What do you put under the cage/perch?

MattieGirl

Apr 12, 2013
Kentucky
Parrots
4 yo B&G - Mattie
I am soooo tired of putting newspaper down. =/ I can't imagine doing it every day for 50 more years. LOL

What do you use under the perch or cage to catch the poo?

Thanks.

Wdlodge

May 13, 2013
Media
San Diego
Parrots
Kiwi -Pacific Parrotlet, Rio - Senegal. Both hatched 2/2013
I am soooo tired of putting newspaper down. =/ I can't imagine doing it every day for 50 more years. LOL

What do you use under the perch or cage to catch the poo?

Thanks.

I use paper towels

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
I put an entire newspaper(15-20 sheets) down inside each cage, I have 17 of them.
I remove the top layer daily....it helps a little

Akraya

May 7, 2012
Brisbane, QLD
Parrots
Misha - Yellowsided GCC
Guapo - Cinnamon GCC
Nimbus - Alexandrine
I use paper towels too, I find they hold onto mess better. I don't change my papers every day though, more like every 2 or 3 days. It's more of an affordability issue at the moment though.

Merlee

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2012
USA
I use newspaper because I receive and read it daily. For it not to do double duty would be a waste of money.

Mommajack

Jun 11, 2013
Texas
Parrots
Rudy the Ruby Macaw
I put an entire newspaper(15-20 sheets) down inside each cage, I have 17 of them.
I remove the top layer daily....it helps a little

This is what I do. Put down as much as I have, and just remove the top layer as needed.

Of course, Rudy has taken to shredding it up lately :mad:

OP
MattieGirl

MattieGirl

Apr 12, 2013
Kentucky
Parrots
4 yo B&G - Mattie
I don't think I was clear. =/

I use newspaper inside the cage and that works fine. My problem is when she is outside of the cage. She sits on the top opening that folds down flat and will squat off the edge and poop. I keep newspaper all around the outside of the cage on the floor to keep the poop off my hardwood.

Same with her play stand. I just end up putting newspaper all around on the floor. Most of the time at least one ends up hitting just where two sheets come together and then I still have it on the floor. :eek:

I just wondered if anyone had come up with something brilliant and easier to manage. haha

Mommajack

Jun 11, 2013
Texas
Parrots
Rudy the Ruby Macaw
What about a painter's cloth? You could cut it to size and have several, and change them out as they needed to be washed. Or perhaps one of those big plastic mats you put under office chairs. I don't know how expensive they are but they should be easy to clean.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
If you have a bird that sits on the door of the cage...
DoorSkirts, Birdcage Cage Skirt Door Skirt Home

I used to have one of the original models for an old cage, but ended up selling it.

You can always get an acrylic/plexiglass sheet to put underneath the cage... or a floor mat.

I currently don't use anything underneath my birds cages since they are in a room that has tile/linoleum like flooring.

Lindylou277

May 3, 2012
FL & NH
Parrots
Coqui, 9 yr old female B/G Macaw
Since I don't read news papers I bought craft paper or you could call it butcher paper for the same price as an annual subscription to a news paper and I think it's cheaper than paper towels. I also bought (one time only) a roll cutter. I can make the paper as long or as short as I want for cages or around the playstand. Best part is that it keeps the liquid from staining the rug or the tial groute. Here is link for paper Pacon White Utility Paper Roll - BLICK art materials
Here is e link for the roll cutter Single Paper Roll Cutter - BLICK art materials
I bought the 24" because it fit my corner cage pans best.
I love it and use it under cat food bowl too.

Wdlodge

May 13, 2013
Media
San Diego
Parrots
Kiwi -Pacific Parrotlet, Rio - Senegal. Both hatched 2/2013
I don't think I was clear. =/

I use newspaper inside the cage and that works fine. My problem is when she is outside of the cage. She sits on the top opening that folds down flat and will squat off the edge and poop. I keep newspaper all around the outside of the cage on the floor to keep the poop off my hardwood.

Same with her play stand. I just end up putting newspaper all around on the floor. Most of the time at least one ends up hitting just where two sheets come together and then I still have it on the floor. :eek:

I just wondered if anyone had come up with something brilliant and easier to manage. haha

I use a hand towel or a paper towel. I have a Sennie so her cage isn't huge. She has a boing that hangs from my ceiling fan from the pull cord for the light (not the blades lol - thought I should clarify) and I use a paper towel to catch her lil bombs there too.

Akraya

May 7, 2012
Brisbane, QLD
Parrots
Misha - Yellowsided GCC
Guapo - Cinnamon GCC
Nimbus - Alexandrine
I use those chair mats for computer desk chairs, have the smooth side facing up and it's really easy to clean off, a little water and GONE!

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
I just let him poop and clean it up as it happens. *shrug*

I'm not lining the rest of the house (couch, chairs, tables etc) with news paper. So if I'm going to be cleaning up poop every day for the rest of my life, I might aswell do it everywhere. I just keep some kitchen roll and disinfectant in each room/every 2nd room and just grab it and clean.

Then again, I only have one senegal who's poops (whilst annoying, stinky, horrible, messy, etc) to me. Are probably nothing on macaws.

Those cage guard things seem a really good idea for cage perchers though!

MissyMe83

Nov 29, 2011
Indiana
Parrots
Tate ~~
White Capped Pionus -
Violet ~~ Yellow Naped Amazon - Jupiter ~~ Baby B&G Macaw (coming soon)
I like the towel idea... that's a good one. Just throw it in the wash every other day. I might start doing that... For now I use a trash bag, so it can't leak through. My Zon has very watery poops that go right through newspaper and paper towels. I just buy a roll of the really cheap garbage bags for lining the cage trays as well. You can get a roll of at least 10 bags for a buck at Walmart. I wouldn't use them as actual trash bags as they are thin and don't have a drawstring, but for lining they do the trick!

MacawLoverOf3

Jun 23, 2013
Parrots
Jody
Kalea
Donovan
I have a manzanita play area that is suspended from the ceiling (to keep Kalea from sliding down off it and roaming around chewing everthing up as she goes) which is 6 ft long and 3 wide and the best thing I found was using 20" brown kraft paper. Actually the next time I order a roll it will be with the poly coating on the underside because I thought I bought a heavy enough weight but it soaks through and I have to double the paper up anyway. I also use a few small pieces of the blue masking tape for painting which holds the paper in place when they go flapping the wings and gets things flying.

punkindave

Apr 9, 2013
Media
Albums
Bethlehem, PA
Parrots
Budgie Niles, Rascal RBC-2001, Jake "footloose" CAG-2015, Butchie Triton-1988, Neyteri "Chatterbox" CAG, and the "Squeak Squad" (4 Caiques) ScooterPie 8/12, Skittles 4/13, Chica 2006, Ringo 2009
Since I don't read news papers I bought craft paper or you could call it butcher paper for the same price as an annual subscription to a news paper and I think it's cheaper than paper towels. I also bought (one time only) a roll cutter. I can make the paper as long or as short as I want for cages or around the playstand. Best part is that it keeps the liquid from staining the rug or the tial groute. Here is link for paper Pacon White Utility Paper Roll - BLICK art materials
Here is e link for the roll cutter Single Paper Roll Cutter - BLICK art materials
I bought the 24" because it fit my corner cage pans best.
I love it and use it under cat food bowl too.

Did the same.. Works great and butcher paper doesn't stain like newsprint when it gets wet!! We get White freezer paper from a local restaurant supply house for < $20/roll for 24" x 800' Been using the original roll for 4 months to do 4 large cages and it's not even half gone..
Find Your Local Store - The Restaurant Store

If you have an area that gets "hit" often think about sticky painters tarp runners (couldn't find a link but this is also prob good..)
3M 3.5 ft. x 15 ft. Hand-Masker Floor Gripper Anti-Slip Runner-FG-15 at The Home Depot

forbey

Apr 26, 2013
Media
I went to Menards and bought two rubberized floor mats with a woven carpet built into it. Most days I get away with running a vac over it. When it starts to get nasty, I put the other mat under the cage and spray wash the dirty one and put it out to dry.

emmett518

May 15, 2013
Home Depot black plastic carpet runner. $2.29 a linear food, and it's easy to wash outside with a brush and a hose.

Get the stuff that doesn't have the prickly things sticking down so that it doesn't slide on the carpet. Just get the flat stuff. Black, with ridges on one side, and cross hatching on the other.

emmett518

May 15, 2013
Best way to clean it is to spray with water, let soak for an hour, then brush. Sludge comes right off.

Most Reactions

Latest posts