What are your opinions on corner cages?

Matt

Apr 24, 2012
Oklahoma
I made my deposit on a baby CAG. He should be weaned around the beginning of July. I bought a cage (used) from a couple that just finish hand-building their Cockatoo a new cage. I cleaned and sanitized the cage, before reassembling it. Interior dimensions are 36"X36"X48". i am not sure how to measure dimensions are non-square cages, but the shorter walls are about 20" each. I removed the wooden perches from the playpen on top of cage, I didn't feel comfortable using perches someone else's bird had chewed on. I am also in the process of replacing the food bowls. What do you guys think?

matt-albums-cage-picture3927-cage1.jpg

matt-albums-cage-picture3928-cage2.jpg

QuackQuack

Oct 20, 2011
Midwest USA
Parrots
KITTY: Pineapple Green Cheek Conure (2 year old)
BODE: Nanday Conure (5 years old)
KIWI & BLUE: English Budgerigars (RIP after 10 years)
I love 'em! With most birds you will have to pull the cage out and wipe the walls down regularly because they like to make a mess. I'd probably paint with a brand meant to be wiped down before I put a cage in the corner. I'd think the nook aspect of the cage would make a bird feel safe.

vicky2200

Mar 24, 2012
Michigan
Parrots
Cockatiels and Parakeets
Looks like a good size cage if you have plenty of time to take the bird out each day. I would want a much larger cage (personally) if I knew I would have some days each week that I would only have an hour or so.

OP
M

Matt

Apr 24, 2012
Oklahoma

solobaby

Jul 14, 2011
Parrots
Solo(indian ringneck)-Marley(green cheek conure)- Dobby (cockatiel)
he is adorable

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
I purchased some plexiglas from Lowes and had it cut to size to make a 3-sided covering for all the walls the cage borders with, and one for the floor underneath, then I secured the wall-covering plexi with museum putty so I can just take them outside to hose them off.

You also want to make sure all your painting is done well in advance of getting ur bird or he won't live long from the fumes. So do all of ur home improvement stuff now, so later on you won't hafta worry about fumes and debris being unhealthy for him.

OP
M

Matt

Apr 24, 2012
Oklahoma
Thanks for the Plexi-Glass tip. That will be a lot easier than tiling the walls.

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
only thing to watch out for is keeping ur bird from chewing on the plexi, I've read lotsa stuff that warns against allowing them to chew on plastics that aren't bird-safe.

I make sure I pull the cage out far enough so he can't bridge the gap to get to it when he's out of his cage. You could also make it taller than he could reach and that would do the trick as well.

MaraWentz

Banned
Banned
Mar 27, 2012
Media
St.Leonard, MD
Parrots
Red Front Macaw, Elvis, 10,male RIP

Red Front Macaw, Erin, 1.5,female

Goffin Cockatoo, Blossom 2,female Rehomed

Blue & Gold Macaw, Oscar, Male, 21 years old, Rehomed

American Bulldog Mix,
I have the same exact corner cage for my macaw, but bigger. I also had a one for my goffin cockatoo. They're wonderful. Saves a lot of space. We never had to use plexi glass with the the one you have because of the seed gaurd provided enough from where she couldn't touch the walls and the caught her mess- unless she was on the cage door. The only problem I had is the inconvenience of pulling the cage out from the wall to change the paper because the pan pulls out the back. Also when it's against the wall on almost all three sides its hard to get a bird down without pulling the whole cage off the wall. Also the one you have that we got had the predrilled holes for the playpen in the wrong spot.. :(

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
awwww what a cute baby. Alison and sweetie pie:D

Most Reactions