We adopted an amazon!

OP
ravvlet

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
YAY YAY YAY! The vet called! While she does have signs of liver disease (at 140+ g overweight I felt it was a given) the vet is confident that our diet changes will solve it, and she doesnā€™t have any bacterial infections or anything else.

We are going in for her X-ray Saturday and I plan on asking what she thinks is the best thing to do for her fatty mass (pic included at the end of this post) & to schedule another CBC in 3 months to check on her liver again.

Iā€™m trying to not get excited until we see her heart but Iā€™m feeling really good about her prognosis so far. We hope sheā€™ll be with us for many years to come!

At what point should we start exercising her? She still only steps up willingly sometimes and Iā€™m not sure if I should be more confident/assertive and ā€œforceā€ her - the vet did this and she behaved really well for her (when I say force I mean she said the command and then pressed into her chest to encourage a step up, not like, grabbing her or anything). I think maybe Iā€™m being too polite (I just present my hand at the right height and ask and wait to see if she lifts a leg).

The lipoma, sorry itā€™s a little gross:
LD6TKmY.jpg

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Much to do prior to building muscle mass required for flight.
Building comfort and trust regarding moving about on your hand as you introduce your home to your Amazon. Remember that flight requires a knowledge of where it is safe to fly to and from, plus the safe pathways.
Note: The Segment in the 'I Love Amazons - ... Thread that speaks to reflighting an Amazon (or any Parrot for that matter) covers the process involved.
It is very important to remember that this is a process and each step is the foundation for the next step. Remember that in addition to the Wing muscles, you will be developing the heart and air sack (lung) muscles. It all takes time.

OP
ravvlet

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
Thank you! Iā€™ll keep moving slowly with her then. I just didnā€™t want to be neglectful with exercise because I know itā€™s very important. I have definitely been reading and re reading the sections on sedentary ā€˜zons and refeathering and re flighting.

OP
ravvlet

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
0Mbvx1s.jpg

X-ray day was today! And the result was... a lot of maybes!

She MIGHT have scarring in her air sacs, as well as an air sac line. Her heart is a little valentine shaped which is not ideal and MIGHT be enlarged. Her arterial walls appear to have thickened a little.

Which means that we are having a consult done by a radiologist and will be hearing more concrete results Monday! We were also sent home with a cardiac supplement to give her by mouth for 60 days, so Iā€™m sure sheā€™s going to reeeeally love me for the next two months (not!).

She is cleared for exercise however!

For those keeping score at home, the estimate for x rays was $160, but because we have to call in a radiologist and also got the meds it was a cool $310.

Squeekmouse

May 31, 2017
Illinois
Parrots
Yoda, Green Cheek Conure - Trigger, Congo African Grey
She's so pretty!! She's truly blessed to have such a nice home and wonderful Parronts.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
She is gorgeous!!!!
It took my rescue Quaker a year to be able to fly, so be patient :)

OP
ravvlet

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
She is gorgeous!!!!
It took my rescue Quaker a year to be able to fly, so be patient :)

Being patient is so hard! I mean, even if her wings werenā€™t clipped so short that I didnā€™t notice it immediately she is so overweight she canā€™t generate lift. She did get some nice cardio today between flapping and being chased around the kitchen as I very quickly had to relearn proper toweling to give her her new meds...

Inger

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
Ok this is a beautiful story, Iā€™m so happy she found you, and sheā€™s so cute I want to eat her up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
ravvlet

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
Tonight the toddler insisted on singing her ā€œTwinkle Twinkle Little Starā€ before going to bed, and our efforts were rewarded by beak grinding. :)

Sheā€™s doing well with toweling for meds and will step up onto a dowel but wonā€™t step up on my hand yet without posturing for a bite. Her feet are very dry and scaly also so per our vets recommendation we have begun putting a little moisturizer on in the morning (vet said to do Eucerin but I wasnā€™t sure which formula so Iā€™ve been using coconut oil).

Just waiting to see what the radiologist thinks now.

Most Reactions

Latest posts