What a great day

Mariar

May 9, 2014
Clearwater Florida but grew up in Wisconsin
Parrots
Doolie,Yellow nape amazon(r.i.p.03/10/15)
Sissy,severe macaw(rescued on 03-16-15) chirpy,sparrow(beak less) jack,Jill,chase,fiona,finch, and tiger,sulfer crested(rescued 04/15/20
So someone i know was willed a hyacinth macaw named huckleberry..his age is unknown and for the longest time ive admired from afar. Well not this weekend!!!! He is heavy and soft and oh so cuddly...just had to share. It seems this bird is on every bird lovers list to own...and now i know why.

Attachments

• 20171105_103303.jpg
    20171105_103303.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 95
  • 20171105_103245-1.jpg
    20171105_103245-1.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 114
Apr 3, 2013
MD, USA
Beautiful. I've had the luck of meeting several hyacinths, and they live up to the hype. I would never spend 10,000+ dollars of my own money on a parrot, but if someone offered me the money or the bird, I'd have to consider it for a long time.

Sandy19

Mar 22, 2017
Kind of a coincidence, but I was in Tampa on Saturday and there was a man sitting outside with a Hyacinth at the restaurant we were having lunch at. I noticed it out of the window and I told my daughter to go look at it. She's 6 so of course she was amazed and kept going back to the window and wouldn't sit down.

I was amazed too, they're beautiful birds. I've never seen one other than in pictures.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Fantastic pictures! I have a friend who bird sits one, and man, he is gorgeous. Much too loud for me, but I could look at them all day! Looks like you had a great time:)

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
Hycanith's are awesome, have seen one in person and boy nothing prepares you for their size, they're too big for words!

Though to be honest I've never heard anyone fault them but that may just be the owners of these giants understanding that a parrot gotta parrot

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Awesome! Such magnificent creatures!

The breeder where The Beebs was born had one sitting on a T stand at his shop. It was the first time I was ever "up close" and personal with.
I think you have to see one,face to face,to even try to comprehend the true size of one of these creatures!
"Blue" was as handsome as his size was intimidating :eek: His beaky was nothing to take lightly.

$10k is A LOT of danario to shell out for one-not-so-little FID...even being "that" impressive.
I was just about to offer my hand/arm to Blue when the proprietor exclaimed " I wouldn't do that if I were you!!"

I'll never be owned by such a beautiful and stunning animal,but I can still dream about it, can't I??

Jim

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
very true. I'm still annoyed that my dad (who is not a parrot fan) met one before I did!

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
What an awesome experience! Since you know the owner, will you be seeing more of Huckleberry?

I've only met one HY. A guy at the flea market had his with him. I asked if I could offer him a piece of popcorn, but the bird had other plans and climbed right onto my arm when I reached over to give him popcorn:eek: I did not feel it was my place to argue with that beak, so I held him for a minute. They are truly amazing animals with truly ginormous beaks! I'm not sure I'd ever choose to have one even if money was no object. I have a philosophy about not owning/interacting with parrots you aren't also comfortable/accepting of the damage of being bitten by...

Last edited:

Jerseyjeff62

Sep 11, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
parakeet 20yrs(RIP PETEY),Gracie a TAG
$10,000 is less then the $16,000 the shops in NJ getting for them

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
I'm one of those people where, if I really am passionate about it and have done my research, money is not an issue. It would be a family pet for its entire life - 60 plus years, that doesn't seem all that much to me! My Chevy Sonic won't last me nearly that long and it was like 12k, lol. Some people spend lots of money on nice cars, nice watches, clothes, shoes, electronics, etc. Me.... I would gladly spend $10-20k on a companion that would last me my lifetime. Hell, my Doberman was $1800 and will be lucky to live 14 years.

Hy's are just so magnificent! <3

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
Two members of our bigger local parrot club in El Paso, Texas, had a hyacinth. In those silly days (@1990) we all brought our birds to the meetings. The Rb wouldn't let me play with them, but on a couple of times, I left the Rb at home just so I could be unfathful to him. MANNNNN, thse birds are awe-inspiring, yes, and... ya feel like an Incan Princecess (Prince) when caressing one.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I was lucky enough to have a friend who was a Hy breeder. I used to go over and help "socialize" the babies...

(I was a human bird toy.)

They are amazing birds. It isn't hype.

Then again, most big macs are amazing birds.

My Maggie was as mushy as any Hy...

For that matter BTM's and RFM's will pretty much go to anyone, and play with anyone who plays with them, if they are even remotely well socialized...

THEY'RE GOOFY, PLAYFUL, ATTENTION ORIENTED MUSHBALLS AT HEART...

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Hycanith's are awesome, have seen one in person and boy nothing prepares you for their size, they're too big for words!

Though to be honest I've never heard anyone fault them but that may just be the owners of these giants understanding that a parrot gotta parrot

The thing about Hys is that they are VERY confident birds. They KNOW they can rip your arm off if you get out of line, so they let their defenses down, and are more inclined to do the goofy macaw play thing...

I have handled exactly ONE who turned on people with intent to maim... and let me tell you, THAT BIRD was a force to be reckoned with... (His mate got sick. Humans took the mate away. She never came back. PEOPLE DID THAT TO ME!) This was a very sweet bird before his mate died. Afterwords?! He was downright dangerous...

But there is something to be said for the fact that if you're buying a $10,000 bird, 2-4,000 stainless steel cage, and 200-300 per month in food and toys... CHANCES ARE YOU REALLY WANT ONE, YOU KNOW HOW TO TRAIN IT, AND YOU ARE GOING TO TAKE CARE OF IT, AND NOT ABUSE IT!!!

And I doubt a Hy would sit there and take it if you were abusive. I've seen them tear cages apart. They'd PROBABLY be inclined to tear your arm off if you were hitting them... THEY'D JUST NOT LET YOU HANDLE THEM!!! If you've ever seen a Hy go "big bird" and mean it?! Yeah. Trust me. You back off...

Last edited:

Most Reactions