what is your favorite conure species and why?

JamesC

Sep 3, 2011
Knoxville, TN
Parrots
Blue Crown Conures: Tootsie and Rosco.
Senegal Parrot: Sidney.

Feathers of the past:
Budgies: Sunshine, Digit, Kiwi, and Yahto.
Senegal Parrot: Kelly.
"Fly free, little ones. Love and miss you."
Budgies are awesome. I've had four of them over the years. The first one was super friendly and all over anyone in sight. The 2nd was friendly but not quite as warm. I got him a female as a friend. She was hand raised and was pretty neat at first but then turned into a nasty little devil at times when her hormones kicked in. The 4th I never got to form a good bond with. He was parent raised and avoided me but we started to get to be friends then he became ill and I had to feed him medicine which brought that to a halt. He was a great little bird regardless.

I'd love to have more budgies but they would be in danger with my current birds. The only thing I have against budgies is not their personalities but their health. All four of mine died well before their time. The first two had to be put down because of tumors. The female egg bound, I think. The only "bird" vet I could find in the remote town I was living in then could not figure it out. The 4th we never could figure out what was wrong with him. A certified avian vet went all out but he passed after a lengthy illness. I never adopted any more because I hated to take the chance of losing them again so soon. I've heard that they are vulnerable to tumors. But I hope that I just had a run of bad luck and most budgies are healthy and live a full life.

jagrooten5

Sep 7, 2016
James I have heard that too about Budgies. I was wary buying one for my Sister in Law because of that.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

OP
DerTier

DerTier

Jan 27, 2017
Pierce cty wa usa
I'm sorry to hear about your budgies that's so sad! I'm a reptile breeder so our vets are the same and honestly one will be better with birds than my reptiles lol

Im definitely not against rescue but as im training my first service dog who is a rescue bulldog i think id prefer a bird where I'm not coming from behind if possible but as a rescuer if i found the right bird i definitely wouldn't say no to extra work if it needed it.

I've been looking around at expos, and there is one late March in my area, however we leave for hawaii beginning of april for a week...would it be ok for the bird to be babysat for a week and then get to know us, or wait until after our trip?

snowflake311

Jun 7, 2016
Tahoe
Parrots
Sprinkels, Black capped Conure/
Olaf, male, Budgie/
Sweetpea, female, Budgie/
RIP Kiwi, female, Senegal
I grew up with budgies They are cute fun little birds and with a lot of time they can be your best friend. I have 2 now a male and female. They are low maintenance for a bird. I adopted them for free from someone that was bored of them and wanted them to go to a good home. I have since bought them a better cage and more toys so they were not free.

So one good way to find a bird is craigslist.com look in the pet community and for sale. Do a search for conures or birds. I bet you will find a great bird in time. People get rid of birds all the time. They get them thinking they will be easy and low maintenance only to find out they scream and get crazy when neglected. Lots of green cheeks and Suns looking for homes. My Budgies I found on Craigslist and they are great little birds. I love my Sprinkle more he has a lot more personally and spunk. My male budgie and Sprinkles do not get along. They can not be out together.

Last edited:
OP
DerTier

DerTier

Jan 27, 2017
Pierce cty wa usa
Ok you've convinced me to look on cl too :) thanks so much I'm feeling a lot closer to being ready to start looking :)

Im disabled so I'm home 24-7 pretty much always so whatever bird i get will get so much attention and healthy spoiling:)

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
Can you tell me what you mean by maintenance differences?

In terms of how much effort it takes to meet their needs. I had budgies for years and they were perfectly happy being in large cages and keeping themselves company.

Even Peaches, my cockatiel, getting her to stay out of her cage was often a chore. She liked to be in her cage and sitting on her favorite toy.

Skittles on the other hand is the exact opposite. If I am at home, he cannot stand to be caged. He may go in on his own from time to time but the only thing that keeps him occupied when I am home is being with me. Nothing else will suffice. So that makes him higher maintenance because it limits what I can do while he is out.

While I can't speak for all conure species, I do know that suns are VERY social creatures and you have to interact with them direclty for at LEAST several hours each day.

Maintenance should not be confused with abilities. Budgies can be just as good pets, they are just easier to maintain- in terms of behavior needs.

IMO, ALL fids (whether they be budgies or conures) should be interacted with daily and given the same amount of love and attention. But I have just found in my experiences, its easier to keep a budgie occupied without you than it is with a sun conure. Suns will choose a person over a toy every time.

snowflake311

Jun 7, 2016
Tahoe
Parrots
Olaf, male, Budgie/
Ok you've convinced me to look on cl too :) thanks so much I'm feeling a lot closer to being ready to start looking :)

Im disabled so I'm home 24-7 pretty much always so whatever bird i get will get so much attention and healthy spoiling:)

I found a Dusky head conure that sounded like a great bird. My husband shot me down. You can find a good bird in need on there. The bird might be neglected and need a little love to get better. If you meet the bird and have a connection with time you can be best of friends.

jagrooten5

Sep 7, 2016
Yeah my Lily Bird (Jenday) is obsessed with me. If I am home she is screeching for me to let her out and if I try to leave the room even for a second she is flying after me 😂
GCCs are a bit more independent or so I've heard. Leo tends to be satisfied throwing all his food on the floor and dunking pellets in his water dish and ruining things. He is pleased to hang out with me but not desperate.
My Sister in Law's budgie is a cage addict and has to be coaxed out, which isn't ideal for a companion bird especially if you are home all the time 😊

snowflake311

Jun 7, 2016
Tahoe
Parrots
Olaf, male, Budgie/
Yeah my Lily Bird (Jenday) is obsessed with me. If I am home she is screeching for me to let her out and if I try to leave the room even for a second she is flying after me 😂
GCCs are a bit more independent or so I've heard. Leo tends to be satisfied throwing all his food on the floor and dunking pellets in his water dish and ruining things. He is pleased to hang out with me but not desperate.
My Sister in Law's budgie is a cage addict and has to be coaxed out, which isn't ideal for a companion bird especially if you are home all the time 😊

I have a Black capped conure he is very much like a Green cheek but not. My Sprinkles is very needy. He never wants me to leave him. He would live on me if he could. Bird personality plays a role in bird neediness.

jagrooten5

Sep 7, 2016
Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk[/quote]
I have a Black capped conure he is very much like a Green cheek but not. My Sprinkles is very needy. He never wants me to leave him. He would live on me if he could. Bird personality plays a role in bird neediness.[/QUOTE]

jagrooten5

Sep 7, 2016
Eh I tried to do that reply thing but it didn't work 🙃
Thank you for clarifying that, I am new to GCC ownership and am only speaking from my experience 😊

Scoza

Feb 5, 2017
Australi
Parrots
GCC
I had a budgie she was a ripper. She had the run of the house. She had even been outside a number of times more by accident than design but it was never an issue she never went far and always just flew back to me when I called her. She was very independent and bossy but was great fun. My wife's rescue dog killed her and I was devastated.

I took me a while to get another bird but I def needed another little mate. I now have a green cheek. Jet is way more cuddly than my budgie. Dave my budgie would let you rub her chest with your thumb sometimes when she was perched on your index finger but other than that she didnt like to be touched. She was happy to crawl all over you though. Jet loves to be patted and stroked. The budgie was more vocal and flew a lot more. Would fly to you and then back to your cage. For obvious reasons Jet is in his cage unless we are spending time together I never want to go thru that again. But when he is out he just hangs with me he doesnt fly around and explore or go back to his cage he goes where I go. Another difference I have noticed is you can play on the floor and he is comfortable on the floor I doubt dave ever went on the floor. They are both very different birds but both great pets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
DerTier

DerTier

Jan 27, 2017
Pierce cty wa usa
I'm sorry to hear about what happened to your budgie Scoza <3 I definitely got lucky that my rescue dog is ok with all my animals.

You are all so great! I already couldn't wait for our Hawaii trip but now I'm also excited to be done with it so I can finally find my birdy friend :D Great info all around.

kimbell

Nov 17, 2015
Austin, Texas
Parrots
Pico - yellow sided GCC
I love everything about my sun conure. He's like a bird and a clown mixed into one. Super super smart and wants nothing but to be with you. That's his mission in life. Everything Sunnyclover said applies to Moonie except one thing...I can't say he's not too loud. He is quiet as a mouse as long as you are in the same room with him, but will call for you if you leave him alone and his call is LOUD! Wouldn't trade my little brat for anything!
Molly calls for me when I leave too..Like one or two good squawks but then chills while I'm gone. She also greets me with some squawks but these things do not bother me! It's nice.

every time I leave my house and call out to Pico "bye little bird, I love you!" he replies with the most heartbreaking cry. he does this every time he knows i'm leaving.

jce2005

Jan 22, 2017
Clovis, NM
Parrots
Green Cheeked Conure
every time I leave my house and call out to Pico "bye little bird, I love you!" he replies with the most heartbreaking cry. he does this every time he knows i'm leaving.[/QUOTE]

WOW, another "Pico'..... LOL My 2 year old GCC's name is also Pico, he's a male and full of nonsense..... He talks clearly and always wants to play and explore.....if I can't hear him, I know he's up to no good.....But he always glues on me and can't leave the room for a minute without him flying right on my shoulder. Don't have any big problems with him, except, that sometimes, out of the blue, he bites me very hard....It's totally randomly and for no certain reason...... otherwise he is very gentle, loving and wants to be pet all the time.

Maybe there are even more "Pico's" out there...... Grinzzzzzzzzzz

Greetings to all,

:green: Pico and Tom

kimbell

Nov 17, 2015
Austin, Texas
Parrots
Pico - yellow sided GCC
WOW, another "Pico'..... LOL My 2 year old GCC's name is also Pico, he's a male and full of nonsense..... He talks clearly and always wants to play and explore.....if I can't hear him, I know he's up to no good.....But he always glues on me and can't leave the room for a minute without him flying right on my shoulder. Don't have any big problems with him, except, that sometimes, out of the blue, he bites me very hard....It's totally randomly and for no certain reason...... otherwise he is very gentle, loving and wants to be pet all the time.

Greetings to all,

lol! I'd love to see pictures of your Pico. My Pico doesn't say much, just his name and he occasionally says "what are you doing?" he's super sweet to me. not SO sweet to anyone else but sweet enough to where they can hold him. he's never bit me to the point that it made me bleed so I'm thankful for that! :)

Paulmandy

Feb 17, 2017
Well i currently own a pineapple conure so the only choice i have. Hes not hand tame but we are getting there. . Hes got an amazing personailty. So my choice is a pineapple... live my Boe boe. :)

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

jce2005

Jan 22, 2017
Clovis, NM
Parrots
Green Cheeked Conure

Greetings to all,

lol! I'd love to see pictures of your Pico. My Pico doesn't say much, just his name and he occasionally says "what are you doing?" he's super sweet to me. not SO sweet to anyone else but sweet enough to where they can hold him. he's never bit me to the point that it made me bleed so I'm thankful for that! :)

Yeah, I can relate to that, my Pico is also not very nice to strangers, he just lands on them and bites their neck or ear lob.... HAHAHAHA But heyyyyy, he bites me to sometimes and for no reason....

My Pico can say : Pico, Pico, than he also whispers Pico, Pico.... he also says "Gimme kiss" ( and than he expects me to make kissing sounds...If I say gimme kiss, he makes kissing sounds).... he also says "Come here" and of course expects me to come to him. If I say "Come here", he come to me....If I say to him "Shake hand", he says "shake hand" and lifts his right foot, so I can shake his claw..... But the most funny thing he does is : If I use my pointing finger and thumb to make a pistol and make a BANG sound, he flips on his back, like he was shot...... LOL LOL But he doesn't play dead, he wants to play on his back..... ;)

Greetings,

Pico & Tom

Attachments

• Pico In Hand On Back.jpg
    Pico In Hand On Back.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 135
  • P1010571 (Custom) (2).JPG
    P1010571 (Custom) (2).JPG
    85.4 KB · Views: 330
Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts