What is she Doing?

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
When Bumble comes out for training and play time every night, after she's had a few treats she starts doing this. It looks like videos I've seen of other birds regurgitating, but she's only about 10 weeks old, so isn't she too young? Other than this, she's her sweet, smart, sassy self but I'm a bit worried about her.

[ame="https://youtu.be/2ukhIBVFRAg"]What is she doing? - YouTube[/ame]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
Yes, she is way too young to be purposely regurgitating due to hormones. That won't start until she is close to a year old.

As mentioned above, they do adjust their crops, some more often than others, and it could be that this is what she is doing, but it could also be a number of other things related to her health, though I really don't think so. You just need to watch her closely and if she displays any signs or symptoms of illness then you need to get her to a certified avian vet ASAP. I really think she is simply adjusting her crop in this video, but with birds you can never be too careful when it comes to their health.

She's 10 weeks old, but how long have you had her? Is she fully weaned? What is her daily diet? And most importantly, since the time you brought her home, have you had her to a Certified Avian Vet for her first (and should be yearly) wellness exam? You should always take a new bird to a Certified Avian Vet for a full wellness exam with fecal smears, cultures, possibly blood work, etc. within the first week or two of bringing the bird home. It's common for baby birds to come home with parasites, as well as bacterial infections, just like bringing home a new puppy and it having worms and needing to go to the vet for it's first checkup, deworming, shots, etc. Owning a bird is no different than owning a puppy in this respect, you don't get a free ride on the vet visits.

Finally, is she showing any other signs or symptoms of illness? Is she eating and drinking normally? Do her droppings look normal in color and consistency? Is she at all lethargic? Puffed up? Sleeping a lot? Sitting at the bottom of the cage?

These are the questions you need to always ask yourself whenever you are concerned that something may be wrong with your bird.

"Dance like nobody's watching..."

OP
Inger

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
Thanks for all that, Ellen. I've had her for 3 weeks. She was fully weaned 1 week prior to coming home. Diet is chop (fresh and frozen mixed), pellets (Harrison's and Zupreem), seeds. The rest of her behavior is normal, in fact as she really settles in she's getting even more active and playful. Poop normal.

She generally does this at the beginning of play/training after having a few treats, which have been tiny pieces of raw cashew or raw almond. She probably gets about a third of one daily.

I got her on a Saturday and had her at the CAV on Monday morning - all tests normal. I did read around here a lot before getting her, so I knew that was important. Breeder also requires it as part of health guarantee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)

Most Reactions