Welcoming New Flock Members

ClatteringConure

Mar 18, 2016
USA
Parrots
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure: Loki | Mauve Budgie: Sturm | Violet Green Budgie: Raine | White-Faced Cockatiel: Shade *Gone but not forgotten*
Today mom and I got two parakeets from our local pet store. :) I am absolutely in love with and so excited about these little guys!

However, I am a bit nervous about them. I know parakeets can be nervous little birds and we just brought them home. The green one is kinda hyperventilating and breathing hard. The other one is doing much better. The blue and white one is the one who made us decide to get the parakeets because she had such a little spunky outgoing attitude. Hopping around in the cage, interacting with the other parakeets and happily chirping with the others plus on the way home she was chirping. One instance she was chirping along with my voice. So I'm not as worried about her. It's the other one. The green one refused to come out of it's carrier to go into the cage while her friend came right out.

I already have them named. I named the little white and blue one Sturm (pronounced storm just wanted to spell it differently haha) and the green one Luna.

I took a quick photograph of them. No flash of course and moving slowly around them.

Parakeets_zpsisq1l8zt.png

I plan on adding toys to the cage and such once they become accustomed to their surroundings. I didn't want to overwhelm them and stress them out further.

I have a few questions.

The toys I'd give them is older but safe toys that I'd want to disinfect but I know birds have very delicate respiratory systems. Would vinegar diluted in water be okay to soak the toys in? Would vinegar be safe for birds?

And I would really love to train them and have them sitting on my shoulder but Loki... haha This morning she was sitting on me and mom placed her hand on my leg. Loki charged her and bit her. I pretty much have no doubt since Loki doesn't want to share me with mom and dad she definitely wouldn't want to share me with other birds. It's always been her and me for the last two years. I know I could just lock her up and hold them but I would feel heartbroken to upset her in any way.

Surely there is a way to keep Loki happy and have Luna and Sturm sitting on my shoulder too? I have never ever had more than one bird a 'shoulder bird' before. I've always been too nervous to have more than one bird because I didn't want them to fight.

I've owned 3 parakeets before. In fact, a pair of parakeets were my very first birds when I was 7 and then in my teens mom bought a parakeet off someone. I love parakeets and cockatiels and I haven't had a parakeet in a long time.

Oh, and I am assuming they are both female because I've read time and time again that if their nostrils are pink they are female. If their nostrils are purple and blue they are male. Of course, we were told they were still juvenile and I have no clue if the color of their nostrils could change as they age if they are in fact males.

Any suggestions or tips I would super appreciate and be eternally grateful for!

Edit: Luna has stopped breathing really hard and both parakeets have moved around! They are stretching and preening themselves which I know is a good sign! That makes me feel so much better! :)

Last edited:

daizychyld

Mar 19, 2016
Georgia,USA
Parrots
Franky the Blue Fronted Amazon
They are amazing. So cute!! As for the vinegar. That is what I use to clean my whole house with White distilled. It sucks because my house always smells like a pickle!!! A cup per gallon of water is what I use. I clean the cage, toys and even his perches with it as well.

Last edited:
OP
ClatteringConure

ClatteringConure

Mar 18, 2016
USA
Parrots
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure: Loki | Mauve Budgie: Sturm | Violet Green Budgie: Raine | White-Faced Cockatiel: Shade *Gone but not forgotten*
Thank you so very much for your suggestion daizychyld! :) I will certainly use vinegar then. I asked about it because I had read it somewhere before but wanted to be sure it was safe.

I have decided to change Luna's name to Raine. I am now not sure if they are male or female. Sturm and Raine are gender neutral names and I love the names. And my wacky way of spelling them. haha

Sturm and Raine are doing much better today! They are both talking, preening, stretching, moving around and eating and drinking! :) I can't wait to start interacting with them but going to wait until they adjust to their environment first.

I am so enjoying listening to them chatter. I forgot how much I love to hear parakeets chattering!

Most Reactions