Alwese

Jul 25, 2010
Media
Jacksonville, Florida
Parrots
Clifford-Scarlet Macaw
Kayko- B&G Macaw
Doogie - Catalina Hybrid Macaw
I have lived in Jacksonville Florida for 33 years and have never gone to the Veteran's Day Parade (mostly because I always had to work) Now in retirement I took my B&G and my Scarlet and went down to the parade. With one red and one blue bird, I only needed my white shirt to complete the patriotic picture. People in the parade were just as surprised to see me with the birds and were taking pictures from cars and floats. Much to my surprise the State Governor, Rick Scott was near the front of the parade and came over to shake my hand. He almost got to have Kayko on his arm, but he had to move on. The mayor also came by and remembered that he DID have Kayko on his arm the day before winning the election. Kayko is really getting around.

luv4scjjt

Sep 26, 2012
upstate ny
Parrots
Jessie,african grey(Timneh)
Bayshing,harlaquin macaw
Fawx,greenwing macaw
Rizzo,greenwing macaw
Polly,catalina macaw
How cool. I have started teaching fawx with a leash so i can take her out in public some day. It is so nice that you can take your fid's out. Are they friendly with strangers or do you have to warn them before loosing fingers? lol

OP
Alwese

Alwese

Jul 25, 2010
Media
Jacksonville, Florida
Parrots
Clifford-Scarlet Macaw
Kayko- B&G Macaw
My Scarlet would bite you so badly immediately you would have to go to the hospital. My B&G Kayko is too stupid to bite anybody and can be safely trusted being on the arm of a two year old child, which he has done at least 5,000 times in the past year alone. Kayko has to be the most photographed macaw in Jacksonville. Most people think they are like a dog or a cat and "one man bird" syndrome has to be explained to all of them. Two weeks ago I was approached at the mall by a lady who was a trainer for macaws at Busch Gardens Tampa. She wanted to know how I managed to train Kayko so he was good with everybody. I had to tell her that is was NOT my superior training ability, it was just a fact that Kayko took the short bus to school! By the way, your listing says "upstate NY" I was born and raised in Lockport, NY which is north of Buffalo. Where are you from?

Last edited:

JJones1719

Mar 9, 2011
Media
MD
Parrots
7 Year old SI Eclectus named Guapo, I have a 6 year old GW Macaw named Neleno
Alwese, keep this up and your State will have to change it's State Bird. hehehehehe

OP
Alwese

Alwese

Jul 25, 2010
Media
Jacksonville, Florida
Parrots
Clifford-Scarlet Macaw
Kayko- B&G Macaw
I have also been pressing the limits of taking my bird into places to see if they will throw me out. Much to my surprise I was talking with the manager of my local Wal-Mart and she said that their policy was NOT to stop people with animals coming into the store. I've given that one a test twice now in Wal-Mart, first going to the prescription counter but walking right past the greeter at the door like it was a normal every day thing. People inside were both shocked and delighted. I took my wife to the doctor today and found a shock myself that "Service Animals" for the blind are not limited to just dogs. At the doctors was a blind lady with a MINATURE PONY barely 2' tall named Confetti. She has a web site on him and told of her first flight on a commercial airliner with him in the passenger compartment! If I do get any static about having my bird with me I will relate about Confetti to them

triordan

Sep 1, 2010
Maryland
Parrots
Remington~ GW Macaw
Ollie/Olivia~ CAG
i was actually embarrassed to see on the news the lack of people at our parade this year~ they should have had it on Sunday instead of Monday

luv4scjjt

Sep 26, 2012
upstate ny
Parrots
Jessie,african grey(Timneh)
Bayshing,harlaquin macaw
Fawx,greenwing macaw
Rizzo,greenwing macaw
Polly,catalina macaw
Im from Syracuse. I guess that's east from Buffalo. Or as i call it booofaloooo. lol. I am leash trainging Fawx now and will be taking her to as many places as i possably can and encouraging her with as many people as i can. Never a garenty to work but hopefully will help. Bayshing im affraid is to set in her ways and don't care for anyone touching her. My hubby is still working with her. I will never have a chance with her at all. She hates the air i breath and the dirt i walk on. lol

OP
Alwese

Alwese

Jul 25, 2010
Media
Jacksonville, Florida
Parrots
Clifford-Scarlet Macaw
Kayko- B&G Macaw
She hates the air i breath and the dirt i walk on. lol

That sounds like the love/hate relationship my wife has with Clifford. When she comes up behind me at the outdoor mall and spreads her arms she gets Clifford to "Eagle" for everybody. He certainly recognizes her anywhere. Keep up the good work socializing your birds. They appreciate getting out and you will too.

Last edited:

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
I have also been pressing the limits of taking my bird into places to see if they will throw me out. Much to my surprise I was talking with the manager of my local Wal-Mart and she said that their policy was NOT to stop people with animals coming into the store. I've given that one a test twice now in Wal-Mart, first going to the prescription counter but walking right past the greeter at the door like it was a normal every day thing. People inside were both shocked and delighted.

I've taken birds into Walmart as well! Well, Casey, my first tiel, and Noel (RIP), first conure. During the heat of summer, I couldn't leave them in the car... so in the store it was! Also took Kiwi(RP), another tiel, into Smiths(?) and Home Depot. The people in HD thought Kiwi was so neat, and one even thought a bird had gotten into the store somewhere! Dogs at HD is no big deal. Sure, they are cute, but it's a dog! *rolls eyes* But a bird? That's new!

Another time I was in Walmart, someone had a grey cockatiel in with them and I found it so amusing! Birds feathers were scraggly, so I did wonder about the birds health, but besides the health, it appeared the tiel was a close companion.

It's a shame you don't have pictures of the parade and you with your 'caws! Would have been great to see! And I bet they enjoyed all the hubbub as well!

OP
Alwese

Alwese

Jul 25, 2010
Media
Jacksonville, Florida
Parrots
Clifford-Scarlet Macaw
Kayko- B&G Macaw
It's a shame you don't have pictures of the parade and you with your 'caws! Would have been great to see! And I bet they enjoyed all the hubbub as well!

My wife was not feeling well so I went alone to the parade with the birds. Without a cameraman I'm not going to get any pictures. Kayko was a little afraid of the big bass drums; Clifford would just hollar over them! I had to step back a couple of times from the side exhaust of diesel fire trucks and military vehicles. They LOVE to be out!!

Most Reactions

Latest posts