What do you feed your Macaw?

MattStewart84

Feb 24, 2013
San Diego
Parrots
Green Wing Macaw
Other then the obvious fruits, seeds, etc., what does your Macaw love to eat? My Green Wing goes crazy for mac n cheese, he'd eat a whole bowl if I let him.

ParkersMom

Jan 18, 2013
Nashville TN
Parrots
Parker male BF Amazon hatched 5/2/2012
Charlie unsexed BF Amazon hatched 1994?
Juno Female BH Caique Hatched 6-3-2013
Keiko likes toll house crackers

plax

Banned
Banned
Jun 29, 2012
United States
Parrots
'Jack' (Blue & Gold),
'Maynard' (Military),
'Zaffer' (Hyacinth),
'Salsa' (Green-wing)
Other then the obvious fruits, seeds, etc., what does your Macaw love to eat? My Green Wing goes crazy for mac n cheese, he'd eat a whole bowl if I let him.
Hi Matt... while Macaws typically love cheese, most avian vets warn against feeding it to them. In addition to the high fat content of cheese (and it's not the good kind of fat), cheese may obstruct the digestive tract of a parrot. I used to feed my B&G and my Military foods containing cheese on occasion, but I haven't for a long while.

As far as offering pasta, I now only feed my guys whole grain pasta - and never with cheese! It's a shame because they seem to love cheese so much. But in my view the most important thing is to look out for their health needs.

Also, most avian vets agree that quality pellets should replace seeds in a parrot's diet whenever possible. And vegetables are very important as well because of the nutrients they contain. Some various unsalted nuts are as well essential (they contain the good kinds of fat).

OP
MattStewart84

MattStewart84

Feb 24, 2013
San Diego
Parrots
Green Wing Macaw
Well my Macaw is a lot happier then yours. HAHA Just a joke.

Yes. I know cheese is not the best treat. I'v owned macaws for 10 years, done lots of research and see the vet regularly.

Have a nice night.

blackhawk007

Jan 23, 2013
Chicago
Parrots
Teka~Red Lored Amazon 20 years old,. . Ruthie ~ 16 year old Ruby Macaw, . .
My Mac actually loves Harrisons pellets, and that's great since my Zon wont eat them. She also eats Totally organics pellets and Zupreem. The only seeds she gets are the ones that are in Avi-Cakes and Nurtiberries. She loves an occasional variety of nuts.

Narkissios

Feb 2, 2013
Perth
Parrots
Midnight-B&G Macaw
Well my Macaw is a lot happier then yours.
Kinda gives a whole new meaning to the term "Mac & Cheese" I guess :D

Priceless,. I dnt have my mac yet, but my port lincon will do anything for a krusket, even if he is full or tired he will getup and fly to me for one.

Arnott's Australia : Products

They dont seem esp bad for them either. He doesnt get to nibble often once every 3-4 days ill grab a bisket out and let him have a chow down in a training session.

Last edited:

noblemacaw

Sep 23, 2011
Parrots
Valentino - Red Fronted Macaw - Hatched August 12, 2012
I sprout a seed mix and add "the wigglies" to his salid. Valentino really enjoys peeling the shells off the seed sprouts and eating the "wigglies" It is my understanding that sprouting the seeds are much more healthy than just feeding the seeds.

Valentino also gets Tropican mixed with Harrison's. I can't tell which pellet he likes better because he will eat them both until the bowl only has powder in it. I would LOVE to find somewhere to buy Tropican without having to buy the freaking 20 pound bag. I have too much pellets in the freezer right now. I also am trying to figure out how good Tropican is compared to the other pellets available. What is the best pellet to feed a RFM??

Second bowl is the fresh mix. On the bottom is put the chopped up veggies including, carrot, broccoli, jalapino (two different types) Anaheim, those small sweet peppers. Second layer is the sprouts with sugar snap peas lining the edge. On top of that will be some yam squares then I sprinkle on the parrot spice (powder mix from the breeder she adds to the fresh food. It has things like Alfalfa, Barley grass, wheat grass, beet, carrot, garlic, kelp, dandelion greens, spirulena, yucca powders. The powder makes the food look weird but Valentino LOVE IT.

The only thing different I do than the breeder is adding in all the different kind of peppers. The breeder lives in Texas so she has better access to fresh produce than I do this time of year so she gets to add better veggies. This week I have noticed the produce is getting better so spring is on its way and better veggies will be able to be procured.

Treats include human grade nuts. Pistacho's are Valentino's favorite and I use these as a high value treat for training. He also likes cashews and almonds. He does not seem to like pecans, brazil or those little round nuts they put in drinks (I can't remember the name for them) and this one shocked me. Valentino does not really like macadamia nuts either. How ODD! He is so not going to Hawaii.

Amethyst

Feb 25, 2013
U.S.A.
Parrots
Blue Front Amazon - male.
I feed mine Harrison's coarse. She loves it. Occasionally I will give her one random nut as a treat or some fruit, but since she tends to gain weight - I limit her snacks.

sodakat

Jul 15, 2009
I feed mine Harrison's coarse. She loves it. Occasionally I will give her one random nut as a treat or some fruit, but since she tends to gain weight - I limit her snacks.

I'm surprised you limit her fresh foods, especially fruits.

Amethyst

Feb 25, 2013
U.S.A.
Parrots
Blue Front Amazon - male.
Her vet said she's a bit overweight and consuming sugar would contribute to that. Her diet is his instructions in order for her to return to a good weight.

Most Reactions

Latest posts