Wait, what!?

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
Okay so was just on a Facebook parrot group and apparently someone's Budgie ate her own eggs! :eek:

This is news to me, birds eat their own eggs sometimes? What?

Serious revelation on these adorable looking creatures

Katu

May 27, 2017
GTA, ON
Parrots
Male blue budgie!
Source of protein and calcium. Maybe it was dietary supplementation.

OP
LordTriggs

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
yeah I read up on it, just something I never though of until now. bit of a shock to suddenly hear

makes sense but saying that I find that side of nature a bit upsetting

Bryce

Sep 26, 2017
Long Island
Parrots
Ruby, Psittacus erithacus, 17 y/o f.
If you think that's bad I take it you never had hamsters, heh.

Also, was the egg fertile? If not then it's just straight-up recycling. Better the bird eat it than to be placed in the awkward position of wasting a perfectly good, if tiny, egg... or having an omelette ala Polly like some people. (If you go that strange (but ethically unimpeachable, at least for non-vegans) route, please be sure to wash it and cook it through, no runny yolk.)

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
Oh wow, here I was thinking maybe the poor thing was starving or may have a deficiency?

Katu

May 27, 2017
GTA, ON
Parrots
Male blue budgie!
If you think that's bad I take it you never had hamsters, heh.

Also, was the egg fertile? If not then it's just straight-up recycling. Better the bird eat it than to be placed in the awkward position of wasting a perfectly good, if tiny, egg... or having an omelette ala Polly like some people. (If you go that strange (but ethically unimpeachable, at least for non-vegans) route, please be sure to wash it and cook it through, no runny yolk.)

Oh my, I remember having to remove a headless gerbil from the cage once. My kids were traumatized for life with that one. Me too really. :eek:

OP
LordTriggs

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
my sister had a hamster but well one don't make babies. Don't know anything about the bird, just something I saw. gives a different outlook on them. I mean, I'm aware a lot of animals will eat their young in some situations just didn't know a bird would eat their own egg, does seem a useful way of dealing with a pointless egg I guess.

Okay I gotta admit I have always been interested to know what parrot egg tastes like. Glad I'm not the only one to have that thought! Though I will say I have... intrigues further than a lot of people would go when it comes to different food stuffs

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
It's a frustrating reality of breeding. I've only had one pair do it but it's frustrating to figure out why and put a stop to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Latest posts