Well, he's here!

Van.Diemen

Nov 28, 2013
Tasmania, Australia
Well, he's here! *another photo added

This evening our Sulpher moved in!

It was quite a stressful day for him as he was rehomed with us from the other end of the country (I don't think 'rehome' does justice to how much I had to spend on freight).

He is a big boy at the top end of the measurements. He is ten and he talks when he gets stressed. On the way home in the car we had quite the discussion.

He was a hand reared pet but has spent the past few years outside in an aviary. We will need to give a bit of TLC to get him comfortable with a more hands-on environment.

I've given him a few scratches and he spent a tiny bit of time on my arm when we arrived home from the airport (so I could inspect that everything was in order after his travels) but apart from that I'm going to let him settle for a couple of weeks and get used to us without too much handling.

29asgwl.jpg

No doubt I will run a few questions through you guys from time to time for fresh perspectives.

Cheers!

Last edited:
OP
Van.Diemen

Van.Diemen

Nov 28, 2013
Tasmania, Australia
He is big. Cuddly? Not after the day he's had!!!!! We'll get there though, no rush!

Most of the talking was me reassuring him things were calm and o.k. and him checking if I was still there when I neglected to do this, as he was in a carrier in the back of a station wagon!

BirdyMomma

Aug 4, 2013
Long Beach, NY
Parrots
Lilac Crowned Amazon (Bacci- Forever on my shoulder, forever in my heart.)
Yellow Collared Macaw (Loki the Monkey Bird)
Military Macaw (Wingnut)
Citron Crested Cockatoo
(Knuckles)
He is stunning. Good luck with him!

kq_fan

Jun 26, 2013
Media
Seattle, Washington
Parrots
Lilo - Female Green Cheek Conure ~ Pal - male cockatiel ~ Pheobe - female cockatiel
He is beautiful! Oops I guess I should say HANDSOME! :) and big to!

TreeBee

Jul 13, 2013
Media
Crestview Florida
Parrots
Goffin Cockatoo (Silas)
Congo African Grey (Banjo)
Yellow Naped Amazon (Aurora)
B & G Macaw ( Marley )
Scarlet Macaw ( Phoenix )
Big Boy!!!! He's is Gorgeous !!!!! Congrats!!

Maria_Metropolis

Nov 12, 2013
Parrots
White Face Cinnamon Pearl Pied Cockatiel - "Muffin"

Hatch Date: October 4th, 2013
RIP July 4, 2014
He's gorgeous and he does look huge!!

OP
Van.Diemen

Van.Diemen

Nov 28, 2013
Tasmania, Australia
He's just relaxing on top of his cage for the most part. I caved and gave him a scratch and when I walked away he came to the front of his cage and lent forwards towards me. I put my arm up with 'step up' and up he jumped and spent the next 10mins with me in my chair getting a rub. Then he went on my knee and took it easy for a while.

I'm breaking my own rules already, so he's back on top of his cage relaxing for the rest of the day.

Mike17

Aug 12, 2013
Media
Albums
Outback Western Australia
Parrots
Alex- Eclectus, Ariel- whiteface, Junior- pied, Custard-lutino, Ziggy- pearl cockatiels, Kermit- Princess parrot, Jade- Plumhead parrot, George- budgie, Coco- Rainbow lorikeet, Corey-Little Corella.
Beautiful sulphur crested, Van Diemen! Where did he come from that he needed to be air freighted? The mainland? You would have had some paperwork with DIPWE I'd imagine :)

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
He is gorgeous! So glad he had a safe trip.

OP
Van.Diemen

Van.Diemen

Nov 28, 2013
Tasmania, Australia
Beautiful sulphur crested, Van Diemen! Where did he come from that he needed to be air freighted? The mainland? You would have had some paperwork with DIPWE I'd imagine :)

Queensland. To be fair the dpi paperwork was an absolute dream as Sulpher crested's and not required to have a wildlife permit. It was as simple as filling out a form, emailing it to the office and the permit was emailed back to me within the hour. It's amazing how quickly things get done with these departments when they can be bothered!

I've just gotten home from work (my partner has been at home), but it's nearly 1am our time and it loos like he's taken great pleasure in throwing all of his seed outside of the cage mouthful by mouthful! It's not an issue, but it gave me a chuckle.

Birds are the most amazing creatures and it's truly a blessing to be able to keep them. I'm sure there will be many hurdles to cross, but so far so good!

1467282_616297768417075_215617247_n.jpg

strudel

Sep 30, 2013
Media
Was he from the parrot rescue place? I was just looking at their website today.

He's just so clean and WHITE. I wish my new dog would stay white like that.

OP
Van.Diemen

Van.Diemen

Nov 28, 2013
Tasmania, Australia
No he wasn't although I did look at that place as well. All of this was done privately and the old owners got in contact with me first!

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
He looks so HUGE. Is he a overweight or just 'big boned'?

Such a beautiful bird! Would love to see more pictures :21:

GaryBV

Nov 2, 2013
Southwestern Pennsylvania
Parrots
Pacific Parrotlets - green Beanieboy and blue Skya;
Fischer Lovebirds - Mariposa and Papillon
He's MAGNIFICIENT!!! and he looks so HEALTHY!!!! Van I'm so happy for you.

TessieB

Nov 3, 2013
Media
Upstate, South Carolina
Parrots
1 Blue Front Amazon, 1 Yellow Head Amazon, 4 Cockatiels, 2 Parakeets
Well, I do declare, he gave this southern belle palpitations. I've never owned one of these birds, but I've pet-sat a few and they were very entertaining. One fella named Gus demanded 'cuddles and kisses' on every visit.

Most Reactions