Wet sour smelling droppings.

thebirdnerd

Dec 28, 2010
Parrots
Whitefaced Pied Male Tiel- official greeter at the Rainbow Bridge, forever in our hearts,
Turquoise Mutation IRN,
Congo African Grey- please come home to us,
Blue mutation IRN
Besides parasites, does anyone here know what would cause large, wet, sour smelling droppings? My CAG has this...she was tested for parasites, which came back negative. I was thinking it might have to do with the food... I feed a mix of lafebers pellets and golden feast Caribbean blend, as well as veggies...she is also on Avitech featheriffic and Avicalm because she is a sometimes feather chewer...any info would be greatly appreciated.

happycat

Mar 9, 2012
Virginia, U.S.
Parrots
Kakariki (Kirby) Cockatiel (Shiro) Jenday Conure (Jojo)
How much does it smell? I feed my parrot Lafebers pellets and every once in a while he has a bigger, smellier poop. (In fact, he just had one now!) It doesn't smell much at all however. You have to be close, and it smells very lightly. If he only has one or two I wouldn't worry to much but any more I would take him to the vet. Sorry I can't help you much!

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Are you taking her back to the vet for more diagnostics? Or maybe even a different avian vet for another opinion if you have the choice. Good luck with this.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
My first thought is a bacterial infection. Has he had a full blood panel? My second thought is a side effect from one of the plucking medications he is on. Either way, (strong) smelly poop is not a good thing and a good AV would be working hard to get to the bottom of it.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Something is wrong, but I cannot diagnose such things over the internet. Crop/intestinal infection of some sort came immediately to mind... but this is something requiring competent avian vet care...

I would be just guessing. And if I guess wrong, guess what happens to your bird?!

Don't guess!!!

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
Avery, a GCC born on March 5th, 2013 & Shiko, a blue IRN born on February 25th, 2014
Things as simple as high protein can cause smelly poops. But things as scary as Clostridium can also be known to cause foul smelling droppings, and can be tested for easily with a fecal sample. If it gets serious enough, it can do some pretty scary damage. But I'm with Mark - don't try to guess, leave it to the professionals. When my GCC had poop that occasionally smelled, I took her to the vet. Thankfully, after waiting a week for results, she turned out to be fine, but I'm noticing the smell again and am personally taking her back just in case.

You can never be too cautious when it comes to birds... they often show symptoms far too late.

OP
T

thebirdnerd

Dec 28, 2010
Parrots
Whitefaced Pied Male Tiel- official greeter at the Rainbow Bridge, forever in our hearts,
Turquoise Mutation IRN,
Congo African Grey- please come home to us,
Blue mutation IRN
Thanks for the advice! I suspect it's dietary because it wasn't constantly happening and her behavior is completely normal( talkative and playful).. I stopped the meds and changed her diet and I already see an improvement.

Most Reactions

Latest posts