waterbottle training...

OP
DallyTsuka

DallyTsuka

Mar 19, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Dallas and Tsukasa (Cockatiels)
Mango and Munchlax (Peach Faced Lovebirds)
Well silversage, here's what I did. I put another favourite bell in front of the nozzle. I saw her playing with it right now, she got some water on her head and shook it off lol so it's a decent start :)

Attachments

• IMG_00000485.jpg
    IMG_00000485.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 227

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Yeay!! Keep us posted.

OP
DallyTsuka

DallyTsuka

Mar 19, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Dallas and Tsukasa (Cockatiels)
Mango and Munchlax (Peach Faced Lovebirds)
i handfeed her with the bottle in the evening, but still not much progress on her own... this is going to be slow going :/

djdancer

Jan 7, 2013
I know this post is old but for someone who is just reading it now I've never had a problem with introducing a water bottle. I had a 20 year old conure a two year old conure and a one year old conure. I just made believe I was drinking out of it. They all caught right on. I would make believe I was drinking then hold my head up like the bird does when they drink from the water bowl.

Rockford

Mar 2, 2014
USA
I've been using water bottles for every bird that has been through my home for almost 25 years and that at least 20 different species. I have never had any issues at all with getting a bird to use a water bottle and put virtually no effort into training. I just fill the bottle and hang it on the cage. The birds still get their water bowl for a few days until I see the bird using the bottle. If I don't see it being used but see that the water level in the bottle has dropped and I'm sure it's not just leaking, I'll remove the water bowl. I'd say 3-5 days is all it takes. Of course I keep a close eye on things for a short time afterward, but I have never had any problems after the water bowl has been removed.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
I do the same sort of thing put stick something in the ball, a sliver of wood, piece of string, etc and let it drip. Birds who've never seen it before pick up quick, when they see the water dripping. maybe takes a day or two.

Most Reactions

Latest posts