What are you guys doing this summer?

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Since summer in the northern hemisphere is approaching, I think it is an appropriate question to ask!

And southern hemisphere, what are you all planning on doing this winter?

I am going to bring Rico anywhere he is allowed! Im also going to get a driverā€™s permit, an ID, and will be allowed to ride my dadā€™s moped (which he never uses so I use it instead since he doesnā€™t really give a crap) around the neighborhood legally without a license once that sucker gets insured and all that stuff, I will also be able to volunteer at the animal shelter!

Im super excited! I plan on bringing Rico to petzoo (I have been advised against going to petco and I have listened and listened very well due to the birds that are always sick, dead, or dying there) to get him some food, toys, and treats. His training trips will be very short (gas station and back) then longer trips (local grocery store and back with Rico and i in the car ofc) then pet store trips.

He will have 4 months or so of sunshine, he will be doing outdoor recall on a leash, and I do want to take him to the park every now and then but Iā€™m not sure how well that will work. There are rarely any birds of prey there so it is super safe. The only real threat is idiots who canā€™t read the ā€œkeep yer dog on a leashā€ rule and the ā€œclean up after ya dogā€ rule. But even then they are very hard to come by since the park is pretty dead.

I plan to take my dog for more walks and I plan to not be an ARK gremlin.

What are you guys planning?

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Once the weather improves, Salty will be with me when ever I go out (unless the venue prohibits parrots, like supermarkets). I am going to also start bringing him with me when my band starts to do performances, first one is at the end of April, provided the weather is mild. We have a semi-full schedule so far for the Summer months, so lots of opportunities.

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Once the weather improves, Salty will be with me when ever I go out (unless the venue prohibits parrots, like supermarkets). I am going to also start bringing him with me when my band starts to do performances, first one is at the end of April, provided the weather is mild. We have a semi-full schedule so far for the Summer months, so lots of opportunities.
That is so awesome! Does salty like it when you play or does it make him uneasy? Got any stories about people having unusual reactions to salty? Has anyone asked if heā€™s real?

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
When I am playing fiddle, he sits on my right shoulder for awhile, drifts over the to the left. Sometimes he goes to chew the wood and thats when he comes off to chill a bit. And yeah, about every 30 seconds I get that "Is he real?". I usualy say " Yeah! He's real - REAL hungry - whyncha just offer your finger to him." IF I am in pirate garb, he gets like a million pics taken of him. If folks will listen, I tell them about the fallacy of parrots on pirate ships. Any parrots taken on board would more likely be eaten then kept as a pet. And imagine trying to keep a parrot from going out of its mind in a heavy storm at sea, with all the noise, the deck going crazy, water coming in from everywhere and no one really noticing if the hatches or doors were closed.

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
I'm just starting to take my birds outside and harness train my YCA, so I think I'll just keep doing that this whole summer. And I'm also just gonna keep going with my work, and spend as much time with the flock as possible. My partner is also gonna move in with me sometime this summer, so I'm looking forward to that.

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
When I am playing fiddle, he sits on my right shoulder for awhile, drifts over the to the left. Sometimes he goes to chew the wood and thats when he comes off to chill a bit. And yeah, about every 30 seconds I get that "Is he real?". I usualy say " Yeah! He's real - REAL hungry - whyncha just offer your finger to him." IF I am in pirate garb, he gets like a million pics taken of him. If folks will listen, I tell them about the fallacy of parrots on pirate ships. Any parrots taken on board would more likely be eaten then kept as a pet. And imagine trying to keep a parrot from going out of its mind in a heavy storm at sea, with all the noise, the deck going crazy, water coming in from everywhere and no one really noticing if the hatches or doors were closed.
that is so awesome!!!

Has salty ever broke the bow for your fiddle or chomped a chunk off the fiddle?

Omg the real hungry is super funny! Salty would be like ā€œhmm these carrots ainā€™t quite right.ā€

I had no idea they would be eaten rather than be a companion although it makes sense considering they would be more of an issue than anything on a ship.

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
I'm just starting to take my birds outside and harness train my YCA, so I think I'll just keep doing that this whole summer. And I'm also just gonna keep going with my work, and spend as much time with the flock as possible. My partner is also gonna move in with me sometime this summer, so I'm looking forward to that.
Thatā€™s super awesome! I wish you, your partner, and your birds good luck!

Most Reactions