What is the Eclectus hormonal period like?

wilmarth45

Aug 1, 2012
I have a six month old new Eclectus that I got three days ago. He is extremely well behaved, calm, not needy, enjoys our attention, very rarely ever makes any kind of noise or scream. The only thing Im worried about is if this peace of a perfect bird will crumble over time. Will his nice behaviors go away over time as he gets older? Will he turn into a constant screamer with hormones? Thanks.

Oedipussrex

Jun 3, 2012
Australia
Parrots
Charlie - Galah
Not here to judge, but if you were really that worried, perhaps this is a question you should have asked before you got him..?
Anyways; I cannot claim extensive parrot experience, but i read a lot, and there seems to be enough consensus that things like this varies greatly between them all individually.
It depends on how they were weaned, how social-ised they are and if they have chosen to be a "one person bird", and also plenty of environmental factors that may promote or discourage hormonal or breeding behaviour.
By the way you describe him you are off to an amazing start. And he shouldn't "crumble over time" purely because he grows up, as long as training is consistent.

If you ever do have problems, you should be able to manage them quite easily with appropriate training and handling, controlling the environment, and be able to redirect any unwanted behaviours. :)
(and coming back on here would definetly provide you with much more detailed help on whatever specific issues there may be)
My boy is not loud at all, and i don't know about other eclectus's habits, but they dont seem to have a habit of "showing off" and screaming routinely like a lot of cockatoos are known to... (by routinely i do not mean excessively either, i just mean on a regular basis at a regular time)

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
My Eclectus is very quiet most of the time. When he turned three, I noticed he has started growling at me quite a bit, especially when I make him do something he doesn't want to do. Like getting off my shoulder and going back to his cage or sometimes just walking by his cage will get a growl.

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
I have a six month old new Eclectus that I got three days ago. He is extremely well behaved, calm, not needy, enjoys our attention, very rarely ever makes any kind of noise or scream. The only thing Im worried about is if this peace of a perfect bird will crumble over time. Will his nice behaviors go away over time as he gets older? Will he turn into a constant screamer with hormones? Thanks.

Well to be perfectly honest with you the reason your boy is behaving shy is because he is getting used to his new environment. Give him another week or so for him to come out of his shell. He will start to become vocal as time goes on. My eclectus are reasonably quiet. Sometimes they will let go with their alarm call which is loud. But for the most part they are usually just talking to each other or to me.

If you learn to recognize Hormonal Behavior & what it means you will understand it's a label to explain any undesirable behavior. I have heard it so many times, Most think it's so funny & cute when their bird pair bonds with them, mates or regurgitates on their hand or favorite toy. Some even give a toy for that purpose. Not healthy for the bird.

Wild parrots have evolved a physiologic mechanism to control reproduction. They remain turned off sexually for the majority of the year. Their sexual organs become inactive & atrophied, which also minimize weight so that flight is easier. Only when conditions for breeding are favorable do the ovary & testes become active.

In captivity we unwittingly provide conditions that trigger reproductive activity. We change photoperiod, we offer a nest cavity, a strong pair bond, & a nutrient-dense diet. Remember parrots are not domesticated & are driven to a large extent by instinct.

IMO if you educate youself on Parrot Behaviour now you should not have any problems down the track. There is heaps to learn online, Google Companion Parrot Behavior, read everything you can get your hands on.

As a final note my breeding males do get a bit on the loud side when the hens are in breeding mode.

Last edited:

Most Reactions