What Macaw is for me?

BirdSquawk

Aug 21, 2012
Parrots
Jack- 5 year old pacific parrotlet
Hi everybody! So i am planning out what kind of macaw to get when i finish collage, and i thought i wanted a hyacinth, but i am starting to think that maybe they are not the macaws for me. I would be able to give a macaw round the clock attention exept for perhaps a few hours to do errands. I want a companion that would sit on my shoulder or follow me around all day asking for cuddles. Talking is not important to me. I would get a cockatoo, but thier screams are just to human sounding, it creeps me out, at least a macaw sounds like a bird. So macaw lovers, what should i get? A hyacinth, scarlet, Blue and gold? I am also considering Greenwings and some of the macaw hybreds. Thanks!:red1::blue::red:

chadwick

Nov 7, 2011
Parrots
Yellow Collared Macaw
I would encourage you to Check out the red fronted macaw so cuddly good natured and perfect size around 500 grams

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
Slow down, first how about a little bit about YOU, such as your lifestyle, busy, boring? Where are you living now, house, apartment, where will you be living once out of once out of school? Do you have ANY large or extra large bird experience?

Macaws are dangerous birds and need experienced bird handlers.

So before I make any suggestions, the above questions would need to be answered.

sonja

Jul 31, 2012
I agree with Mike. Getting a macaw right out of college is a huge commitment and one that not many people would be able to sustain for the next 80 years at that point. You will likely move multiple times in the next decade, perhaps have kids. You say you can provide round the clock attention---so what happens when you get a job or have a kid and the parrot no longer gets round the clock attention and starts to scream, or pluck?

Also, hyacinths are EXPENSIVE! I know I couldn't afford one right out of college! Let alone a somewhat less expensive macaw that still requires a good bit of money in upkeep.

Let us know more about your situation and folks should be able to make some suggestions and give you some points to consider.

OP
BirdSquawk

BirdSquawk

Aug 21, 2012
Parrots
Keep in mind, i am not even in collage yet. I am just amusing myself thinking of the future. If something comes up, i will re-evaluate my choice of birds or not get any at all. I just plan ahead insanly and want to know what bird to plan ahead for. But if it helps you advise me, i do not have any large bird experiance, that is what caused me to re-evaluate the hyacinth macaw, it being the largest of the macaws. My lifestyle is pretty boring, i pretty much pla out my days doing something constructive like exersising or cleaning. I live in a house and will during and after collage.

OP
BirdSquawk

BirdSquawk

Aug 21, 2012
Parrots
Forgot to add: I know what i am getting into. I know that macaws scream so loud you will think you have hearing loss, tear up only the most precious of your possessions, poop everywhere and cost 10s of thousands of dollars over the course of thier lifetimes. They might cause me to lose potential love intrests and stop friends from dropping by, and they can inflict only the most permanent of scars, but they will always be there for me and brighten up my days ( if they don't poop on them first!)

WharfRat

Jul 3, 2012
Central Tx
Parrots
2 Bolivian Green Wings-ReaRea & Miri,
2 Yellow Naped 'Zons- Shiloh & Halo,
Hahn's Macaw-Kalani
Macaws are dangerous birds
I think that should have; "CAN BE" in front of it, and yes they "can be" (I know, trust me) :54:

Mike does raise some valid points though.

JJones1719

Mar 9, 2011
Media
MD
Parrots
7 Year old SI Eclectus named Guapo, I have a 6 year old GW Macaw named Neleno
Hello and welcome to the board,
Planning ahead is always a good thing to do when your talking about any Parrot as they do live quite along time. Your life changes year to year so this is the reason many Parrots in general end up in rescues or just unwanted.
Mike brings up great points of interest and please take a moment to take what he is saying to heart because we are all Macaw owners and most of use help out rescues of unwanted Parrots.

Okay, with that said. There are many Macaws to choose from, they all have their own personalities, traits, and bad behaviors.

I would advise you to give time to a local Parrot rescue near you, this will really help you understand what you are about to get into before you make a mistake.

If your looking for a cuddle bug, your best choice is the Hy or Green Wing. They are the gentle giants of the Macaw Family and are known to form very strong bonds with their owners or in most cases, their owner as many are a one person Macaw.

If this is not what your looking for, I would advise you that the B&G or Buffon, or Blue Throat Macaw should be considered as they too can be quite cuddly but also they enjoy time by themselves to hang out on a Java tree or playstand.

if you have alot of handling experience, then I would advise you on the Military or scarlet, they both require great handling and in my opinion can be quite nippy and moody.

you then have your hybrids, but to be honest, I love the purebreds. With hybrids you never know what your getting, just because you may get a hybrid mixed with a green wing does not always mean that you will get a cuddle bug. you could end up with a monster on your hands.

I hope this helps you and only when you are truely ready for a Macaw, I hope you select the best choice for you and your lifestyle. best of luck Joe

OP
BirdSquawk

BirdSquawk

Aug 21, 2012
Parrots
I know what you mean with hybrids, on one hand they are beautiful, on the other, you dont really know what you are getting.
As for rescues, i would love to help out a macaw in need, but the only problem i have is that many of those birds are set in thier ways or have phyisical or emotional special needs. I am not saying all rescue birds are like this, but it is hard to find the match for me. I will keep all of your considerations in mind, but for now i think i have narrowed my list down to a greenwinged macaw or a hyacinth, but it will be several years before i am ready for a macaw. Thanks for all of your responses! Just one more question, are hyacinth or greenwinged macaws known to be nice to other people? They dont have to be cuddly with them, just allow minor handling and petting, as i am part of a family of 6 with many other younger cousins who would be very interested in playing with a giant bird in the living room:)

Mike

Mar 15, 2011
Media
Albums
Atlanta, GA USA
Parrots
A Greenwing, a Sun Conure, and a Hahn's Macaw
My daughter's Hahn's Macaw is quiet, only wants to ride around on your shoulder all day pooping on your shirt. It's not as impressive as one of the larger Macaws, but it is a great first time bird for someone on the way up--having just started your career.

OP
BirdSquawk

BirdSquawk

Aug 21, 2012
Parrots
Thanks mike, I will be sure to check the Hahn's macaw out!

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
Do you have any birds right now? Are there any bird rescues in your area? Maybe if you get a chance to work in a bird store or with a bird rescue and help with foster birds, it would give you a greater idea what you most liked. I know for years when i was college age, i subscribed to Bird Talk and studied it cover to cover. I only had a budgie as a pet (he was wonderful though, smart and funny) but had ideas of what i most wanted. I used to hang around my bird vet's office because they bred birds and had a 'pet shop' of birds. I never thought i was going to get a sun conure, but given my young salary, and the fact that i did not know if i would have many life changes, i thought the conures had that 'roll with it', adventurous spirit and would be open to changes. It worked out well. I never had that "impressive" big bird that makes people "oooh" but i had a wonderful pet anyhow. I still say some day i may rescue an Amazon, but with my conure cage, i would be limited for space in my living room for an Amazon cage too. Sometimes just those practical things come into play, for the happiness of the bird (and your ultimate satisfaction with them--happy birds make happier bird parents). :)

OP
BirdSquawk

BirdSquawk

Aug 21, 2012
Parrots
My area doesnt have many oppertunities for interacting with birds except my local petsmart that occasionally has conures that will play through the bars, and the bird fair, that comes once a month and takes place in a VFW hall, but i only get the chance to hold a couple birds. It is there i first held a parrotlet, caique and dove. I dont have any birds now, but since i wont be getting a macaw for a while, i am planning for a parrotlet, lovebird or perhaps a cockatiel to be my constant buddy:)
P.s, i worship my remaining Bird Talk issues, so sad that there wont be anymore:(

JJones1719

Mar 9, 2011
Media
MD
Parrots
7 Year old SI Eclectus named Guapo, I have a 6 year old GW Macaw named Neleno
To answer your 2nd question, Does Hy and Green Wing Macaws get along with others.

The answer to that is, it really depends on the bird, if you have a one person bird on your hand, they only want your attn and will strike out at others. My Neleno is a 5 year old Green Wing and complete cuddle bug to me and my Vet. He has a very strong beak and is really on the large size for a green wing in fact is larger then some of the Hy macaws I know. On my profile picture, he was only 7 months old.I would not trust him around others. He can very east take off a finger or cut a hand that would need stitches.

With that said, I know of many other Green Wings who go to everyone and believe it or not, the ones I know who are friendly to other are in fact rescue birds.

As far as the HY Macaw, they will normally go to everyone if they are raised in a large family.

The reason I asked if you can give time at a rescue was, if you can learn how to handle a mis-treated bird or a bird that has issues, when it's the right time for you and your choice of bird is a Macaw, then you already know how to handle them and take proper care of them.

Both my boys were from a friend of mine who is a breeder in the state of VA. Both my boys were raised the same way. My Eclectus will go to everyone and anyone to the point where I have a hard time getting him to come back to me. On the other hand, there is Neleno my GW but I would not trade him for the world, both my boys go every where I go and places that allow pets so our bond is very strong and they will do anything to get my attn. They are like having small children sometimes.
Best of luck to you. Joe

Last edited:

CRYROLFE

Jul 19, 2012
Media
St. Louis, MO
Parrots
TESLA-Congo African Grey
VINNY - Vasmaeri Eclectus
I would recommend to start out a bit smaller. We have a Hahns and a Congo African Grey. That way you can get comfortable learning how to actually teach a parrot. The smaller birds can also help teach you how to react when bitten (and you will get bitten)....how not to lose your patience (and temper). We love our Hahns and she has a HUGH personality for such a small bird.
My hubby is still new to handling birds and will be getting a Cape Parrot in the future....slightly bigger than a Hahns. He got to attend a bird fair and hold a B-G Macaw who really liked him and found that he has a way to go before he's comfortable handling one.
Have you ever gotten the chance to hold one?
Good for you to research way ahead of time!

Mike

Mar 15, 2011
Media
Albums
Atlanta, GA USA
Parrots
A Greenwing, a Sun Conure, and a Hahn's Macaw
I agree with CryRolfe in so far as a smaller bird is less of a challenge and a good way to learn how to handle larger birds. I also agree with his/her statements about the Hahns. My daughter has one and it is the easiest of our flock to handle.

However, I disagree with CryRolf in one respect concerning the recommendation that you start out with a smaller bird. Even the smaller birds have life expectancies of 20+ years. If you get a smaller bird to learn about larger birds, you take on the responsibility of keeping and supporting that bird for a very long time. As long as that is acceptable to you, then I think that is a good solution.

If you're a one-bird person like me, then I think you're better off researching all you can then getting the one bird you think you will want to keep forever.

CRYROLFE

Jul 19, 2012
Media
St. Louis, MO
Parrots
TESLA-Congo African Grey
VINNY - Vasmaeri Eclectus
I agree with Mike if you are planning on having only one bird, in that case make sure to visit and hold as many as you can and pick the one that you want.....but you were saying that until you could get a larger Macaw, you were going to get a smaller bird to be your buddy in the meantime. In that case, a Hahns would be a great choice. :)

Crystal

Most Reactions

Latest posts