Watching EggBert The Baby Cockatiel Grow Up!!!

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
I decided to make a thread just for EggBert, my partner says to keep him cause he's special. He is a under grown baby, had a rough start since his mother is a messy feeder and little EggBert didn't get the nutrients and the proper feeding from his mother so I moved him to a pair of foster parents. From the rough start, he just isn't growing properly like he should. He's a third of the size he should be right now. I removed him for handfeeding and haven't had much rest at all. I found him almost dead one day and I rush in for the rescue, holding him in one hand to keep him warm and making formula in the other hand. I've been babying him for over a week and he's grown so much since I took him out. He was hatched on June 17, 2013

This a picture of the day EggBert Hatched!!!

20130617_220835_zpsec040064.jpg

This is a picture of EggBert on 7/8/2013, he was 21 days old. Way behind growth but improving as I hand feed....

20130708_113225_zps043be2d3.jpg

Here's a picture of EggBert I just took 7/12/2013 He is 25 days old today as he's the size of a week old chick.

20130712_013718_zpsd54d22aa.jpg

lotosha

Jun 29, 2012
Parrots
A pair of cockatiels
And pair of African Greys
Thanks for sharing the pictures, he looks nice:)

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
AAAWWWW there's your little miracle EggBert, aka LilA$$kicker, how I lovingly refer to him. :D He's come a long way, Mikey and ONLY because of your dedication.

I can't wait to see what he'll look like in a month or so. :)

How is he eating now???

I JUST noticed he hatched on June 17th???? That's a GREAT day...that's my hubby's birthday. ;)

Last edited:

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
Oh Mikey I sure can relate to this. I too have had to rescue babies, hold them with one hand and make formula with the other, the whole time your thinking "hold on, hold on!"

he sure is adorable, and couldn't be in better capable hands.
you fall in love with them instantly, and will do anything to keep them alive.

just curious how much does he weigh?, I had two sibling just from a previous clutch that had stunted growth, and at 4 weeks just weighed 16 grams!!!,both passed away but the older one in the same clutch I raised from 2 days old, and is a beautiful pearl, she is small just weighing around 75 grams @ 3months of age, but appears to be healthy & fine

how rewarding is saving a life, and raising one of the beautiful birds!!
I will keep following this thread for sure!!
love the pictures.

OP
MikeyTN

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
Horrible news....EggBert died from a stupid wood shavings he ate while I was at work this morning. They were big pieces and I have no idea how he even ate them down. This have never happened to me the past 16 years raising chicks. He just started to grow out his pin feathers, it's very very upsetting to me and my head hurts...I won't be on the rest of the night....

FeatherBrain

May 20, 2013
Chicago
I'm so sorry to hear about the bad news. Unfortunately stupid things happen and creatures get hurt. I know from lurking these forums what an amazing caretaker you are to your birds, and am certain that the chick had the best chance of surviving in your care. It was a freak accident. :(

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
Horrible news....EggBert died from a stupid wood shavings he ate while I was at work this morning. They were big pieces and I have no idea how he even ate them down. This have never happened to me the past 16 years raising chicks. He just started to grow out his pin feathers, it's very very upsetting to me and my head hurts...I won't be on the rest of the night....

oh no!!, how terribly upsetting.....that just bites!!

I know how much time and effort it takes to keep them alive and breathing.

my heart goes out to you Mikey,,,HUGS

OP
MikeyTN

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
After crying myself to sleep for several hours I felt a little better, but reading the post and seeing the pictures makes me cry again....my tears are dripping while typing this.....Thanks you guys!!!! We buried him in the garden with a little dragon watching over him and some shells on top of his grave and some fresh plucked flowers from the garden. Because of this freak accident, I am rethinking about placing the paper towels on top of the bedding so this won't happen again....Thanks again guys!!!

brianlinkles

Aug 17, 2011
Oakwood, Ohio
Parrots
i am the mom of three parrots:
Dorothy- African grey (cag)
Bowie- blue and gold macaw
Nellie- hyacinth macaw
Reggie- hyacinth macaw
Marnie- white bellied caique
I am so sorry to hear this. I too am raising a chick that is half the size at almost 8 weeks as his clutch mate. I loved seeing his pictures as I know what great care you take care of your birds! This is such a strange freak accident. Please know you are in our thoughts. Let us know what you decide to do in the future about the shavings.

OP
MikeyTN

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
Thank you! I am still using the shavings but I'm gonna put several layers of paper towels over it. I was shocked when I found what killed him....It wasn't just one piece he ate, he ate 5-6 pieces and one piece was huge....I'm too emotionally drained tonight....Thanks again!!!

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
How are you holding up today, Mikey?

I know how sad you are feeling, EggBert had beaten SO many odds already, and you were caring for him with such love and tenderness. :(

We're all here for you. More hugs!!!

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
....now you have my eyes going.... I feel so badly for you.

I wasn't going to say anything when you broke the sad news, but I heard paper towel is the safest thing to use for young chicks.
In the past I have used shavings & bedding and found they like to chew both,,,uggggg
I go thru rolls and rolls of paper towel. you'll find they will be less interested in chewing it.
....hang in there Mikey, it will get better, HUGS

OP
MikeyTN

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
I am feeling better today but still emotional....

Crimson,

I've used paper towels in the past but liked shavings better so I'm combining both. Little EggBert helped me make that decision.

OP
MikeyTN

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
Thank you Kendra!

Most Reactions

Latest posts