Well that freaked me out!

schtickl

Sep 18, 2010
Austin, Tx.
Parrots
Tui, a 3 year old rescued CAG.
Ok, totally odd thing just happened lol. As you all know, I recently rescued a CAG named Tui. Well BOY does she talk now! In 3 days she learned the woody woodpecker song. I, not unlike other parrot lovers, believe she understands me. I think she is a bit too intelligent :p Its scary!

Today, she was making a noise I absolutely despise. I always look at her and say "Tui, no. Do you want to go back in your cage?" If she is going to stop, she makes a gesture and sort of dances. if she stops, I praise her. IF she doesnt she goes back in her cage. Well, today I said in a stern tone "Tui..." and she stomped her feet 3 times and said "stop... stop... stop..."

This literally happened like 15-20 mins ago. She hasnt made the noise since.

It really shocks me how intelligent these guys are!

On a more serious note: Tui went to see the vet about her beak and shes perfectly fine! The vet said to a co-worker behind the vet room (I overheard them) how amazing of a job I did and my heart warmed! She is no longer plucking, no sores, shes hanging upside down and playing with her toys all of the time, nonstop talking, etc. She seems like an all-around happy bird! She still HATES to be touched but im working on it with her. Id love to have a CAG that would love to be cuddled but not sure if that will ever truly happen.

Anywho, just had to let that out :p Hope all of you are having a great week! I just finished finals today so I can finally spend even MORE time with my pets and family!

Ciao all my feather loving friends! <3

SharonC

May 26, 2010
That's great to hear! I think you're going to be surprised in regards to her enjoying a cuddle. It just takes a little time for her to build a trust in you. If someome had told me, when I first got Fred, that I'd be handling him confidently, cuddling, and having him enjoy sitting on my knee, I'd have been very doubtful. It's amazing how they change when they trust you!
I understand what you mean by being a little freaked out by the intelligence. There are times that I look at Fred and wonder if there's a "little person" underneath all those feathers! LOL!

Glad you're enjoying your little one!

Cowtown

Aug 4, 2010
Media
Great State of Texas
Parrots
Abby 2 year old Female Eclectus & Solomon 12 year old Male CAG & Dickens 4 year old CAG.
That is so cute... I do know they are smart.. how else could they talk.. and not just mimic what they hear... Abby has not started talking yet... she will sit and jabber and mumble to herself.. I swear she is carrying on a conversation.
They are so intelligent just ask Ant... Mishka is so darn smart..

OP
S

schtickl

Sep 18, 2010
Austin, Tx.
Parrots
Code:

Haha yeah, this morning I woke up and I heard a jingling of her bell from her cage. I went out and looked at her and she goes "Time to take a shower" -- I guess I'd better listen! :D

As far as the cuddling, I sure hope I can eventually cuddle with her!

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
:D

As far as the cuddling, I sure hope I can eventually cuddle with her!

Some birds do cuddle other not. African Grey's are know not to be cuddly birds. However, one AG I had Gigi, loved to be cuddled, climb under our T-shirts and fall asleep near our arm pits.

Mishka only likes to be stroked on his wings, when we are "talk training"
Head scratches very seldom.

OP
S

schtickl

Sep 18, 2010
Austin, Tx.
Parrots
It appears that shes been biting a LOT more since I bought her new cage. She sits higher than me most of the time since my sofa is right next to her and the top of the cage is taller than me. Im wondering if she is biting me more because now she thinks she has dominance and is taller than me and has bigger territory?

I know she LOVES her cage so I dont want to get rid of it. Any suggestions ? If I moved her into another room where she could see me but not necessarily correlate the height as well when I'm sitting on the sofa, would that help? Should I use a stool everytime I go near her?

or would it just be best to get her a new cage that is smaller?

SharonC

May 26, 2010
Many believe that the height dominance thing is a myth. It's likely that the "honeymoon" period is over. Some birds are insecure at first, and later feel secure enough to assert itself. I'd say that's where you are. Now you need to build a trusting relationship between you and the bird. Talk a lot, offer treats, speak soothingly...you get the idea.

When I was dealing with aggressiveness from Fred, my Yellow Naped Amazon, I did reprimand him verbally for biting. I do think the bird needs to understand what is acceptable and what is not...This is my opinion, and many will disagree. That's not to say that I'd scream, but I did let him know that I was displeased...

I think the trick is to let the bird know that he can trust you. Treat him with kindness and love, while setting some "rules" that are to be followed.

Hope this helps!:)

nofearengineer

Sep 8, 2010
Parrots
Gandalf - CAG (1997-2010) R.I.P. my baby boy.
Bitty - CAG (2 yrs old? and working on spoiling her rotten)
Schtickl, it sounds like you are doing great with your CAG.

I fall into the "height dominance is a myth" camp, I guess. A fearful bird is naturally going to seek out the most defensible position, i.e. high ground. It's not the high ground that causes the fear or aggression....just my humble opinion.

Don't sweat the cuddly thing. If she is meant to be a cuddler, your good care will bring it out. I am in a similar boat. I am becoming more and more aware of how poorly my CAG, Bitty must have been treated before I got her just two weeks ago. She didn't want anything to do with me. And today, I scratched her head and neck while she nibbled on my fingers for two solid hours. The bird who cursed me with her eyes for two weeks tried to regurgitate for me! Sometimes, it is just a "flip a switch" kind of thing, where they finally break down and want some physical affection.

It sounds like she has already made leaps and bounds. But she didn't get physically and emotionally scarred over night, and she won't be cured of it overnight either. Be patient. (I have trouble taking my own advice with Bitty...she's just so darned cute! :D)

OP
S

schtickl

Sep 18, 2010
Austin, Tx.
Parrots
Schtickl, it sounds like you are doing great with your CAG.

I fall into the "height dominance is a myth" camp, I guess. A fearful bird is naturally going to seek out the most defensible position, i.e. high ground. It's not the high ground that causes the fear or aggression....just my humble opinion.

Don't sweat the cuddly thing. If she is meant to be a cuddler, your good care will bring it out. I am in a similar boat. I am becoming more and more aware of how poorly my CAG, Bitty must have been treated before I got her just two weeks ago. She didn't want anything to do with me. And today, I scratched her head and neck while she nibbled on my fingers for two solid hours. The bird who cursed me with her eyes for two weeks tried to regurgitate for me! Sometimes, it is just a "flip a switch" kind of thing, where they finally break down and want some physical affection.

It sounds like she has already made leaps and bounds. But she didn't get physically and emotionally scarred over night, and she won't be cured of it overnight either. Be patient. (I have trouble taking my own advice with Bitty...she's just so darned cute! :D)

Haha thanks! :D I agree. Its nice that Bitty turned around really fast for you! Its taken me a few months to get where I am which just goes to show how badly she was treated as well! Not sure if you read my intro when I first got her, but she came to me with overgrown nails and beak, a deviated breast bone, giant sores on her pubic bones, and a rusty cage that had ants crawling in and out of it for weeks. I actually JUST got rid of all of the ants! IT was crazy! The owner left her outside with no shade in the cage in 100 degree weather.

Some people have NO idea what it takes to own a bird. I actually want to be a vet and plan on attending vet school very soon. I have always been an animal person and plan to continue! ;) Patience hasnt always been a virtue of mine but boy has Tui taught me to have some!

As for cuddling, Im not sure that shell ever be a cuddler or want me to scratch her. Too bad really. As I have so much cuddling to give! :) But I shall not stop trying!

Thanks so much for your kind words guys!

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
What a great update. My CAG Ruby is getting more and more cuddly. She's started sitting on my shoulder and leaning her little head against my cheek, then she goes to sleep. But if I ever need more birdie cuddling, I always have Jade.

Most Reactions

Latest posts