What exactly is emergency recall?

DannyA93

Jan 22, 2012
Las Cruces, NM
Parrots
Pineapple Turquoise Greencheek Conure-Ivy❤️, Male Cockatiel-Lusa (aka Bub =D)
Hello is it a whole different command or something like that? How do you train emergency recall? i was kinda thinking maybe its like you have the normal recall command and the emergency is like a whistle or something that could be heard from a ways off? I don't know any tips and tricks are GREATLY appreciated:) I've read that sun conures are one of the best choices for free flight and i wanna do it right thanks:)

parrot14

Jul 30, 2012
Jakarta, Indonesia
Parrots
sun conure, yellowside conure, long tailed parakeet, black bearded parakeet, african grey
This is what raz rasmussen said on this issue:
Emergency recall Training a super reliable and fast recall for situations where there is danger or the bird is flying fast and getting too far away. It employs “super bonus” treats, which makes it more strongly motivated than a normal recall in the face of distractions, and to be effective it can’t be overused.

Find it here:
Emergency Recall | Carly Lu's Flight Blog

My own experience:
I train Jerry, my sc, did boomerang flight and give a particular cue/ call and give jackpot reward as suggested... I do this with the reason of:
1. She is very bonded to me, whatever scared her if she perched away from me she would directly looking for my shoulder

2. when she startled of things (mostly stray cats) when she perched on me, she will fly off. By trained her boomerang flight, this could be anticipated by such behavior built through the training.

Once jerry and hooper ( my GCC) freaked by stray cats and fly off within seconds until both can't be seen. I shouting my cue and within a minute both come back safely.

Mudkips

May 6, 2012
Media
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Birdy the Green Cheek Conure
Emergency recall is supposed to be an override of your birds natural instincts.

The theory goes like this:
Free flight (arguably) consists of a bird flying around at its own free will outdoors.
If the owner sees a possible approaching danger to the bird, or if the bird is distracted, the owner can call the bird back.

It gets even harder when the bird gets frightened and instinctively flies away, a strong emergency recall can override the birds instinct and call it back mid flight.
It has to be one of the hardest, if not the hardest, thing to train a bird to do.

It's like training your bird to do a trick while its scared. :p

Last edited:

Mare Miller

Banned
Banned
May 14, 2011
Media
sierra foothills of central California
Parrots
13yr. old male umbrella cockatoo,
we call him Amigo!

7yr. old Goffin cockatoo, she IS Sassy!!
I've never practiced recall training but Amigo will come to my vicinity when I call, not to my body, normally, but within range of getting him. The way I get him to perch on my shoulder is by walking around the yard, while calling, and he will fly right to me. If there is a large bird in the area, while on our walk, he will glue himself to me!

This is my experience with an umbrella cockatoo. Conures may be a whole nother story!

Most Reactions