What happens to your parrots if you die…

Chesphoto

Feb 10, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
Parrots
Skittles - scarlet macaw
A sobering topic and I am sure you have given it some thought. However, I have to share a story of what not to do.

I don't own a parrot, but I am looking to adopt one so I started volunteering at a rescue shelter. I really love macaws but was so afraid of being bite by one. So week by week, I got to feed them, clean their cages and play with them. One actually decided that they really liked me and if all goes well, I may be able to bring him/her home…

Now here is the sad part. This poor bird is one of sixteen parrots that have spent the last 10 years living in deplorable conditions by a lady that did not have the resources to care for them. She is currently being prosecuted for animal abuse. Poor diet, way too small cages, no time in sunshine or even out of the cages and no grooming or vet care. Many of these birds have atrophy in their wings because they were never able to extend their wings. That is the case with the scarlet that is adopting me. Most of them are very cage aggressive. One amazon had to have its wings removed and one blue and gold is going to have to be euthanized because of illness.

All this, because some man who was dying made his wife promise that she would care for his parrots. She obviously did not have the skills to care for them and was afraid of them. Yet she felt obligated to keep the birds because she made the promise to her dying husband. This went on for 10 years until someone finally reported her.

I know that I preaching to the choir here, because I know that you guys are the ones that care for your companions, but please share this with other owners. Don't try to force a loved one into caring for your parrots. Find someone now that shares your passion for parrots and teach them the proper way to care for them. Don't ever let this happen to your birds.

Thanks,
Tom

Last edited:

Sasha2

Mar 11, 2013
Midwest
Parrots
Sun conure , greencheek conure
My son would take mine.Although he would probably rehome the tiels.
This is something I think about.Ill be 50 next year, getting up there.
If my Sun conure lives 30 years I will be 80.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
That is a terrible situation your describing, and I am glad she is being prosecuted. "Taking care" of them could have been placing them in a sanctuary since she wasn't able to actually care for them herself.

On the topic of what to do to make sure your birds receive proper care after you die, is to include them in your will. And not in the way cousin Suzy is in for a big surprise after you pass. Whomever you leave them to should know and agree to take them before they are written into the will to get them, or will them to a sanctuary. If you will them to a sanctuary, you also need to leave funds to care for your bird to the sanctuary as well (not sure it's a requirement, but it's the right thing to do). My parents have me in their will to take on the care of their 3 birds. I love their birds, and am more than willing to take on their care after my parents pass or even before if they just reach a point they cannot care for them any more. Sadly, the actual reason they have to be written into the will in our case is so my extended family that lives closer can't get rid of them before I can come collect them (I wouldn't put it past them to load them up that day and leave them at the local animal shelter).

BTW, what shelter are these birds at? Are they down in Tucson? I live in AZ and haven't heard about this on the news (usually serious animal abuse cases are on the news). Do you know if any of them may be deemed adoptable at some point (especially the poor baby who lost his wings), or will they become permenant residents at a sanctuary?

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
DYH Amazon-Rescue- Bosley (36),
African Brown head-Rescue- August(9)
It is sad and happens way too often.
Our amazon came from the owner dying and the son trying to take care of it. This didn't work out and he was surrendered to the rescue.
It is important to find someone who can and will handle these birds if something should happen to you.
The rescue where we adopted ours from actually lets people name them in their will if you don't have another option.

Jtbirds

Banned
Banned
Mar 6, 2013
Pennsylvania
It's is very sad that this kinda of thing happens and working in rescue I see it almost everyday as well. Luckily I am you ger and my father is older so I can take in all birds when my father passes away:). As well a very older lady has me in her will to take in her beloved parrots as well. Thanks for the message and I really hope many more people pass it on:)

Greenwing

Mar 8, 2013
Parrots
GW , BG , DYH , YN, CAG
I have all my animals in my will.. As well as monies for there care and medical expense...My attorney thought I was crazy..

But I made a commitment when I first acquired them.. To make sure they are taken care of for the remainder of there lives...and I will do just that...To me loyalty applies to all my charges

OP
Chesphoto

Chesphoto

Feb 10, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
Parrots
Skittles - scarlet macaw
BTW, what shelter are these birds at? Are they down in Tucson? I live in AZ and haven't heard about this on the news (usually serious animal abuse cases are on the news). Do you know if any of them may be deemed adoptable at some point (especially the poor baby who lost his wings), or will they become permenant residents at a sanctuary?

Hi Kiwibird,

I didn't read anything in the news either.

The shelter is in Peoria, Arizona. The birds will be up for adoption, however, I don't believe they know the exact date, because that is up to the government officials. The birds are in a lot better shape then they were in the beginning of February. The name of the shelter is Fallen Feathers and their website is Fallen Feathers - Bird Rehabilitation, Rescue, and Education. They have a Facebook page that had a couple of posts about 16 birds.

WannaBeAParrot

Jul 5, 2012
Media
SE Florida and Sullivan County, NY
Parrots
Cody-Blu, female Blue-Crowned Conure, Hatched - (approx) June 1, 2014, in a South Florida tree.

Pritti (Cherry-Head Conure) -- Fly in Peace my beautiful boy. Forever I'll love you.
If my chosen companions for Pritti predecease me, Pritti is going to a Sanctuary. I have chosen one Flroida, but have to visit it to confirm it is the right one. It looks and sounds great. I am putting aside funds for this, should it ever be needed.

Birdlover11

Aug 23, 2012
Long island
Parrots
Pepsi and sprite, both are American male budgies
I am really really young and I only have 2 budgies right now so I don't really know. I think sadly all my fids will die before me . My soon to be sun even though he might live up to 30 years will most likely die before me. Though I don't have to worry about that right now, I am thinking about when I go to collage. I want to go to Cornell and become a avian vet, it's just that since I'm on long island , Cornell is upstate NY. I will most likely rent a apartment or live in a dorm with one of my friends. Has anyone ever been to Cornell and was aloud to have a small pet in the dorm ?

Birdboy

Feb 12, 2013
Media
Australia
Parrots
Keiko Yellow-crowned Amazon
I don't have to worry :) I'm 13 now. Keiko was born late last year, if. She lives to be 50-60 in my 70's. hopefully I will be in a position to still care for her at that age

ConureCrazy

Jun 13, 2012
Media
California
Parrots
Senegal: Oliver ~~
Yellow-Sided GCC's: Bella and Zora ~~
R.I.P Tweeters the Cockatiel<3
13 here too, so very sadly I believe I will outlive my fids. :( It's a sad thing to think about, but also necessary. I am looking to get a CAG after I finish college, get a job, etc. If he outlives me then he will probably go to one of my future kids...

Birdlover11

Aug 23, 2012
Long island
Parrots
Pepsi and sprite, both are American male budgies
I am eleven . Sadly, I found our that Cornell doesn't aloud any type of pet on the dorm which means I want to rent a apartment. No way am I letting my parants take care of my fids. I just talked it over with them and they said I could rent a apartment :) . I agree with Yasmin, I WILL raise my future kids to like exotic parrots and animals. So then I could pass it down. After I go to collage and have a stable job as a avian vet I want to get a form of cockatoo and maybe a macaw ?

mrgoogls

May 6, 2012
Parrots
1 male Quaker-Cooper
im only 14 now. so sadly i will probably outlive Cooper:( (quakers on average live what? 30 or 40 years? so yeah will probably outlive him) but, i would LOOOOOOOOOVE to get a *bigger* bird in the somewhat far future. maybe a macaw. maybe something like an eclectus or gray. if that outlives me(if that even happens. hopefully but you never know....) i would give it to my future kids. if they for sure wouldnt want it maybe a close friend.

Most Reactions

Latest posts