What macaw food is the better of the two?

randysnp

Jul 25, 2012
Michigan, USA
Parrots
Blue and Gold macaw named Oliver
Male
12 years old
Hello i am in need of advice, when i got my macaw Oliver the rescue had him on ZuPreem Classic- http://www.petco.com/product/107966/ZuPreem-Classic-AvianMaintenance-Natural-Bird-Diet-for-Large-Parrots.aspx But i wet to the pet store and the guy was trying to tell me that Kaytee Fiesta MAX Macaw food- http://www.petco.com/product/105524/Kaytee-Fiesta-MAX-Macaw-Food.aspx?CoreCat=OnSiteSearch is much better then ZuPreem, so i just want actual bird owners advice because i know your not trying to sell me something you will tell the truth.

willist

Sep 5, 2009
Tequesta Fl.
Parrots
CAG - Willis T.
Greenwing - Auggie
Harlequin - Connie
Blue&Gold - Charly
I don't feed mine either, but pellets are always better than mixed seeds. I feed mine Exact with omega 3 (recommended by my vet).

Merlee

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2012
USA
I looked at the ingedients of both because I wasn't familiar with either one. I am biased because I feed my bird Zupreme fruit blend pellets because I know that my bird will eat them and have a balanced diet while with the mix, the bird will only eat his favorite stuff and dump the rest and you don't really know what he is actually consuming.

I don't think Kaytee is better for the above reason. The ingredients in the Kaytee mix could be used as a supplement because it looks like it has a lot healthy ingredients. It has crossed my mind to supplement my birds food with something like this too.

If you decide to continue with pellets, save yourself alot of money and don't buy the large size pellet because the majority of it will end up at the bottom of the cage.

Last edited:

plax

Banned
Banned
Jun 29, 2012
United States
Parrots
'Jack' (Blue & Gold),
'Maynard' (Military),
'Zaffer' (Hyacinth),
'Salsa' (Green-wing)
If you decide to continue with pellets, save yourself alot of money and don't buy the large size pellet because the majority of it will end up at the bottom of the cage.
Do you care to elaborate on that a bit? My birds not only won't eat the smaller pellets, I can count on them shoveling smaller pellets out of their food bowls. So there's more waste and it's more difficult to clean up since it consists of more particles. My guys have always behaved as if they consider smaller pellets pointless - other than the cool pitter-patter sound they make when hitting the cage bottoms and the floor. The large pellets, on the other hand, get consumed and remain in the food bowls until that happens for the most part. My suspicion is that it probably has more to do with what an individual bird is used to than anything else. Small parrot pellets are less than appreciated by my flock, though ;)

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
I think the Zupreem you are using is a daily maintenance diet, the kaytee feed has seeds ,corn,etc. it's not a daily mantenance feed, IMO. Kaytee does make a similar ,natural daily mantenance pellet, but it is one step below the Zupreem IMO. The natural in natural pellets referres to the color, they are all the same color(tan). Size is what ever is best for you and your bird, some who eat with their feet much prefer the larger sizes.

Last edited:

Merlee

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2012
USA
Do you care to elaborate on that a bit? My birds not only won't eat the smaller pellets, I can count on them shoveling smaller pellets out of their food bowls. So there's more waste and it's more difficult to clean up since it consists of more particles. My guys have always behaved as if they consider smaller pellets pointless - other than the cool pitter-patter sound they make when hitting the cage bottoms and the floor. The large pellets, on the other hand, get consumed and remain in the food bowls until that happens for the most part. My suspicion is that it probably has more to do with what an individual bird is used to than anything else. Small parrot pellets are less than appreciated by my flock, though ;)

Sure. Merlin will pick it up with his foot, take a bite and bits and pieces of it from the impact fall down to the bottom of the cage. I was throwing quite a bit away. He also will nudge it out of his food bowl for whatever reason. With the smaller pieces, I can see him actually getting them into his mouth and swallowing them.

plax

Banned
Banned
Jun 29, 2012
United States
Parrots
'Jack' (Blue & Gold),
'Maynard' (Military),
'Zaffer' (Hyacinth),
'Salsa' (Green-wing)

Sure. Merlin will pick it up with his foot, take a bite and bits and pieces of it from the impact fall down to the bottom of the cage. I was throwing quite a bit away. He also will nudge it out of his food bowl for whatever reason. With the smaller pieces, I can see him actually getting them into his mouth and swallowing them.
It just goes to show you how much parrots are individuals. What works best for one may be the worst choice for another.

cd4565

Jun 20, 2009
New York
Parrots
"Bell" tiel-"JJ" African Red Belly-"Jackson" Mealy Zon-"Huey" GWM
I use pretty bird select high energy it has a higher fat content for macaws as a pellet and a fruit, nut, veggie mix as a treat. The pretty bird is what my breeder fed his birds so i continued. Like the rest have said keep with what your bird is used to as long as it's not just seed. They also like variety but you will have to try different things to see what your bird likes.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Me three.yea on the 20lb bags.

Davidzye

Aug 13, 2012
Well, Zupreem is PART of what my two B&G's get, but there's a lot more stuff added to it. Whole nuts, unshelled, some shelled. Then, some smaller mixes with a few sunflower seeds, safflower, corn, other stuff. I add other stuff, too. Some from a premium mix of fruits and veggies, some from other extruded foods, such as a bit of Kaytee, bit of RoudyBush and a few others. Altogether, when I make food, it's about 8 or 9 different items, including some of the ABC stuff, alfalfa, broccoli and cauliflower. Pine nuts, pistachios in the shell, some human cereals, unsweetened, like Rice Chex or Wheaties.

Along with some fresh foods in a separate bowl, they pretty much got it made. They eat far better than I do! But, their feather condition is great. They just sparkle and shine and neither of them complains. They do pick and choose, though. The peanuts, almonds, pistachios and the like are usually the first to go.

Be talkin' to you...................DavidZye

plax

Banned
Banned
Jun 29, 2012
United States
Parrots
'Jack' (Blue & Gold),
'Maynard' (Military),
'Zaffer' (Hyacinth),
'Salsa' (Green-wing)
Well, Zupreem is PART of what my two B&G's get, but there's a lot more stuff added to it. Whole nuts, unshelled, some shelled. Then, some smaller mixes with a few sunflower seeds, safflower, corn, other stuff. I add other stuff, too. Some from a premium mix of fruits and veggies, some from other extruded foods, such as a bit of Kaytee, bit of RoudyBush and a few others. Altogether, when I make food, it's about 8 or 9 different items, including some of the ABC stuff, alfalfa, broccoli and cauliflower. Pine nuts, pistachios in the shell, some human cereals, unsweetened, like Rice Chex or Wheaties.

Along with some fresh foods in a separate bowl, they pretty much got it made. They eat far better than I do! But, their feather condition is great. They just sparkle and shine and neither of them complains. They do pick and choose, though. The peanuts, almonds, pistachios and the like are usually the first to go.

Be talkin' to you...................DavidZye
Yeah, mine get plenty of various nuts (pecans, almonds, cashews, pine nuts, macadamias, and a few others), along with fresh organic fruits and vegetables, various other parrot pellets (RoudyBush, Kaytee, Harrison's - they won't eat lots of Harrison's though), some seeds, and some whole grains. They also love to eat some of whatever I'm having... I usually offer it to them as long as it's parrot-safe.

horsesculpter

Jun 21, 2012
Texas
Parrots
Catalina Macaw, Sunny
Sunny likes the Fiesta Max, but won't eat Zupreem. She scoops that out. Sunny eats a lot with us, fruits for breakfast, the rest of the day, vegetables, cheese, chicken and beef bones that she can crack for the marrow, sometimes pasta, an occasional cookie piece, and of course those awfull McDonalds french fries that she loves to gut and suck the innards from. We like MD's iced tea but got to watch her if she is along as she will order herself fries. That is a rare treat for her. She is in beautiful feather and is always complimented for her healthy glow so I guess it works.

Most Reactions

Latest posts