Week 2 with my Galah Cockatoo

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
I think you did well, if he won't get distracted by anything, then leaving him at his cage or stand is fine. You don't want to encourage over bonding, that's another story!

OP
S

sarai7

May 1, 2016
Michigan
Parrots
Ace - RB2
Thank you LeakP.
He calmed down long enough last night that we had him doing "step up" about 7 or 8 times from the arm on my couch and wasn't all hormonal about it. He clearly knows the command. He just doesn't like to do it. Once back to his cage though, no more step up.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Sara, treats, treats and more treats. Every time he steps up well, treat. A good trick to start him on is to make him do circles. Have him follow the treat in your fingers, lead him around in a circle. After awhile he will just follow your finger around in the circle, and eventually you will just have to give the verbal and hand signal for the trick. But always reward when done with the trick with a treat. I use pieces of pine nut , crumbled up as my reward treat, but you may find he loves something more. Learning tricks with your bird is a great trust building exercise

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
So yesterday was officially 2 full weeks with Ace and he is coming more out of his shell. Today he was all about getting on my hand, except it seemed he was very "excited" so I am reading up on here about birds showing their hormones. He is just trying to mount my hand. And in the time leading to that he is just very lovey, wanting to be close and kissing my hair and bowing and bobbing... and making cute little noises. Mixed feelings about it because I'm glad he is allowing me to pick him up but don't want him mounting me. Not sure how to discourage that. As soon as he got too carried away i did make him go back to his cage.

THoughts, advice?

You nailed it! :) Anything unwanted and this is the best course of action.
May be a bit of excitement mixed in there so keep it calm and hopefully this may reduce.
RB2's are very decisive in making up their minds on who is good and who is not to them. Please bare hormones in mind but go behavioural first IMO. From my experience with RB2's and talking to friends hormones show themselves as being more bitey and or plucking.

And as Wrench says if he is interested in tricks and treats it's a great way to engage with them and build trust.

Be sure about shoulder privileges as trying to break them when they have got used to having them is one PIA.

Last edited:

BIRDIGIRL

Jan 25, 2016
Mayo Ireland
Parrots
Rodney Blue Fronted Amazon
RIP Mr Biggles White Fronted Amazon , Elsa and Little Nellow the Lutino Budgies, Lady Primrose a Pied Budgie and English Budgies Houdini Popeye and Olive
Im not a too mom but you seem to be doing very well with Ace. I have an Amazon and it took me way longer to get him to step up than 2 weeks infact it took me more than 2 months, so well done and well done too on reading the signs about when to discourage a behaviour and how to do it...I think you are doing really well and also wrench 13 gave you some good tips...with my guy our whole bond is growing out of playing with him and doing tricks...sometimes the tricks are done his way and sometimes they are done my way, the actual trick is not as important as the bond you are building while doing the trick training session. You are doing really well to have achieved so much in so little time...i would not have expected such a wonderful response from your Ace in just the few short weeks that you have him...your progress is Amazing :)

OP
S

sarai7

May 1, 2016
Michigan
Parrots
Ace - RB2
Sara, treats, treats and more treats. Every time he steps up well, treat. A good trick to start him on is to make him do circles. Have him follow the treat in your fingers, lead him around in a circle. After awhile he will just follow your finger around in the circle, and eventually you will just have to give the verbal and hand signal for the trick. But always reward when done with the trick with a treat. I use pieces of pine nut , crumbled up as my reward treat, but you may find he loves something more. Learning tricks with your bird is a great trust building exercise

Good Tip! I'll try when/if I can get him off his perch without wanting to fly for safety.

OP
S

sarai7

May 1, 2016
Michigan
Parrots
Ace - RB2
Im not a too mom but you seem to be doing very well with Ace. I have an Amazon and it took me way longer to get him to step up than 2 weeks infact it took me more than 2 months, so well done and well done too on reading the signs about when to discourage a behaviour and how to do it...I think you are doing really well and also wrench 13 gave you some good tips...with my guy our whole bond is growing out of playing with him and doing tricks...sometimes the tricks are done his way and sometimes they are done my way, the actual trick is not as important as the bond you are building while doing the trick training session. You are doing really well to have achieved so much in so little time...i would not have expected such a wonderful response from your Ace in just the few short weeks that you have him...your progress is Amazing :)

Thank you! So yeah he is getting all moody and waddling his butt and dancing for me and then he'll step up, but as soon as the little hormone rush is over he is done stepping up and back to running/flying if I try. I'll keep on with the efforts. I got him away from his cage at least.

smbrds

May 17, 2016
Media
Central Florida
Parrots
Normal (or not so!) Grey Cockatiel
He's a pink cutie. I'm glad that he's becoming more comfortable. I remember a friend of mine had an RB2. It wouldn't stay still with me and wanted to waddle around to get into mischief. She was sweet though. I love RB2s and enjoyed reading about yours.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Ace is beautiful, and you are making excellent progress. You seem to have an intuitive balance between bonding and overbonding, which is the root of many cockatoo behavioral issues. Continue working with Ace methodically, and expect the proverbial 2 or 3 steps forward, and the occasional 1 step backward. Kudos for properly identifying hormonal activities - they are fleeting but can be the source of negative training.

Most of my cockatoos have earned shoulder privileges, something born of repeatedly demonstrated trust. Please be sure, for once granted it is very difficult to dissuade!!

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
RB2's are prone to adrenaline rushes when they are doing something they like, playing, getting excited and get really pumped. The key is to realise how much or how far to go before this happens. The bite can be the release otherwise. That energy has to go somewhere.

I have developed a behaviour to get Plum to come down without being bitten and he responds to vocal ques now.

Most Reactions