Are conures parakeets?

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
I was googling conures because I wanted to see all the different types and Google came up with one of those suggestion things based on what I searched and... well

Now I'm curious since I've never heard conures referred to as parakeets

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170201-001602.jpg
    Screenshot_20170201-001602.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 339

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I believe that a parrot which has a long tail is referred to as a parakeet. Although many people just say parrot for most long tailed species as well, which is also correct since parrots and parakeets are all psittacines.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
All small parrots with long tails are parakeets :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZephyrFly

Sep 21, 2014
UK
Parrots
Pazu - Green Cheek Conure - Hatch Date ~27 September 2014~
A parakeet is always a parrot, but a parrot is not always a parakeet.
If the species has a long tail it's a parakeet (budgies, conures, even macaws).

dhraiden

Jul 14, 2015
Queens NY
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure (Mochi)
Gold Capped Conure (Mango)
From Wiki,
A parakeet is any one of a large number of small to medium-sized species of parrot, in multiple genera, that generally have long tail feathers.

In aviculture, the term "conure" is used for small to medium-sized parakeets of the genera Aratinga, Pyrrhura, and a few other genera of the tribe Arini, which are mainly endemic to South America. As they are not all from one genus, taxonomists tend to avoid the term. Other South American species commonly called parakeets include the genus Brotogeris parakeets, the monk parakeet, and lineolated parakeets, although lineolateds have short tails.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Brotogeris have short tails and yet are included in the parakeet nomenclature. Who makes this stuff up, anywho? I say four legged grazing animals that are white with black stripes are Zebra , but four legged grazing animals that are black with white stripes are Abrez ! Wildlife according to Wrench13 !

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Beebs has a long tail...so is he a parakeet? :confused: I'm not going to ask him.

Jim

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Yes how about cockatiels they are small with a long tail.
they are also part of the cockatoo family.
So Cockatiels are Cockatoo parakeets

texsize

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
At almost 20 inches and 250 grams, the Rb is a biggggggggg parakeet. Maybe the biggest?

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Or they can be parrots and parakeets simultaneously, for example monk parakeets are also quaker parrots, like Al said, zebras and abrez's.

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
So it's like a rectangle is a square but a square isn't a rectangle. So a conure is a parakeet but a parakeet isn't necessarily a conure

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Respect, so glad we were able to clear up the confusion!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
You can call them whatever you like! But, I would not recommend walking into a gathering of MAC owners and start referring to their MAC's as parakeets! Nor would I walk into a gathering Parakeet owners and start to referring to them as MAC's

They might find it interesting to see how many MAC bills one Human body can be bitten by before there is a change in position regarding calling their MAC's parakeets and vice versa.

Personally, I wouldn't bring it up! But, that's your choice. :D

etc, etc, etc...

Sounds like sloppy use of descriptive terms.

Most Reactions

Latest posts