What do you feed your conures?

M

MrSebastior

This thread is mainly about GCCs, but I'm guessing it's all the same, right?
Anyway, what do you feed yours?

When it comes to seed, do you give them big boy seeds (when you pick them from a basket and put in a bag) or the smaller ones? I'm guessing big boy, right? Like they contain just a few bigger type of seeds, some nuts sometimes even.

Are plain peanuts okay for GCCs? I might be picking a 14-15 week baby up this weekend.

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
Seed actually should be a very small part of your gcc baby's diet. There are lots of threads here you can search for advice. Pellets are great for them as are fruits, veggies, and other stuff. Please search those threads before picking up your baby so they grow healthy and strong.

Best of luck!

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Seeds are basically the French fries of the bird world. They love them, but they are not healthy and an all seed diet can make them very sick which can lead to plucking, screaming, biting, and other issues.

Sprouts and veggies should make up the vast majority of your GCCs diet, with some fruit and seeds only as treats, sprout a conure seed mix, I use volksmans conure mix for sprouting. Pellets are better than seeds, but they are processed food and not as much of a one size fits all plan as most people think. Before you pick up your bird, commit to providing a healthy fresh diet of sprouts and veggies with a little fruit and seeds as treats.

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
This thread is mainly about GCCs, but I'm guessing it's all the same, right?
Anyway, what do you feed yours?

When it comes to seed, do you give them big boy seeds (when you pick them from a basket and put in a bag) or the smaller ones? I'm guessing big boy, right? Like they contain just a few bigger type of seeds, some nuts sometimes even.

Are plain peanuts okay for GCCs? I might be picking a 14-15 week baby up this weekend.

In some cases, yes, you can feed larger seeds, though seeds like dried corn will probably be left by your greencheek, as will the small grass seeds eaten by cockatiels, finches, canaries, etc......

Because raw peanuts have a bad habit of being associated with aspergillus mold, it is best to roast the peanuts, in the shell, or you can shell them, but roasting raw peanuts at 350° F for about 20 minutes will kill any mold/mold spores and make the peanuts safe for your bird(s).....you might want to remove the roasting peanuts from the oven just before they a finished cooking, so you don't burn them...the will continue to cook until cooled.....

4dugnlee

Apr 27, 2014
Ohio
Parrots
Sassy - 13 y.o. Blue Front Amazon, Cisco - 6 y.o. Sun Conure, Peanut - 8 y.o. U2
Fred - 2(?) y.o. Cockatiel, Ginger - 3 or 4(?) y.o. Cockatiel
My sun eats Harrison's pellets (fine) and Roudybush pellets (small/med). He will also eat Zupreem natural pellets (small/med). He's not big on seeds so that's a plus for me. He eats veggies and fruit but it's hard to find things he will eat in that department. I would start him on the veggies ASAP with some fruit too. I would also get him switched to pellets from seed ASAP. Mine sun is 5 years old so it's harder to get him to eat the veggies and fruit since he wasn't eating it before. He will try more things if it is what we are eating.

saka_sandora

Aug 2, 2014
Wenatchee
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures
Genesis
Angeal
Zack
I feed Roudybush mini for my GCC's. They get nutriberries for treats/before I leave for work.

veimar

Feb 5, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
gcc Parry; lovebird Coco; 3 budgies (Tesla, Franky and Cesar); cockatiel Murzik, red rump parakeet girl Onyx
I use Volkman seed mix plus some pellets soaked in juice (he wouldn't eat them dry) and fresh fruits and veggies. Mine is extremely active bird, so I give him a few sunflower seeds a day as well.

Most Reactions

Latest posts