Wanted a Cocatoo for our Family

sonja

Jul 31, 2012
Mini, I am so glad you are doing research before plunging into cockatoo ownership! I have 2 Moluccans that I love with all my heart - and that I waited to get until I had over 20 years of parrot experience! And, even then I wasn't sure I was ready! As I'm sure you've read over and over, 'toos are LOUD, the bites HURT, hormones make them CRAZY, some will ATTACK, they are EXPENSIVE to feed and provide toys for, they can DESTROY things in the blink of an eye. They will completely take over and dominate your life, for the rest of your life.

If you take a look around the site, you will see many threads from happy cockatoo owners, and many from people who soon realized it was the worst decision of their life. Many, many people who get cockatoos end up getting rid of them in very short order.

Do you have a parrot rescue nearby that you could volunteer with? This is the best way to experience many types of parrots and many different personalities. Chances are, your new bird would pick you!

Minimaker

Jul 29, 2014
Illinois
Parrots
GW Macaw-Sailor, Goffins Cockatoo Mako, GC Conure-Tazzy, Turquoise Conure Yuki, Budgies-Percy, Annabeth, Elsa
Kevin the vulture bit me a couple of times when I moved too fast and startled him and drew blood with just a light nip. For some reason he didn't like my son and would advance threateningly if he got too close. He knew to back off and leave him alone when he did that. I think it was because he moved too fast around him and made him feel threatened. I know that can happen and everyone will have to behave accordingly to what the bird wants or needs. If he needs space, they'll have to give it to him. But I'll be working with him every day since I'm home all the time. But thanks for pointing out where to look for more answers. I've just begun looking around this forum so I'll go find that information and see what everyone says about them. I don't want a bird who will hate us or be unhappy so I want to research this fully before making a decision. Money is not an issue in my choice, the best bird for us is the issue I'm checking out at this point. We have an english bulldog that cost that much so I know my husband will be fine with the price. We just love animals too much to care about that.

c7bd09f8-b692-4688-a037-ba567010774c_zps7904f5f2.jpg

aa07bd83-a3aa-42c2-9d24-bc383cdac613_zpsde6eaca0.jpg

Minimaker

Jul 29, 2014
Illinois
Parrots
GW Macaw-Sailor, Goffins Cockatoo Mako, GC Conure-Tazzy, Turquoise Conure Yuki, Budgies-Percy, Annabeth, Elsa
Oh also, did anyone have a better option of the larger breed parrots that might be better for a beginner? No one mentioned another option.

sonja

Jul 31, 2012
Hey, Mini, I'd suggest starting a new thread. Your question is sort of getting "lost" piggybacking on this thread started by jthrope. Spell out the details of your current living situation and what you are looking for in a bird.

I'll put some thoughts, here, too: IN GENERAL, "big birds" are not thought of as beginner birds. Of course there are exceptions. You have some things definitely in your favor as compared to many beginners:
~Sounds like you have stable housing, maybe you own?, but at least won't be trying to rent with a big loud bird as you go to a college dorm, or move around to multiple rental apartments. That is a big plus since so many birds lose their homes over land lord issues.
~You say you have the income to support a bird that will cost you some good money over the years. A large bird cage can easily be $1000 to start, plus the cost of the bird, or adoption fee, plus toys for large birds that get demolished as fast as you can buy them (for $50 a pop), plus a healthy diet. So, that's in your favor, too.
~You have time for a bird. Good.

Some other birds to check out, if you insist on a large bird, might be Blue and Gold macaws. They are generally thought to be a bit "easier" temperaments than other macaws, and CERTAINLY easier temperaments than most cockatoos!
If you are set on a cockatoo, check out Galahs. So, so beautiful, but generally not the mental cases that the big white 'toos can be.

As I mentioned before, do you have a rescue you can volunteer with? You would gain so much information and knowledge about what you really like, versus what you imagine you will like. And, many people find the bird of their dreams that way, and it may be a species you weren't even expecting, but you and the bird have a great bond together.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Mini, Kevin was precious as a baby! What a great story. I loved how he hung around for a little bit even after release, but he wasn't so imprinted on humans that he couldn't have a normal wild life. Happy story! :)

As far as a bird which might be better at first... Let us know what qualities you'd like to find in a pet bird. For example, would you like a species who usually likes to cuddle, or are you okay with more hands off? It seems you might prefer one who likes to cuddle? Typically, the species who like cuddling more are going to be more 'high maintenance'. There is ONE species however... that I can think of that is the best of potentially cuddly (if used to being handled a lot while weaning), AND is ALSO independent.... Poicephalus! Research on the web - and search the forum for the several different Poi species out there. BUT - I gather you'd like a larger bird. There are two larger Poicephalus, the Jardine's parrot (Medium size) and Cape parrot (smaller African Grey size). The Capes are on the pricey side, but since you don't mind (as you say, you have an English Bulldog ;)) you might consider. :)

Pionus are a nice medium sized bird. They aren't as loud as other species for their size, they're pretty independent birds. Many of them enjoy hanging out with their owners or family, and being on you, enjoying head skritches. Most of them do not like too much "petting" though. As far as parrots go, relatively low maintenance. Of course all personalities vary, but generally speaking, females might be a sweeter and more even keeled pet after sexual maturity kicks in.

Since you really like the Cockatoos, why not check out the Rose Breasted Cockatoo (or their native name Galah). I think they might have a slightly less challenging way about them than the white Cockatoos. Although ALL parrot species can be trying at times :)! There are many Rosie owners here on this forum to answer species specific questions about personality.

...Or maybe one of the smaller Amazons? They, like the Pionus aren't known to be cuddly (typically anyway) except for neck skritches, and like Pionus, females are known to be 'gentler' after sexual maturity generally speaking. I'd love to have an Amazon! Smart, many are good talkers, entertaining AND independent.

There... How's that for a short list of suggestions to get you started. Although any type of parrot requires interaction, and can pose challenges, I've listed a few of the species that MIGHT be better suited to a beginning home than a large white Too like an Umbrella. Hope it helps :)

Also search this forum under the species threads, and if a certain species catches your interest, go online and research more! Of course we all know not all that is online is 100% accurate, but can serve as a general guideline. I'd keep in mind too, that breeder's websites will be biased towards the species they're selling.

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
There's only a couple things I'd mention.... Absolutely DO NOT hand feed/wean a too yourself. They are probably the hardest parrot to wean and hand feeding should be left to the experts in the best of circumstances.

The only other thing I would mention is go visit as many toos as you can. Like children they grow up and aren't the same sweet baby you started out with.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Minimaker

Jul 29, 2014
Illinois
Parrots
Thanks so much for the information everyone, I really appreciate it. I didn't mean to take over another person's thread-it just sort of happened I guess when I posted a quick question that turned into a full fledged conversation. Although it sounds like she may have bowed out anyway? She sounded a little upset. But that's besides the point.

I'll be moving around the forum as I try to decide which parrot is best for our family. I'm here for research and answers because I am new and I need the benefit of you lovely people's knowledge on the subject so I don't make a mistake :)

Oh just saw the above reply-the breeder I found will have me over for awhile to help with the feedings for some time before we are allowed to take the bird home with us. She thought it would be best to have some of that interaction between us and the baby so that it might help it bond to us before we take it home.

Last edited:

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, MaximilianĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
I second the Karens - weaning yourself is popular right now, and sadly a slightly misguided trend. I am not saying that people should not do it, but it does NOT mean you will bond better with your bird. Think of it like yourself. Who are your BEST friends. Are they your parents, or the friends you have made outside your family? Some people's best friends ARE their parents, but most would rather make their own friends. Parrots are similar. Also, weaning is a critical learning time for parrots. You have a lot of bird experience, but parrots are not like other birds. I highly suggest your first parrot NOT be one that you wean yourself. However, that is a personal choice that you may choose to make. I suggest doing research on arguments for and against before making your choice. Many breeders send babies home pre-weaning because it saves them time and money. They say it is for your good, but that is not always the motivation. That said, Dr. Steve Hartman of the Parrot University in Ohio makes a great case for weaning your own baby - I suggest reading everything you can get your hands on by him. His reasons have nothing to so with bonding, however.

Ok, as for other species, I agree that Pionus and some Amazons can be GREAT first "big birds" and I also think you sound like a great future parrot owner! Typically I tell people not to ever get a "starter bird" so keep in mind whatever bird you get needs to be one you are IN LOVE WITH, not one you plan to "upgrade" from to a cockatoo. I think cockatoos are generally considered the black diamond slope of the bird world, I have not heard of any being considered more difficult. I suggest you sit down with your family and come up with a list of priorities. Be honest about what you want, because this bird will be in your life for the next 30-90 years :) Sounds like your kids will be looking after it when you are gone, so be sure to include them in the choice.

Some things to consider are
color
talking ability
noise level
size
temperament
is this bird likely to become a one person bird?
How cuddly
more playful, or more serious?
Is it important to you that the bird be very common or uncommon?

My #1 choice for a bird is a Green Cheeked Conure. Spunky, but cuddly. They can have a favorite person but are not as likely to form a mate bond with one person and despise all others. My Flick loves my husband best, but spends most of her time with me since he is gone a lot. She will step up for anyone. Cache loves my sister the best, but again will step up for anyone (as long as they are not wearing blue nail polish) and will lay on her back for snuggles. Delta and Beret love each other best, but like snuggles from whomever will give them. They can learn to talk, but most do not. However they are "nice and quiet" as far as conures go and they come in a whole range of colors. Some people don't like them because they are so small, but to me that is a plus because it is much easier for me to find HUGE cages for them, that would be too small for the larger parrots.

My #2 choice would be one of the Pionus species. The have that "parrot" look with the stocky bodies and short tails, and come in pretty colors. With the exception of the Blue Headed Pionus, most are not quite as bright as some of the more typical parrots, but they are also much more easy-going, much less emotional, and much quieter than most parrots. They have been nicknamed "apartment parrots" and "Amazon lite" again, as with most quieter species, they can talk but it is not their strong suit.

Is it just the crest that gets you? Is that what made you choose the cockatoo? If so, perhaps consider a cockatiel.

Is it the size and talking ability? I dont own one, but I think some Macaws are similar in size, cost, and talking ability to cockatoos without the added drama. I believe they are described at eternal 2 year olds. There are MANY mac owners here who could give guidance on which species fit what stereo-types and what to consider before getting one.

Amazons are fun as well, but also a handful. Someday I hope to own a Panama Amazon, as they have a reputation for being more easy-going than some of the other species.

Some African Parrots are also good candidates although they tend to be less colorful.

As someone said, it would be wise to start a thread asking for advice on this, giving the specifics of your home, lifestyle, budget, and what you are looking for in a bird. Dont feel guilty about posting here though, I don't think the original poster cares for the answers they received anyway.

sonja

Jul 31, 2012
PLEASE reconsider buying an unweaned baby, ESPECIALLY as your first parrot. It is sadly something of a trend these days, and I can't tell you how many people come to parrot forums in crisis because they are having troubles with hand feeding, and these troubles are life-threatening. Do a search for threads about how many people have had their baby birds die because of hand feeding problems. Even with some lessons from the breeder, it is not something for amatures to do. I just searched, but could not find, the thread from a few months ago from the woman who did exactly what you want to do and then regretted it to the point of hysteria almost. She made a follow up thread begging people to not make the mistake she made of buying an unweaned bird. If anyone else can find that thread, post it!

Minimaker

Jul 29, 2014
Illinois
Parrots
No I think you all misunderstand what I meant when I posted that. I'm not taking the bird home during the weaning process, I'm going to the breeder's home to help feed it during the process until it's completely ready to leave that house. I'm not taking the unweaned baby home-only helping to do some feedings at her house. I don't want to handle that alone. My experience is hand feeding wild birds that fell out of their nest and raising the turkey vulture from a just hatched state. I have 32 trees in my yard and from time to time a baby falls out of a nest so high there is no chance of returning it to the nest. It's either leave it to die or feed it. I have only had one baby die on me because it was so tiny and just hatched and very weak when I found it. I've raised robins and bluejays and sparrows as well as the turkey vulture. Here's a short video of Kevin outside one of the outbuildings interacting with us so you can see the level of bonding that happened with him. There's a reason for that, we loved him-
video-2012-08-27-16-23-35_zps70fece07.mp4 Video by tara_yvonne_photos | Photobucket

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, MaximilianĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Thanks for clarifying! I think visiting your bird at the breeder and getting to know him or her is a great idea :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts