visitors...

WannaBeAParrot

Jul 5, 2012
Media
SE Florida and Sullivan County, NY
Parrots
Cody-Blu, female Blue-Crowned Conure, Hatched - (approx) June 1, 2014, in a South Florida tree.

Pritti (Cherry-Head Conure) -- Fly in Peace my beautiful boy. Forever I'll love you.
Couple of thoughts.
1. Move the bird to another room on a playstand for the couple of hours or so they are visiting.
2. Tell everyone nicely by phone (not text or email) before they get there that the bird is off limits that day to everyone but you because it makes him nervous and unsettled and is just too much activity and commotion for him.
3. If someone insists on wanting to interact with your bird, then let them show it is is a trrue interest and make them read a page or watch a short video on basic do's and don'ts.

U shouldn't be put in a position by adults to protect your bird from what equates to parrot bullying and teasing. You could even gently let them know that strangers interacting without knowing how to, can be just like teasing and bullying a small child and is upsetting and disrespectful to you as the bird's caretaker. It has as much to do with (dis)respecting you when you ask them to leave your bird alone as it does them to leave your bird be.

How about putting a sign on his cage (I use Parrot because I don't know his name):

MY PARROT NEEDS QUIET TIME TODAY.

or
RESPECT ME BY RESPECTING MY PARROT.

or
MY PARROT WANTS TO BE LEFT ALONE TODAY.

or
BACK OFF. NOW !!!!!

or
DO YOU LIKE IT WHEN PEOPLE KEEP BOTHERING YOU?

or
STAY AWAY, AND I MEAN IT (signed by you).

Seriously, if they can't play nice, then you have to get tough.

nyspy

Nov 5, 2013
Parrots
Pretty Birdy (BG Macaw)
Duke (BG Macaw)
I just tell people my macaws bite and not to provoke the bird. I then go into a small educational session about how a macaw's bite force can be up to 1200 psi and a pitbull's is around 268 psi. They usually get it immediately and leave birdy alone.

The reality is all birds bite so I'm not lying and personally, I don't need the liability. When small children are around, my macaw never leaves my hand / arm. If they come close, I tell them "No.. Birdy is tired right now and not in a good mood. He needs some time to rest. I'll let you know when he's ready to be pet." It seems to work with the children.

EDIT: If they still persist, I tell them the bird is flighted and will attack anyone that pisses them off. Usually that does it. Especially when I show them the scars on my arm. (I point one out and let them know that one went deep into the muscle).

EDIT 2: Pretty birdy spreads his wings whenever he sees someone new with the "I am going to rip the nose off your face" look. I tell people, "I wouldn't go near him. He clearly doesn't like you." The uneasy responses are funny. I also tell them 5 feet away if you don't want him to attack, because he will.

Also.. Nobody is allowed in my house that can't respect my bird rules. I HAVE and WILL ask someone to leave.. Politely or not.

Last edited:

Blueridge

Sep 16, 2013
North Carolina
Parrots
Rocky - Yellow-Faced Quaker Parrot
Put your bird in a separate room or just tell your family to back off or you'll get your parrot to bite their noses off.

Most Reactions

Latest posts