What is my Macaw up to?

KITKAT1971

Nov 12, 2022
Parrots
Macaw
My newly adopted macaw does this almost daily and it's a new behavior. She hangs on her toy and make growling type noises. It's cute, but what does she want? She gets plenty of out of cage time everyday. Any insight into my new feather baby would be great. She is about 12 and I've had her about 6 months now :) I tried to upload a video but it's too large

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Sounds like playing to me, but a video would be helpful. (and fun to see either way :) )

What seems to work the best is to upload your video to YouTube and then put the link in your post.

OP
KITKAT1971

KITKAT1971

Nov 12, 2022
Parrots
Macaw
Thid is a nut.

Attachments

• 20230427_082835.jpg
    20230427_082835.jpg
    274.5 KB · Views: 56

PrimorandMoxi

May 29, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Max (23yo) Blue and Gold Macaw,
&
PRIMOR (8yo) Red Lored Amazon,
&
ABBA (33yo) Red Lored Amazon - RIP
Yes, those blue and golds are nuts.

Mine will think of multiple ways to play with the same toy.

Cindylynn

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Apr 7, 2022
Media
Albums
When Pancho does this, he's giving himself scratches. He will actually reach up and scratch his own head in addition to rubbing against the cage. Sound effects and eye contact seem to serve to let me know that he's disappointed that he's having to do it himself.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Goodness, if all Salty did with his favorite toy (a SS tubular bell) is growl with it, I'd be happy. He loves to fight with it, attacking the opening while screaming vile Amazon only curses only to minutes later to using the edge to head scratch himself. A little toy fixation in your B&G is pretty normal.

WakaWaka

Supporting Member
Jun 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Baltimore Maryland
Parrots
Arika - Blue & Gold Macaw
Consider adding more out of cage time!
Big parrots need to work off lots of energy!
Agreed, they need a LOT of attention !!!. If she is not clipped, flying back and forth between you and another with frequent treats as rewards is a lot of fun for her and you. Overall I'd say she is having fun and entertaining herself. Arika growls frequently almost like a Police K9 :) but is not aggressive. They act like 2 year old toddlers even in their older years. Enjoy the antics, never a day goes by where we do not laugh.
I highly recommend reading Birdman's posts, he is the master of Macaws.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Just playing...

And yeah, I have a little golden conure that is more of an attention hog than my two lap macaws ever were... so it's not necessarily a size thing... just a bird thing.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Goodness, if all Salty did with his favorite toy (a SS tubular bell) is growl with it, I'd be happy. He loves to fight with it, attacking the opening while screaming vile Amazon only curses only to minutes later to using the edge to head scratch himself. A little toy fixation in your B&G is pretty normal.

My little BFA beak wrestles with my face hanging upside down by one foot with a toy, while barking like my mom's dog. He's an amazing bird. I need to get video of that...

OP
KITKAT1971

KITKAT1971

Nov 12, 2022
Parrots
Macaw
Update.... she laid an egg shortly after this weird behavior. She wasn't laying on it - I found it broken while cleaning the cage... wow.... at least we know she is definately a female haha. I was advised by a bird expert that I may have unknownly simulated her... Learning experience for me. I'm just glad she wasn't egg bound. Good news is no other eggs since...... love my bird. She is now getting plenty of screen porch time and is mimicking the wild birds :)

Most Reactions