ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
Nah, yours is massive for such a tiny leg.

I had a canary a long, long time ago (when I was only a third of my size today) who probably had bumblefoot, but we never knew that (no internet, middle of nowhere, no CAV, too young for a bird-club blah blah).
He was just as bad (also lost part of some toes etc.).
(In his case if was the middlefoot, not the ankle that was the worst, though that was also affected)

He never really recovered ( he got better, worse, better, worse while being treated for "some kind of infection" and then we had a really really hard winter and he just stopped, he was the only bird in the aviary who had these issues, so at first we suspected inbreeding of some sort -> I was given a lot of secondhand/secondlife birds, some were a mess, others just elderly).

Last edited:

cockatielmama

Dec 5, 2018
Nah, yours is massive for such a tiny leg.

I had a canary a long, long time ago (when I was only a third of my size today) who probably had bumblefoot, but we never knew that (no internet, middle of nowhere, no CAV, too young for a bird-club blah blah).
He was just as bad (also lost part of some toes etc.).
(In his case if was the middlefoot, not the ankle that was the worst, though that was also affected)

He never really recovered ( he got better, worse, better, worse while being treated for "some kind of infection" and then we had a really really hard winter and he just stopped, he was the only bird in the aviary who had these issues, so at first we suspected inbreeding of some sort -> I was given a lot of secondhand/secondlife birds, some were a mess, others just elderly).

I'm scared what if her bumblefoot comes back and never heals?:15:

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
Parrots
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
It probably will, all we did was soak the foot in some mild disinfectant (like you would with a inflamed toe) and he really improved.
You have the real deal! (meds etc.)
And you know what you are dealing with. (knowledge is power)

If nothing works it is probably s. aureus, a nasty little bugger that is resisitant to most "usual" (widely used) antibiotics, but you can get a culture done and get some bactria-species-specific antibiotic.
But jump that hurdle when you get to it ... he will probably improve just fine on what you are doing now.

As everyone told me (and you) it takes time, it is not one of the "quick fix"things.

cockatielmama

Dec 5, 2018
Thank you giving giving me hope! Even the doctor said it's gonna take some months to see a difference. Right now, her scabs are peeling and slowly revealing new skin. The one foot with a sore ankle is actually not that bad but I think it has healed 100% and that's why shes having a sore ankle. We have replace all perches with rope for now. And soon were going to use vet wrap and moleskin tape to make the perches cushiony

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
Bumblefoot is such a frustrating condition because it's so hard to get rid of, simply because it's caused/made worse by pressure on the same areas, and how does a bird not put pressure on the bottom of their feet, or in this case their ankles, as they are just like people, they each stand a certain way and put pressure on certain spots...Just like the souls and heels of our shoes wear-out in a pattern that is specific to each, individual person (I wear a lot of boots with small, chunky heels, and on each foot the outside edge of each heel starts almost immediately wearing, so that I'm walking on an angled heel within a week or two of buying new boots; I'm walking on a paved parking lot all day long at the car dealership)...drives me nuts, I'm constantly putting new heels on my boots...

****I saw an episode of "Dr. K's Exotic Animal ER" where they have their own in-house, portable Laser unit that they use to treat ALL wounds, new surgical sites/incisions, damaged scales on reptiles, and on every single case of Bumblefoot that comes through the door, and they have basically found that the Laser is the ONLY treatment that actually really does "cure" the Bumblefoot within a few weeks of treatment...The owners of the pets with Bumblefoot (not just birds but also very common in Rats, Guinea Pigs, Ferrets, etc) will swing by the Veterinary Office once a day, every day (skipping Sundays) so that the Bumblefoot can be quickly Lasered (a treatment takes all of 5-10 minutes), and within a month the Bumblefoot is completely gone...And that's with the animal still walking/standing on it normally every day. They showed a pet Rat that had the worst case of Bumblefoot I've ever seen on BOTH of his poor little feet, it was on his heels and it was horribly swollen and just looked so sore, it basically took over his entire feet...And then a month later his feet were normal, just from the once-daily Laser Treatments!!!

The Laser treatments simply increase the blood-supply to the area to speed the healing process by as much as 90% according to the show...They all use the Laser on themselves all day long, lol. Anytime any of the employees have a cut or open wound, sore muscles, bruises, sprains, tennis elbow in one case, etc., they just grab the little Laser and treat themselves with it once a day, and they all swear by it. It works so well that the Everglades Wildlife Rescue and Sanctuary has someone from Dr. K's office bring the Laser to their facility to treat all of their animals with injuries/wounds to speed their healing so they can be released back into the wild sooner...in the episode I saw Dr. K brought the Laser unit to the Everglades Wildlife Rescue to treat a bunch of wild Pelicans that were all there due to getting their bills/beaks caught in fishing line and hooks, which causes horrible and very large tears inside of their mouths and often down their necks/throats and on their faces...And damn if that little Laser once a day for a week didn't completely heal some of the most awful and huge open wounds on these poor Pelican's faces and necks...

So it's all about finding a Veterinary Office that has a Laser unit that they use to treat wounds...I don't know how common they are, but they aren't like huge lasers or anything, it's a very small, portable unit that reminds me of a portable "JumpBox" that you use to jump-start cars with. It actually looks very much like a JumpBox in shape and size, except it has a little "wand" on a cord that is the part you use to treat the wounds...I would imagine that if you live in any metropolitan area or anywhere near a Veterinary Medical School/Hospital, there will be Veterinary Offices and Hospitals that have them, specifically Exotic Animal Hospitals and offices...And certainly any and all Veterinary Medical Schools and teaching hospitals have them...

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
Parrots
any fumble fingered idiot can operate those lasers ( LOL I know, because I did it), just do not ever aim them at/ in your eyes or the eyes of the animal you treat (that why they always add a coloured light with the beam and you have you wear those protective goggles).
They are not a cure-all, but they certainly help.

cockatielmama

Dec 5, 2018
Bumblefoot is such a frustrating condition because it's so hard to get rid of, simply because it's caused/made worse by pressure on the same areas, and how does a bird not put pressure on the bottom of their feet, or in this case their ankles, as they are just like people, they each stand a certain way and put pressure on certain spots...Just like the souls and heels of our shoes wear-out in a pattern that is specific to each, individual person (I wear a lot of boots with small, chunky heels, and on each foot the outside edge of each heel starts almost immediately wearing, so that I'm walking on an angled heel within a week or two of buying new boots; I'm walking on a paved parking lot all day long at the car dealership)...drives me nuts, I'm constantly putting new heels on my boots...

****I saw an episode of "Dr. K's Exotic Animal ER" where they have their own in-house, portable Laser unit that they use to treat ALL wounds, new surgical sites/incisions, damaged scales on reptiles, and on every single case of Bumblefoot that comes through the door, and they have basically found that the Laser is the ONLY treatment that actually really does "cure" the Bumblefoot within a few weeks of treatment...The owners of the pets with Bumblefoot (not just birds but also very common in Rats, Guinea Pigs, Ferrets, etc) will swing by the Veterinary Office once a day, every day (skipping Sundays) so that the Bumblefoot can be quickly Lasered (a treatment takes all of 5-10 minutes), and within a month the Bumblefoot is completely gone...And that's with the animal still walking/standing on it normally every day. They showed a pet Rat that had the worst case of Bumblefoot I've ever seen on BOTH of his poor little feet, it was on his heels and it was horribly swollen and just looked so sore, it basically took over his entire feet...And then a month later his feet were normal, just from the once-daily Laser Treatments!!!

The Laser treatments simply increase the blood-supply to the area to speed the healing process by as much as 90% according to the show...They all use the Laser on themselves all day long, lol. Anytime any of the employees have a cut or open wound, sore muscles, bruises, sprains, tennis elbow in one case, etc., they just grab the little Laser and treat themselves with it once a day, and they all swear by it. It works so well that the Everglades Wildlife Rescue and Sanctuary has someone from Dr. K's office bring the Laser to their facility to treat all of their animals with injuries/wounds to speed their healing so they can be released back into the wild sooner...in the episode I saw Dr. K brought the Laser unit to the Everglades Wildlife Rescue to treat a bunch of wild Pelicans that were all there due to getting their bills/beaks caught in fishing line and hooks, which causes horrible and very large tears inside of their mouths and often down their necks/throats and on their faces...And damn if that little Laser once a day for a week didn't completely heal some of the most awful and huge open wounds on these poor Pelican's faces and necks...

So it's all about finding a Veterinary Office that has a Laser unit that they use to treat wounds...I don't know how common they are, but they aren't like huge lasers or anything, it's a very small, portable unit that reminds me of a portable "JumpBox" that you use to jump-start cars with. It actually looks very much like a JumpBox in shape and size, except it has a little "wand" on a cord that is the part you use to treat the wounds...I would imagine that if you live in any metropolitan area or anywhere near a Veterinary Medical School/Hospital, there will be Veterinary Offices and Hospitals that have them, specifically Exotic Animal Hospitals and offices...And certainly any and all Veterinary Medical Schools and teaching hospitals have them...

I will ask the vet about laser treatment and see what he says. I'm not sure if they hae laser treatments but other vets in the city are doing the laser treatment. Tho im not sure if they would do it on a bird.

cockatielmama

Dec 5, 2018
So we took her to the vet because she lost quiet a good amount of weight. She used to be in 90-95 gram and now she weighs 65 grams. The vet is going to keep her overnight and has already fed her baby formula. She's in the incubator right now and is feeling comfortable. One thing my brother noticed a few days ago is that she seemed small but she was trying to puff up her feathers to look big. That's a big sign that she's sick. And he felt her keel bone a few days ago and it felt bony. Today, the vet checked her bone and she was so bony it broke my heart:(. He thought the bumblefoot didn't look to bad and should be fixed using tricide. He also said that the med that we're using on her (gentamycin), would only use for 5 days max. Our last vet told us to keep using it for as along we want until the bumblefoot is healed. He also said that genticin can cause problems in organs. So he told us to stop using all the antibiotics. He doesn't think her weight loss is caused by the bumblefoot because it doesn't seem to be that bad. But I think it might've caused her to not want to eat anything because she seemed like she was in pain. She was limping again a few days ago and we shouldn't forget the whole "walking on ankle" thing. He also said that the swelling in ankle didn't seem bad enough. He suspects either a liver or kidney issue. But he can't get her on meds because she needs to fatten up.

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
Parrots
Ohnoes, poor you and poor birdy!

Glad to hear your vet is really trying his best!
Keeping fingers and toes crossed for a speedy recovery.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Dang it sometimes the cure ( antibiotics) are hard in them, especially given long term . Glad you got her in, hopefully she starts feei better..

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Oh Cockatielmamma! I'm so sorry!! Awww. You worked so hard to make her feel better! You have my hugs, and my sympathies. It's so hard to loose our babies! Awww honey.. just so sorry.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I am so sorry. Please, do not for one minute blame yourself for this. Love is not something that all people or birds find in this lifetime, and your bird had your love...A lot of love. That is what you need to remember. I hope that, in time, you heal. I cannot imagine the pain you are feeling right now.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
I am so very sad and sorry!
You saw that little bird out with love, and that is a precious, priceless treasure.
Thank you for sharing her with us! We are richer for it.

Sunnyclover

Jan 11, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Sun Conure - Ollie- Hatched 08/18/16*

Nanday Conure -Finley- Hatched 10/07/17*

Turquoise Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Paris- Hatched 03/03/18*

Black Capped Conure -North- Hatched 10/10/18
That's just terrible. After reading this thread it really is very sad because you really gave it your all to help her. Sometimes our all isn't enough for our special ones.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
My deepest condolences for the loss of your cockatiel. Your love and dedication was surely appreciated. I hope her beautiful memories will eventually bring more joy than sadness.

It may bring you comfort to create a thread in the Bereavement forum if desired.

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
I'm so very sorry for your loss. Your love and concern for your little sweetheart was so obvious in your posts, you did everything right and tried so hard and I know your little love was comforted by your presence. I know the pain is awful but the sharp edges will wear away in time and your sweet memories will comfort you.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I am so sorry for your loss. You did everything you could, and I know your love & caring gave her comfort. Sending hugs and deepest condolences.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Your kindness and love made a great difference in her life. You are among fellow Parrot Lovers who understand the sadness of such a loss. Warm Amazon Feather Hugs and Prays.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
I'm so sorry to read about your precious baby:eek: Sometimes life is just not fair!

Jim

Most Reactions

Latest posts