Wanting a mealy Amazon

Chrystal

Jan 2, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
Green cheek conure
Blue crown conure
Hi, I'm new & I will get right to the reason I'm here! I want a mealy amazon. I am terrified that I don't know what I'm getting in to. I have 2 very well behaved NON screaming conures. The only BIG bird experience I have is with a cockatoo & he is a nightmare. I birdie sit him. I just wonder if I'm terrified because of this experience or do I just need to thank my lucky stars & be happy with my well behaved flock & stop wanting more. Opinions please!!!!!!!

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Hi there Chrystal, and welcome to the forum. :)

Hey, nothing wrong with wanting to expand your current flock. ;) There is no way of telling how your currently well behaved/quiet conures will react to a newcomer, OR if the newcomer will (always) be well behaved.

May I ask why a Mealy?? They are GREAT, giant Amazons, but they can also be a "bit" noisy. :54: Those I have met were truly sweet birds, I have nothing bad to say about them at all.

Were you looking to adopt one, or were you thinking of getting a youngster?

OP
C

Chrystal

Jan 2, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
Green cheek conure
Blue crown conure
I hear that the mealy is the more docile of the amazons. I love a peaceful home. But I'm also a bird nut. I'm so torn. I have my eye on a baby. I also know birds can get very jealous. I am worried about this with my blue crown conure. My bcc & I have a special bond. I like many others on this forum LOVE birds & would love to have a bigger bird!!! It's like once you experience life with one bird you're hooked for life!!!

Lintini

May 5, 2012
Bay Area California
Parrots
Margret-Mealy Amazon 28 (family parrot), Petri- Peach Front Conure 4, Chloe- Congo African Grey 24 and Rio- Blue Crown Conure 4 !! :D
My mother brought home our mealy when I was maybe 6 years old and she is the same age as me I believe. So we're ripe old 27 year olds. lol. She's a pretty nice parrot, but she can be very loud like I mentioned on your wall in our chatter. Sundown is her time to shine! So yea.....we can hear her a couple courts down the hill .... :p ...poor neighbors. She's independant but she is scared of new toys ....I don't know what her life was like before we got her but I am guessing she wasn't getting new items in her cage from the reaction she still has. But I mean that has to depend on the bird and how it was raised so if you are getting a baby, it's all on you! If I wanted to ever get an amazon in the future, since she really is my mom's, I would get another mealy amazon. I really like her size and her temperament. She never bluffs or bites and we have to take her every 3 months to the vet for beak issues and she tolerates it well. She loves men, any man can come into the house and hold her. Women ....ehhh she needs to know you a bit more. And she is all "cluck cluck cluck cluck" for men.

Now the BCC ........my conures are VERY jealous of each other, but they are both males. I can't exactly have them out at the same time without a scuffle over my shoulder or hair. Then if one comes out and the other is inside still, i get to hear all the complaining, showing off, perch shimmying, etc. My BCC is not as jealous like my PCC is though. And my CAG is just a brat.

brittani299

Nov 19, 2013
Seattle
Parrots
1 Green cheek conure Rudy;
1 Blue Fronted Amazon Tiki:
1 Lilac Crowned Amazon Elvis
My gcc us very jealous of my bfa. I have to visit Rudy before tiki every morning or Rudy lets me know. I have to give special time to Rudy as well. As long as I do that everything in the world is ok :)

Abigal7

Jun 17, 2012
United States of America/ Kansas
Parrots
Captain Jack (Hahn's macaw)

Clover (green cheek conure)
You have bird experience but the question is are you afraid of being bite from a Amazon? If you are that may set up your relationship with one in a bad way. I never had a Amazon but from what the stereotypes I read the Amazon may not act like your conures (in my experience conures can be cuddly). This bird no doubt will be louder (only you know if you have a noise limit or since you have conures you have a tolerance to noise). I can not tell you yes or no because I think this requires soul searching from you and only you know what bird is right for you.

Abigal7

Jun 17, 2012
United States of America/ Kansas
Parrots
Captain Jack (Hahn's macaw)

Clover (green cheek conure)
My gcc us very jealous of my bfa. I have to visit Rudy before tiki every morning or Rudy lets me know. I have to give special time to Rudy as well. As long as I do that everything in the world is ok :)

Ha ha I know from experience some of those little birds think they are big (kind of the way some small dogs think they are so bad). That would be something the OP would have to watch for.

Most Reactions

Latest posts