What do you think about the Flight Suit Diaper?

SilleIN

Aug 18, 2016
Denmark
Parrots
Lots of parrots, most of them rescues
I usually put my parrots in flight suits when I bring them to a business meeting. For some reason no one loves a meeting to be interrupted by the smell and mess of a bird poop.

My job accepts me to use my parrots as ESA's and I therefore bring a parrot with me almost every where.

Also use them, when they go shopping with me. No stores will accept me bringing a bird into the store if any food might get contaminated by bird feces.

I have used them for all sorts of birds (lorikeets, mini-macaws, eckies, cockatoos, large macaws). I don't trust the diaper as a harness on the cockatoos or large macaws, they get a harness on top, but the smaller birds just gets the diaper on and the leash on the velcro attachment.
Mulle can't fly, so no additional harness is needed.
sillein-albums-my-birds-picture20955-7c7e3c8c-89a7-43e7-a3d6-246c53f450a2.jpeg

sillein-albums-my-birds-picture20956-6dc85ae3-68ea-4782-b203-4c231a62bfbd.jpeg

Are you in the US? If you are you are breaking federal law by bringing them into any store that sells food. ONLY service animals (dogs) are allowed into stores that sell food. Not bashing you, but just letting you know.

Nope- I live in the northern part of Europe- In Denmark. Some food stores don't want them in, but I ask if I can bring them and the ones that accept, gets my business :)

And my job accepts them too.

SilleIN

Aug 18, 2016
Denmark
Parrots
Umm bird poop shouldn't smell or something is terribly wrong with the bird. :(

My first thought too! They may be slimy and gross and a rather lot of poop when they come from a big bird but a HUGE plus for parrots as pets is the fact their poop doesn't smell (unless they are seriously sick).

It's not real smell, imaginary smell of people seeing feces.
Umm bird poop shouldn't smell or something is terribly wrong with the bird. :(

Ohh trust me, if some office lady sees a bird poop she can "smell" it. By not seeing it, it magically stops being smelly :14::14:

The diapers are just made of regular fabric and does not stop any odor from exiting, but no one has ever smelled them in the diaper, but "OHH, that's SO smelly" if the diaper is not on :eek:

I actually once had an accident with 4 birds in the car (drunk driver). 1 BG macaw and a rainbow lorikeet was in cages and military macaw and a scarlet macaw was loose in the car. The only 2 birds injured were the ones in cages. They slammed against the cage bars and got open wounds on their chests, while the ones that was loose, ended on the floor, but tumbled instead of being slammed.

I'm not saying that that will always be the case, but the only time I have had an accident with birds in the car, the birds were better off not being caged.

SammyAndyAlex

Sep 9, 2018
Parrots
Sammy - Jardines Parrot - Hatchday: 4.2.2014
Andy - Congo African Grey - Hatchday 6.12.2018
Alex - Congo AfricanGrey - Hatchday 19.1.2021
Nope- I live in the northern part of Europe- In Denmark. Some food stores don't want them in, but I ask if I can bring them and the ones that accept, gets my business :)

And my job accepts them too.

According to Danish law, NO pets are allowed in food stores or places making or serving food. Even service dogs are not allowed if there is risk of contamination.

The stores and you are breaking the law by allowing you to enter the store with an animal of any kind (that is not a service dog).

Even if you were unaware that what you were doing is illegal, it is still your fault as it is a citizens duty to be aware of the law (applies to all Nordic countries).

If the stores that allow the birds sell food, they should be reported for violating the law. (If they don't sell or serve food they get to choose wether they allow animals or not)

I'm all for including pets in daily activities, except for when it becomes a problem (either legally or for other people).

Last edited by a moderator:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
As an American I am in no position to evaluate the laws and mores of another jurisdiction. While everyone should respect both letter and spirit of a law, some are judiciously subject to interpretation. Some are quite antiquated and rarely enforced. An arcane example is the use of profanity in the state of Mississippi. The use of obscene words in the presence of two or more people is punishable by jail up to 30 days. Not typically enforced but on the books!

To the point, Danish food store employees might view a diaper-wearing parrot as reasonably allowed while one sans protection would be prohibited. Perhaps not legal, but a respectful ask with pleasant demeanor might create a judicious exception. Similarly, let us please discuss such affairs in respectful manner!

Last edited:

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
Seperating animals and human-food-selling places is just common sense (and therefore is the law in most countries) - but I can see where a diapered bird that stays put in one place (schoulder?) would be a lot nicer to have around in a store than 3 sticky (litterally) fingered small kids with lax parents touching and trying everything / in terms of hygiene at least! ;) .

So I applaud that people let you in their stores with the parrots-- but they always should be exception, not the rules.
(Not all animals will behave and not spread nastyness)

There are lots of internet pages with the most ridiculous, contradicting and plain funny laws, and quite a few about (ancient) laws about where-ever you live you never heard off and do not get enforced (thank goodness). Always a good laugh.

Last edited:

SammyAndyAlex

Sep 9, 2018
Parrots
As an American I am in no position to evaluate the laws and mores of another jurisdiction. While everyone should respect both letter and spirit of a law, some are judiciously subject to interpretation. Some are quite antiquated and rarely enforced. An arcane example is the use of profanity in the state of Mississippi. The use of obscene words in the presence of two or more people is punishable by jail up to 30 days. Not typically enforced but on the books!

To the point, Danish food store employees might view a diaper-wearing parrot as reasonably allowed while one sans protection would be prohibited. Perhaps not legal, but a respectful ask with pleasant demeanor might create a judicious exception. Similarly, let us please discuss such affairs in respectful manner!

In the Danish case the law is very clear. NO pets on food premises. Service dogs CAN (but not MUST) be given access to a food store.

SammyAndyAlex

Sep 9, 2018
Parrots
Even though I am a big animal lover, I think that animals DO NOT belong inside supermarkets or food stores.

I honestly think it's kind of messed up that not only is someone breaking the law but that they are being applauded for it! But that's just my opinion.

I am personally very happy that the laws in Finland were changed so that Cafes and restaurants can allow pets inside, although food stores are still off-limits. Prior to the law changing Sammy did NOT come with me to any cafes or restaurants.

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
I am rather allergic to cats, so I am very happy they are not allowed in a lot of places.
(though of course traditionally most restaurants/ cafe's etc. will have their own in-house-cat)

People around my food bother me a lot more than animals (my neighbourhood is partially low-income and also very low-social-norms for some) I really dislike other people ( not the trained employees of course) pawing the fresh (unwrapped) bread, swapping eggs in the cartons (it happens a lot: get grad a for grade c price etc.), pinching & bruising the fruit, tossing and dropping the veggies etc..
Give me a well behaved shoulderbird any day :)
Law or no law.... ;)

It would be great if they also would keep out not-so-well-behaved-people.

Last edited:

SilleIN

Aug 18, 2016
Denmark
Parrots
In the Danish case the law is very clear. NO pets on food premises. Service dogs CAN (but not MUST) be given access to a food store.

To be honest I don't really worry too much about what you might think. In Denmark a lot of food stores will allow pets, if there are no risk of contamination (direct contact between animal and food).

This is due to the large number of thefts of dogs left outside. If you carry your dog (or other pet) they will allow the pet inside. The only thing the store has to have is a protocol to handle any contamination.

There may be a law, which prohibits animals inside, but for the past 20 years people have brought their pets into the stores on a daily basis.

Danish law is not only made of the written laws, but just as much of "kutyme" ( I don't know how to translate this legal term correctly to English- as translations only translate the "non-legal" term of the word) and court decisions.

Actually a court decision would overrule any written law (as Denmark has to adhere to not only our national laws, but European and International laws too) If a national law conflicts with an international law, it would be the international law, that overrules the national law.

In international law people are entitled to have an ESA if a physisian has deemed it necessary. It is correct, that Danish law has written service animals as "dog", but as international law does not limit it to dogs only, I use my parrots as ESAs (as written in my original post). They are all equiped with the regulated "servicedyr" markings (as seen on the photos).

If I were to bring this issue to the courts, I am very certain I would win such a case (but no point in spending money as this is not a problem for anyone other than a person in Finland- apparently) as international laws overrule the "dog" written in national law.

The previous times any conflict between national and international law regarding service animals has been brought to the Danish courts, the international laws has been prevailing.

charmedbyekkie

May 24, 2018
US/SG
Parrots
Cairo the Ekkie!
No doubt, flexibility is a very regionalised thing. I grew up outside a tiny 'town' (my European friends call it a village), but four hours north was the 'big city' (really not big at all) where the people and culture there was very different - and this is all within the same state! In one place, you'd get fined for jaywalking, and in the other, the police would jaywalk alongside you :p

Where I live now (different country and all), such decisions (including decisions about bringing your own container for drinks/food/produce or bringing a bird in a taxi/cab/Uber/whatever you call it) really depends on the manager, the staff member, and their demographic, even if the law says one thing or another.

Let's not talk about the Section 377a of our penal code!!

Back to topic though, Flight Suit Diapers seem to be useful for birds who don't care about your shoulder being clean. And they come in cute outfits (I saw a superman one), so as long as you're being hygienic about it (helping the bird keep themselves clean and not too long in the diaper - just like a human baby), it might give a peace of mind wherever you're a guest, whether it be a friend's house or an outing.

SammyAndyAlex

Sep 9, 2018
Parrots
Flightsuits are okay when used with an aviator harness, but personally I had one when Sammy was younger but we've only used it about 2 or 3 times. For longer car rides it's good.

Most Reactions