Weird or unusual behaviour , play ?

Robyn

Sep 9, 2009
Media
Hi, My eclectus baby Jack is about 10 months old now and has a vocabulary of about 20 words, we think more that he doesnt let us know.
But anyway, there is an unusual behaviour he does sometimes, not a lot but does it now and then.
Especially if Im at my laptop he flies to my shoulder and climbs on top of my head whilst saying " Up, up ". Sometimes he changes his voice whilst saying up, up. I dont allow him on top of my head, think its a bit ridiculous but I dont understand what he is doing ?
He does definitely understand what the word up means. We have not had any problems at all with any form of dominance if anybody thinks its this, I dont believe its this. It seems some sort of play. Whilst writing this he is running around my laptop changing his voice a lot. he has managed to pick something off my laptop so if he ever gets near it I have to yell No in a very stern voice but at times he just repeats it back to me in the same stern voice , like a naughty 2 yr child. I am trying to teach him what the word No means at the moment as he tends to run off with things he knows he isnt allowed to have lol and he says to me " NO, No ." He is currently alos throwing everything off the bench, this isnt a problem , love playing that with him and have taught him to kiss me when I ask for it.
He loves to zoom thru the house at times and does his little screetches of excitement, you can tell he is happy when he does this.
Just trying to work out why he wants to get on my head and says Up, Up ? Has anybody else encounter unusual behaviour the same or similar to this ?
Thanks ,
Robyn

Parkep

Apr 12, 2010
Maybe he knows it gets your attention? And when he does it do you pick him up aka tell him to step up?

OP
Robyn

Robyn

Sep 9, 2009
Media
I do take him straight off my head as soon as he steps on my head. Im now wondering if he does this to get us to walk him around ? He loves to stay on our shoulders, more than he should actually . Thinking about it now , Im wondering if this is him telling us to get up so he can be "walked " ?? He seems to step on our heads if we are sitting or laying down. Well he only steps on the heads of me and my husband, not a lot but a few times.
I dont give him enough time to step up onto my hand from my head, I just whisk him straight off saying NO.
We do use the command " Up " and he knows it well and steps up. Just weird sort of behaviour that he wants to get on our head, he also does it whilst Im at the pc. So maybe he just wants us to "walk " him ???
Just guessing.

OP
Robyn

Robyn

Sep 9, 2009
Media
I agree with auggie , maybe he is worried I might become a couch potato and wants me to move around ? hahaha
I honestly havent a clue, but Im just guessing that he wants us to move him around and he just wants to be a passenger on our shoulders. I have never had him do it whilst we are moving around.
It is weird that he does it, they are such gorgeous little creatures. I just wanna hug him all the time, poor thing is gonna pop one day , scared I might squeeze a little too hard lolol.
If I wore a hat he would definitely go there and want to pick at it because its something different he hasnt inspected. He is becoming very social lately especially to strangers with earrings. He loves anything shiny and we now have to be aware of any glasses left on our bench. He loves to go there and throw everything off it till its all gone, funny to watch , cant help myself.
Robyn

Last edited:

Mel

Mar 30, 2010
Media
Sydney Australia
Parrots
Eclectus - Shadow /
Sulfur Crested - Chicka
he tends to run off with things he knows he isnt allowed to have lol and he says to me " NO, No ."

HI Robyn, I'm a new ekky mum and have loved reading your stories about Jack so thank you:). I don't have a clue about the head sitting thing but on the "stealing" stuff my old Galah used to do this. The vet said they love to play this game and to have a container with things in it that is OK for him to have but pretend that they are a no no. Cooper used to to take the "off limit" items out and throw them on the floor, when I'd catch him and say no he'd run onto his play gym and squawk at me (he didn't talk) as if to say "what? I was sitting here all the time"

OP
Robyn

Robyn

Sep 9, 2009
Media
Hello Mel,
Now that is so funny to hear. Couldnt stop laughing at your message. They are such naughty things arent they.
I wasnt sure how many other birdies out there steal things as well. Just sooo funny to watch him trying to run with it in his mouth hahahah.
Then these looks I get as he inches closer to the things he wants to nick hahaha, you can just tell he is about to do something he isnt allowed to do. My husband has been away all this week and Jack has been such gorgeous company for me.
I love him to bits , will just have to try and work out what he wants when he does this head thing. Im sure he doesnt know he is a bird, he lets me turn him upside down, and seems to copy my different voices, this must be where he gets his "computer voice " from. I realised I talk to him in different tones when we play and I talk to him in high pitched very excited tones, he seems to love that. I got caught by my daughters friend talking in one of these voices to Jack whilst he was atatched to a screen door looking out, I had my head up to his ear and talking like a squeaky school girl. Poor girl who caught me just looked a bit stunned hahah I just couldnt stop laughing. Well , Jack is my baby and he makes me do stupid things hahhah

Mel

Mar 30, 2010
Media
Sydney Australia
Parrots
Eclectus - Shadow /
Sulfur Crested - Chicka
Then these looks I get as he inches closer to the things he wants to nick hahaha, you can just tell he is about to do something he isnt allowed to do.

Oh I can picture it now. They really do make the world a happier place don't they

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Somehow our birds know what is ok and what is not ok for them to have. Just like a human child they want the no no's and once in foot seem to run away as if they know it will be taken away by the flock boss. My Rosie is very good at that.

Most Reactions