what is the VERY BEST pellet? or pellet & seed mix?

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
I completely agree that it is all in the selection.

Trans fats are actually in the process of being banned by the FDA in the US, which will be great for my diet!

I just think a lot of people just grab and go with shopping never reading the labels. Moderation is what I say.

I don't know what I would do if my babies didn't like Harrisons. Skittles took to it right off, so did Peaches. So I stick with what works.

As for the vets, I had that impression to about the 'pushing the pellets' which is why I first blew it off when Peaches was sick. But converting her to Harrisons did what the anti-biotics did not, which is what sold me.

I saw a video of some people feeding a sun conure cheese puffs and smores. I think it's those people the vets are trying to reach.

I've just witnessed with my own birds the benefits of Harrisons which is why I speak so highly of it. Peaches is almost 19 y/o and you'd never know it.

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
It is difficult, I just lucked out. I for the longest time had parakeets on a seed only diet, I even bought the best quality seed but they all had nutritional deficiencies which led to discolored beaks. I tried converting parakeets to them and many ended up starving to death. Eventually I figured it out and called Harrisons only to be told they don't recommend it for the smaller birds such as budgies. That would have been nice to know several budgies earlier.

I used to feed Peaches lots of stuff she shouldn't have such as Doritos. But that was years ago when I was just a teenager and didn't know what I know now.

I give her broccoli every now and then - she likes to pick at the florets. But she LOVES them powertreats. I have the mash them up though cause they are too big for her to crack and she doesn't have a strong enough beak to break them open. Skittles on the other hand, I've seen him break chains, small ones, but chains nonetheless.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
South American parrots out in the wild eat clay. (macaws, amazons, conures, pionus, and a couple of other species) Some say it's for minerals while others say it's to help detox their body for the toxic foods that they'll be eating later in the day. Regardless of why they eat clay, they can consume *A LOT* of it!

I get Harrison's Pellets, Kaylor of Colorado Seeds, Goldenfeast seed blends, and occasionally Nutriberries. I'm considering putting one of my conures on one of the Roudybush blends for it's lower fat content than Harrison's. He's gotten to be a bit of a chunky monkey and not flying as much as he should be! Need to get him back in shape!

Maria, considering the variety of health problems that vets see due to a poor diet, many do in fact preach feeding a pelleted diet for that reason! With the introduction of pellets, vets have been seeing fewer diet related health issues over the years. Not only that, but birds are living longer.

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Last edited:

FlyBirdiesFly

Jul 30, 2017
Media
I use a mixture of Harrison’s, Roudybush, and TOP’s pellets for all three of my birds. The TOP’s are organic and have no added flavors, colors, vitamins, or preservatives.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Maria, considering the variety of health problems that vets see due to a poor diet, many do in fact preach feeding a pelleted diet for that reason! With the introduction of pellets, vets have been seeing fewer diet related health issues over the years. Not only that, but birds are living longer.

For my flock the simplistic answer is Zupreem Fruit Blend. Not the best choice for several reasons but the only pellet they consistently eat. I have tried most every mainstream brand/iteration to no avail. They may pick at a pellet or two but toss them overboard.

Pellets are no more than roughly 40% of their daily intake. Fresh vegetables/fruits and a very small amount of seed form the overall diet. Some treats are given such as plain cooked oatmeal, dense whole grain breads, a few Cheerios, and a tiny piece of low-fat string cheese weekly.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
Regulars here will recognize my usual spiel. :)
Harrison's Bird Foods
I feed Harrison's, supplemented by fresh healthy treats. My first, and later, my current avian vet recommended it. My bird loves the pellets now, but to get him converted, my avian vet suggested putting pellets out all day, and putting seeds (his old diet) out for two 15-minute periods a day. That would sustain him but leave him hungry enough to try new stuff. I presume the same technique could be used to get him to eat other healthy stuff. My guy was eating pellets in a couple of days, and now I can feed a good variety of other stuff, knowing he has the pellets as a basic. Pellets are out all day... fresh treats a few times a day. I also like Harrison's via mail because I never have to worry about out-of-date products. :)

Most Reactions