Weird non-aggressive nipping behavior?

GlitchTown

Mar 3, 2017
Parrots
Skye, Cloud, Beep, Lilac - American budgies
So ever since I've gotten Sammy he every so often does this odd quick and seemingly aggressive "nipping" towards my finger. He also sometimes does it to new foods and curtains for some reason LOL. I know it's not aggressive though because he never puts any real pressure, he just touches what he's "nipping" at.

I'm really just curious as to what this is LOL. It's just so weird.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
It is really not that odd of behavior when you think of the fact that unlike Humans with very sensitive finger tips, Parrots explore the World with their Beak! I'm going to guess that will explain the vast majority of what your are seeing and experiencing.

Enjoy!

OP
GlitchTown

GlitchTown

Mar 3, 2017
Parrots
I've though that as well, but he seems to keep doing it to my finger, which he sees all the time

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Sydney - Blue Front Amazon
Gonzo - Congo African Grey
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Snowy, Ivy, Kiwi, Ghost - Parakeets
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
He's likely just "testing" with his beak to see what it is or explore. It might be a bit of fear or confusion of new things.

The SunDay conure I used to have used to tap her beak on everything to test things! She also loved to tap the bars of her cage when she wanted attention, but she loved tapping new surfaces and items.

OP
GlitchTown

GlitchTown

Mar 3, 2017
Parrots
Was he trying to get your attention by doing this 'nipping'?
I wouldn't think so as he does it when I offer my finger sometimes. But he does seem to do it more to my finger on my shoulder

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
welcome to the world of conures! I'm fairly certain they're the result of a scientist splicing a needle, a foghorn and some feathers together!

I'm sure if you observe him you'll find out the why. Saying that it could be related to his molt, very uncomfortable and annoying so he'll be a little short and a bit more up for "showing his concern" Just make sure his bite training is upheld and all will be well

Last edited:

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Yeah clark will sometimes preen my face with his beak or my finger. Sometimes he puts his beak against my head and just pushes, he's actually pretty strong. I rough-house with him so I don't even think about nips, or just holding me.... just real bites, and he has figured out the difference, so if his mouth is on me he's playing, exploring, or trying for attention.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
This picture should pretty much sum it up..... And no I'm not being hurt at all it feels good! Also note the pulled out orange threads on the shoulders of the shirt... He LOVES this shirt and it keeps him entertained.

Attachments

• GEDC0081c.jpg
    GEDC0081c.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 131

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
This picture should pretty much sum it up..... And no I'm not being hurt at all it feels good! Also note the pulled out orange threads on the shoulders of the shirt... He LOVES this shirt and it keeps him entertained.

wearing glasses I ended up with that position a lot. I found them sticking the claw in your ear to be more painful than any bite!

Also any moles or spots will be nipped at as those clearly need removing

OP
GlitchTown

GlitchTown

Mar 3, 2017
Parrots
Sammy does that as well LOL. It's never hard, but I'm a really sensitive person so whenever he does it I get bad tingles and shivers... it sucks because I don't mind him doing it

Most Reactions

Latest posts