Weird sleeping spot

cdnbirdlover

Aug 24, 2012
Canada
Parrots
Peach faced lovebird Basil
Basil has taken to spending the night hanging on the side of his cage (in a corner). He has several ropey perches in his big cage and has always slept on the fattest one at the top of the cage. I have no idea why he is doing this but I am very worried that he's not getting enough hours of good quality sleep. And this can't be good for his feet. I've tried to lure him over to his big perch with treats but he's harder to lure at night and he always makes a beeline back to this new spot even if he does come for a treat. I don't know what to do and am not sleeping well myself worrying about my birdie.

LoryLover

Jan 1, 2013
Southern California
Parrots
Chattering Lory, 18yrs old (Sweet Pea)
Maybe Basil heard something one night while sleeping that spooked him, causing him to choose another sleeping spot.

Sweet Pea always slept in her smaller, kitchen cage that we covered at night. Once we put her in there and put the cover on, she was silent. This was the case for about 4 years. Then one night I went down to the kitchen about 9pm and heard a happy "HI!". I thought, hmmmm, she should be asleep... so I peeked under the cover and there was her little face looking right at me. From that point on, she would not sleep in that cage anymore. So we had to switch her to sleeping in her larger, daytime cage. We just figure some sound one night scared her.

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Too often we are led to believe that our feathered friends need 10-12 hours of uninterrupted sleep or they will be grouchy.....N0t true.....some birds will patiently wait for their human slaves to stir before rousing.....others will even quietly play/amuse themselves until their human. The dusk-dawn sleep theory comes from the misinformation that our birds' wild cousins sleep in quiet complacency.....hardly, jungles are some of the nosiest places to try & sleep, day or night.....ask anyone who has enjoyed life in the fast lane & camped out under the stars & canopy of your nearest jungle retreat.....

Whether I speak to my birds in the middle of the night, or not, they always know when I'm up and unless I am making a racquet, any lost sleep will be recovered during the day's various naps.....

So, Cdnbirdlover, quit worrying about the new sleeping arrangements & get yourself a good night's sleep, your feathered friend will.....

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
When birds go to sleep, their feet automatically lock into place, keeping them from falling while asleep. Some birds are perfectly happy sleeping hanging upside down, clinging to the cage bars or with one foot attached to the cage top and one to the side - with the bird either upside down or flipped over, doing the splits.

If you are really concerned, you could try moving a perch to the new location and seeing if your bird will take to it. Otherwise, he'll be fine!

mistywaterwoman

Jan 25, 2013
New Orleans, LA
Parrots
2 Peach-faced lovebirds (1 SeaGreen)
My goofies are still sleeping on top of a toy in the corner. They have a Snuggle Hut and a Coconut House, and a bazillion perches, but noooo, they prefer the hanging toy. My friend Beck says it's probably because it's the highest perch in the cage, and they are still a bit unsure of themselves here in their "new" environment. :p

OP
C

cdnbirdlover

Aug 24, 2012
Canada
Parrots
Thanks everyone. I am going to rearrange a few things for Basil when I do the weekly cage scrub. I hope he will find his highest fat ropey perch for bedtime slumber once I do that.

mistywaterwoman

Jan 25, 2013
New Orleans, LA
Parrots
2 Peach-faced lovebirds (1 SeaGreen)
Just wanted to mention that we have had some progress in this department. My lovies are now sleeping on top of their Snuggle Hut, which is the designated "safe" position most of the day. That's where they head when I clean and refill food dishes.

OP
C

cdnbirdlover

Aug 24, 2012
Canada
Parrots
Basil had a couple nights in his former "safe high and comfy" spot then two nights ago he hung on the side of the cage all night. Last night I managed to shoo him onto the big perch with treats and then he growled at me and chased my hand out. That was the first sign of cage aggression he has shown me. Usually an open door and my arm in there means that he can escape. Anyway, he slept up top after that little incident so I was happy.

I've been mostly home today and he's been playing or sleeping in his cage or out on me (or on his new "play gym"...spoiled spoiled bird). The outside birdies are happy with the sun and warmer weather so they are chattering away out the window and he is giving them a piece of his mind.

Most Reactions

Latest posts