Watch me hatch and grow! [Cockatiels]

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
that's really sad to hear

whilst no babies come out of this it serves as a good lesson for others to see, that breeding isn't always a fun time and can end with heartache like here

give Boo some extra cuddles

YUMgrinder

Mar 20, 2017
Cheyenne, WY
Parrots
-Jazz, Normal Grey Cockatiel /

-Chessie, Pearl Cockatiel /

-Perry, Black capped Conure /

-JoJo, Pineapple GCC /

3 little busy Budgies
Wow I'm so sorry. This is heartbreaking. I can't believe such a happy and cute bird family was torn apart so early. Poor boo. take care of yourself.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
After incubating the eggs for 5 days there were still no signs of life so I decided to crack one open. It was just a yolk, no signs of any chick development. I decided to crack the rest and they were all the same - just a clear egg, nothing but a yolk inside. This means the eggs were never fertilized or just never developed, and the process of laying them likely worsened Peach's condition. While I am sad about the eggs I am also relieved, I promised Peach I would try my hardest to save her babies but in reality there were no babies to save. I can mourn her now fully and know that the eggs would never have hatched even if I were to have began incubating them earlier.

Now about Peach. As you know, she had been pooping blood the night before I found her gone and it was the only symptom she ever exhibited. In the initial necropsy the vet saw that Peach's crop had food in it, her lungs and heart looked normal but her digestive tract was empty and her kidneys and liver were very pale in color. They get specific results back today from ISU so I will update with another post then and I will be glad to know for sure what it was. Overall the cost of it was $45 for initial necropsy and to send her organ samples for testing was $170.

Boo is now my only bird and he is still eating, drinking and pooping normally so I know it was not likely a contagion but something she was possibly born with, disease of some sort. I will update when I have a solid answer on that and will make a new thread for her in remembrance but I wanted to thank everyone for their kind thoughts and prayers during this time. I am still recovering from the loss of Peach but Boo seems to be okay. I have to remember that birds are much more simple minded than humans are, I don't think he wakes with dread in the morning knowing she isn't there or feels sad. Just lonely. I moved him to another cage with no more nest box as he would not let me take it out of his old cage (despite no eggs or mate inside) so I had to towel him and move him that way. But within minutes of it being out of sight he was just fine, no longer aggressive to me and just wanted to come out and sit on my shoulder. Out of sight, out of mind maybe.

To those who read this thread hoping to see some cute cockatiel babies, I am sorry this thread does not have a happy ending, but I hope it serves as a reminder that breeding birds can and will end in tragedy sometimes. But I still have hope. Once I know of Peach's cause of death I can move on and move forward. Boo will also move on, he likely has already. So in the summer/fall I will likely get Boo a companion, but for now we are a one-bird family and that Is okay.

What a beautiful tribute to Peach. You prepared as best possible, and obtained a necropsy as a means of discovery and protection for Boo.

While we know birds have a capacity for emotion, they likely are far more pragmatic than humans. At some point, Boo will help you create a happier version of this thread.

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
Thanks for the update. Glad Boo is okay.

Thinking of you ....:smile016:

FlyBirdiesFly

Jul 30, 2017
Media
My thoughts go out to you. Iā€™m so sorry that Peach died and the eggs didnā€™t hatch. At least you couldnā€™t have done anything more, as there were no babies to begin with.

OP
itzjbean

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
There is such a huge support system here, thank you everyone these posts mean a lot.

V90JQvv.jpg

Boo sitting on my shoulder for some comfort. He is doing better now, is calming down and not as loud as he was the first couple days. He is glad to see his mirror again and dances in front of it.

Inger

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
Iā€™m so sorry that all of this happened. There isnā€™t really much else I can say - just that Iā€™m sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

reeb

Oct 23, 2017
Media
Albums
Cape Town, South Africa
Parrots
Berry (ā™€ Cockatiel) hatched June 2017
Opal (ā™‚ Budgie) hatched 13 August 2017
Pearl (ā™€ Budgie) hatched 15 August 2017
+ an aviary of 16 other budgies! all hatched 2014-2017
I just saw this and I am so, so sorry for your loss. You were so fastidious about keeping her happy and healthy, and I do not think you should blame yourself for what happened. You are a wonderful parront, and in this time of mourning take solace in the fact that Peach lived a beautiful life, and that Boo is still alive and well. Birds have a wonderful way of understanding your emotions, and I am sure that he can help you through this, and you can do the same for him ā¤ļø

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Latest posts