Wanting to take the plunge!

DeCo

May 3, 2016
Houston, Texas
Hi,

I'm wanting to get a lovebird, but have never had a bird before or know anyone that has either. Before I decide to do this I want to make sure I know what I'm doing and don't regret the decision, birds are definitely a commitment!

A little about me:

I'm 21 years old, live in an apartment with my fiancé, am just wrapping up my junior year in college, and work full time. We do have a dog, a cockapoo. Most of the time at least one of us is home, normally the longest no one is home is 6 hours.

Some of the questions I have are how fitting is a lovebird with living in an apartment (she is more worried about noise than I am)? How many of you have birds and dogs together and how well does that work? I know for a fact my dog finds birds very interesting. She'll stop and just watch them, doesn't try and go after them, just mesmerised haha.

Also what do y'all do when y'all vacation?

I'm sure I'll have more question but that should get me started!

Thanks for any advice!!

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
Hi,I have lovebirds.I think one in a apartment would be fine.Try to get a hand raised one

Meggj

Apr 27, 2016
Ebbw vale, wales.
Parrots
Two beautiful lovebirds called kiki and ace.
Hey there,
I am a new owner to two lovebirds. As far as noise concerns, mine can be noisy, it tends to be morning time and early evening. They are silent in the night so it's no real bother to the neighbours. I have two cats who aren't bothered by the lovebirds but that is unusual, I probably wouldn't leave your lovebirds and dog in the same room unsupervised. Mine are in my bedroom and when I go out, I lock the door so the cats can't get in there.
Do you want to get one or two? I have two which I'm glad of cos I work long hours at times so they can keep each other company. I wouldn't recommend one unless you can devote a lot of time to it, however I have heard single lovebirds bond with you a lot better and are easier to tame. My pair are not tame at all at the moment but I have only had them for a very short time.

OP
D

DeCo

May 3, 2016
Houston, Texas
Hey there,
I am a new owner to two lovebirds. As far as noise concerns, mine can be noisy, it tends to be morning time and early evening. They are silent in the night so it's no real bother to the neighbours. I have two cats who aren't bothered by the lovebirds but that is unusual, I probably wouldn't leave your lovebirds and dog in the same room unsupervised. Mine are in my bedroom and when I go out, I lock the door so the cats can't get in there.
Do you want to get one or two? I have two which I'm glad of cos I work long hours at times so they can keep each other company. I wouldn't recommend one unless you can devote a lot of time to it, however I have heard single lovebirds bond with you a lot better and are easier to tame. My pair are not tame at all at the moment but I have only had them for a very short time.

Thanks for the input!

I was thinking one, I like the idea of the bond, we're home a good bit between the two of us. I've also heard they get more noisy with two? Our dog is crate trained, so when we are gone shes in her crate, and without a doubt wouldn't let the bird and her go unsupervised.

They enjoy being in a central room right? Like being where there is the most "action".

Meggj

Apr 27, 2016
Ebbw vale, wales.
Parrots
Two beautiful lovebirds called kiki and ace.
It's OK. I'm sure someone who is more experienced will be able to add on to that. My lovebirds already love having me around and love attention. But they can tend to sing to the TV at time. To be honest though, most of the time they are pretty quiet. I know some people get their birds wings clipped to make it easier to tame and safer for the birds, and I haven't done this, so when I let them out of their cage it can take a while for them to go back in it. They do so of their own accord and I can't really hurry them up, so this can take like an hour. Also, I give my birds their veggies in the morning first because they aren't so keen on veggies yet. I'm not sure what else to add, like I said, I'm new to keeping them myself, they are fantastic though to keep and will certainly entertain you with their antics, lovebirds love to play :D:D

OP
D

DeCo

May 3, 2016
Houston, Texas
I'm on the corner at the top of the complex, so I really only have one neighbor, that being said I still don't want to be "that guy" with the apartment you can hear going down the hallway haha.

I would want to get a hand fed one, and would want the wings clipped. One thing I'm curious about is how to look over the bird, like signs and things to look for health wise when buying one? Just make sure there's no visible signs of picking at itself and stuff like that?

a.bird

Mar 12, 2016
Parrots
Osky-peach faced lovebird
My bird is really only loud when I'm loud or the tv/radio is on super loud. I think it would work in an apartment. They love being in a central room, just make sure they get enough sleep if someone in your house is a night owl. I also recommend a hand fed baby. Good Luck!!!

OP
D

DeCo

May 3, 2016
Houston, Texas
Where are you buying this bird? Pet shop or breeder?

If I could find a breeder that would be preferred. I feel like that's a much better start.

Neither of us are really night owls, so it would definitely get some sleep.

Most Reactions