What games do you play with your parrot

faeryphoebe1

Feb 1, 2013
Media
San Antonio, Texas
Parrots
Trixie, Sunny & Gonzo♡♡♡
Peek-a-Boo, playing with sparkly little kid jewelry, costume jewelry (under supervision), and my hair. My GCC used to play in a wooden doll-house but I haven't taken it out lately. My Sun would split the doll-house apart with his beak in no time, so no doll-house for him, lol. He breaks the rungs off thick, wooden ladders in no time. They both dance to pop music and Sunny does beeping sounds to the beat. Oh, and they both love cuddling with soft, stuffed animals.

Last edited:

Poppetsmum

Jul 31, 2013
Parrots
Poppet. A Quaker.
I play peekaboo with Poppet which he loves. I also put him on the dining table, roll up little balls of paper and roll them for him. He runs after them with eyes pinning doing the dirtiest laugh.

Jayyj

Apr 28, 2013
UK
Parrots
Alice - Galah cockatoo
Alice's favourite game is the one where she steals a key off the laptop and makes off with it. We try not to encourage that one. Shredding paper is a popular one that we can do together and doesn't risk damage to expensive electrical equipment.

Sometimes if I'm not feeling 100% I'll bring a duvet into the front room and try to nap on the sofa where she can at least see me. This inevitably ends up with her scuttling about on top of the duvet which she loves doing - and if I then bounce her up and down from under the duvet she does all sorts of little nose dives and forward rolls, squawking like a mad thing, flapping her wings and popping her crest. In a similar vein, hanging off my shirt sleeve whilst squawking and flapping her wings is also popular. Don't know what it is about galahs but all the best games seem to end up with them upside down!

As if to underline the point, as I was typing that last line she's just nonchalantly strolled down my arm, wrapped her toes around a finger and launched herself upside down, dangling above the laptop and looking at me with an expression that clearly said "can you lower me a bit further, I can't quite reach the keyboard"...

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
I played soccer with Dominic today. We used a whiffle ball with a bell inside and he's learned to 'play ball' in return for a treat. Next, I'll teach him to put things into a cup. He's still pretty ungainly with his lipomas hanging down - has to use his beak to steady himself when moving along his perch - but I'm trying to get him moving more and more with a view to weight loss. If anyone has any suggestions for encouraging a bottom-heavy bird to fly, I'd love to hear them!

kendrafitz

Jul 14, 2012
Central NJ
Parrots
Rosie the Green Winged Macaw
Rosie loves peek a boo. She cracks me up bc she will say A BOO! when I "find her".

She also likes to do somersaults on me. Hoping to play more games with her once we get back from vacation and the kids head back to school. :)

ShellyBorg

Apr 8, 2013
Redding, CA
Parrots
TAG Spirit,RLA Danny,Senegal Damon, Parrotlet Opal, B&G Paris
I played soccer with Dominic today. We used a whiffle ball with a bell inside and he's learned to 'play ball' in return for a treat. Next, I'll teach him to put things into a cup. He's still pretty ungainly with his lipomas hanging down - has to use his beak to steady himself when moving along his perch - but I'm trying to get him moving more and more with a view to weight loss. If anyone has any suggestions for encouraging a bottom-heavy bird to fly, I'd love to hear them!

With Danny I hold him in the cup of my hands facing out, then "fly" him around the house. Its a game and a work out for both of us!

Spirit loves to play "Here comes the bubble bee and it's going to get your tummy!" I slowly swirl my finger around as I get closer to his tummy and he gets all fluffy and starts to sway back and forth.

We also play "get your toes" Where he will growl and fluff and bluff as I reach out to just touch his toes. When he does "get" me its looks vicious but in truth its vary soft. To get me to play this one he will reach out and touch my fingers then jump back and stomp! LOL

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
With Nika it's either ball or explore the house, where she perches on my hand and we walk around, she leans toward the object she wants to explore and I take her to it...she wants to check out every little thing, every corner, every single object. We also do flight recall where I hide in different areas of the house and call her and she has to fly around and find me :)

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
I play fetch with Rosie, she throws the item and I return it lol
Also trick training

Kenji and I make noises at each other, he usually wins by going to high pitched and I can't mimic him lol

cnyguy

Apr 23, 2010
Syracuse, NY
Parrots
Quaker parrot, Ralph
Ralph's favorite is the tapping game, which he invented. :) He will tap with his beak on the cage bars, a perch, or anything handy (sometimes including my head :D ) and I am expected to tap back in exactly the same way. If he taps three times softly, then that's what I have to do. If I get it wrong, I get squawked at. :D

He also likes to play Fetch, a favorite of lots of parrots (it's we humans who actually do the fetching, of course). He'll drop a toy or other object, and I have to pick it up and give it back to him, so we can do it all over again.

Sometimes, we play "Where did Ralph go?" which is simply our version of peekaboo.

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
Peek-a-boo with a tea towel, and "find the treat". Kinda like 3 card monte. I hide a treat under a small paper cup (1 of 3) and my 'tiel or lovebird finds it. Also, I have a rawhide lace with a bead on one end. We play tug-of-war, and chase the bead.

Katyo91

Jun 25, 2014
Wichita, KS
Parrots
Indian Ringneck (Beaker)
Sun Conure (Pico)
Peek-A-Boo is my sun conure's favorite! he hides under my bed and if i'm not paying enough attention he comes out and looks at me until I say "Peek-a-boo!!" and then he runs back underneath and chuckles to himself....it is Absolutely Adorable! haha

My IRN's favorite game is playing with a large marble (or sometimes a tennis ball!) on the ground...he loooves the sound of it rolling on the hardwood floor or the kerplunk noise when he drops it! He also likes to stand on his cage and intentionally drop things for me to say "Uh Oh!" and then give back to him.

i love my guys :))

Most Reactions

Latest posts