (Cherry-Head Conure) -- Fly in Peace my beautiful boy. Forever I'll love you.
BreannPearlLang,
What city or county/state are you in or near? Maybe someone here has a recommendation. $35 each sounds high for wing clipping, although I don't know what kind of birds you have. Henry suggested what I would. Call, email, fax or visit vet's office - tell them 6 birds and sizes or species, how many times a year you will expect to bring them in for clipping and make a deal. Part of the vet's charges are for running the office (staff time to set appt, waiting room, billing, bringing you in available room, etc.). With 6 birds, they cut down on that stuff and get 6x the business. Stay in the room and see if you can learn to handle the clipping for any of the flock. Me, I can't do Pritti alone (I mean I can, but I'm too chicken he'll squirm and I'll hurt him).

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
I do it myself, it's actually very easy to do but if you feel inexperianced it's good to watch someone do it first and hopefully be able to show you a blood feather.

OP
B

BreannPearlLang

Banned
Banned
Jul 3, 2012
BreannPearlLang,
What city or county/state are you in or near? Maybe someone here has a recommendation. $35 each sounds high for wing clipping, although I don't know what kind of birds you have. Henry suggested what I would. Call, email, fax or visit vet's office - tell them 6 birds and sizes or species, how many times a year you will expect to bring them in for clipping and make a deal. Part of the vet's charges are for running the office (staff time to set appt, waiting room, billing, bringing you in available room, etc.). With 6 birds, they cut down on that stuff and get 6x the business. Stay in the room and see if you can learn to handle the clipping for any of the flock. Me, I can't do Pritti alone (I mean I can, but I'm too chicken he'll squirm and I'll hurt him).

Soldotna, Alaska.

amysaviary

Dec 16, 2011
Chambersburg PA
Parrots
African Grey-Kenya
Blue and Gold- Baby
Jenday Conure- Izzy
Hahns Macaw- Derby
Cockatiel- Lemon
Senegal-Dylan

I breed, Sun, Green Cheek, Black Capped and Crimson Bellied Conures. Also IRN's
I am a breeder so I do all my guys and I also clip for others, all I would say is feel safe with whoever u have do it.

Also most vets will do what is called a flock fee. Ask about this, it is normally 3 or 5 birds for the price of 1. It all depends on the vet, I know 2 that r 3 birds per flock but 1 I know it is 5. It might save u a bunch of money if u ask about that!!

Most Reactions