What is it like to have a Hahns Macaw

jlindsay

Sep 13, 2019
MA
Parrots
Green Check Conure
Crimson Bellied Conure
Linnies
I currently have a green cheek conure and a crimson bellied conure. I was thinking about adding a Hahns Macaw or Blue Crowned Conure to my flock. I know that there are different personalities for each type of bird but still an underlying behavior for each species. So my question is for any owners of Hahns Macaws or Blue Crowned conures. What are they like to live with. Are they nippy, mellow, snuggly, active? Any information will be helpful.

Countrygirl

Nov 9, 2019
Arkansas
Parrots
Hahns macaw
Um not gonna be much help as I am a first time owner of a hahns. I have had him less than a week and I am smitten. I have had a few birds including a nanday, but never got one that was teeming because the owner was fearful of. He is 3 years old. first owner died. I am owner #3.
First day he attacked my mouth(blood everywhere), pretty much my fault. Every day we are making huge advances. Yesterday he climbed all over me like I was his personal jungle gym.
And today he asked for head scratches! He got his bluff in on the dogs and is curious about everything.
My nanday was great too, but much louder and not quite as adventurous as the hahns seems to be

OP
J

jlindsay

Sep 13, 2019
MA
Parrots
Green Check Conure
Crimson Bellied Conure
Linnies
Jeez that does not sound good.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Um not gonna be much help as I am a first time owner of a hahns. I have had him less than a week and I am smitten. I have had a few birds including a nanday, but never got one that was teeming because the owner was fearful of. He is 3 years old. first owner died. I am owner #3.
First day he attacked my mouth(blood everywhere), pretty much my fault. Every day we are making huge advances. Yesterday he climbed all over me like I was his personal jungle gym.
And today he asked for head scratches! He got his bluff in on the dogs and is curious about everything.
My nanday was great too, but much louder and not quite as adventurous as the hahns seems to be

My amazon bit me very badly in the face twice (and on the hands/arms more times than I cared to count) during the first few years we had him (he was a rescue). He did eventually move past the vicious biting thing as we got to know, trust and understand each other and now it’s rare to even get a nip. He hasn’t drawn blood in years, though with any large parrot, you can expect the occasional bite bad enough to draw blood. Don’t take the bite personally or give up on your bird!

To the OP- if you are fearful of a bad bite, a bigger bird may not be for you. They all bite at some point or another. The smaller the beak, less pain and potential for injury when a bite occurs.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Hans are macaws, so i suggest you read all the stickies in the Macaws sub forum.

Most Reactions

Latest posts