What other birds are good with a lovebird?

Mirlito

Feb 9, 2013
Costa del Sol, Andalucía, Spain
Parrots
Poppy - Crimson Bellied Conure
Hi all, my fiance and I are going to be raring a baby lovebird soon to have as a member of our family. Though we are looking into getting another baby bird (perhaps a baby quaker) for us to have 2 different birds in the house but very tame and loving as they will be out most of the day. Would a quaker be a good choice too? I wouldn´t leave them both alone and have them in different cages. I know quakers can be very territorial.

Thanks

Sarah.

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
Sarah. Both quakers and lovebirds can be very cage aggresive and both and also can be bird aggresive. None of my three parrots get along with each other when they are close enough. They talk to each other and watch each other but I would never trust them to play together. When 2 are out at the same time they can't reach each other. Better to be safe than sorry:)

OOwl

Oct 12, 2010
Texas
Parrots
Rosebreasted Cockatoo, Congo Grey, MRH Amazon, Lovebird
Use caution: I made the very bad mistake of having my precious lovebird with my other birds at the dinner table (they, of course, have different cages). My Grey ran across the table and bit the lovebird on the head, even though they had eaten at the same dinner table for years. Thanks to a very good vet, my lovebird survived but he is blind in one eye, a constant reminder that birds can really hurt one another, especially when one is so much bigger than another. Now, I NEVER let the lovebird out with any other birds. I know people do it. I've seen countless pictures of big and small birds on the same play tree/station, even in the same cage. I would of never thought my Grey would attack one of his own flock mates, but he did. Although I don't believe he intended to hurt him as badly as he did, it happened. Please remember my story if you let your lovebird play with other larger birds. Good luck.

chippy

Feb 16, 2013
Parrots
2 Indian Ringnecks, Tiki (DH's) and Pippin (mine), 1 lovebird, Gemma (DD's) and 1 in birdy Heaven... RIP, Wilbur.
:yellow1:My daughter has a lovebird...cage aggressive but fine away from her room and cage. Her "bestie" is my green-cheeked conure, :green2: Wilbur...they will hang out in his cage, groom each other, tease each other (the lovebird sits on the Wilbur's tail for fun, and he grabs her feet and pulls, all in fun:D)! They've been together from day 1...

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
I think you're very lucky because that does not seem to be the norm.:)

chippy

Feb 16, 2013
Parrots
2 Indian Ringnecks, Tiki (DH's) and Pippin (mine), 1 lovebird, Gemma (DD's) and 1 in birdy Heaven... RIP, Wilbur.
I think you're very lucky because that does not seem to be the norm.:)
Who, me? If yes, then I agree...we're lucky!:D

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
my lovebirds have been with many different types of birds. the ones they got along best with were conures. bigger, or smaller they got along very well.
they tend to preen,cuddle, fly and eat together, but I never housed them together.

I've also raised my 2 lovebirds from 2 weeks of age, along with my baby cockatiels. They get along very well, and love playing together, never ever bitten each other.
When I introduce a new cockatiel to my lovebirds, they don't have any issues with them what so ever. Having said that, I wouldn't recommend that to most people.
my lovebirds have been around cockatiels since they were born, and are part of their flock, funny as that sounds.

Last edited:

newclassic

Feb 17, 2013
California
Parrots
1 lovebird (April 1997), 1 cockatiel (adopted in '97 at ~2 yrs)
I guess it probably depends on when you introduce them. We took in someone's 2yo cockatiel when we adopted our baby lovebird, and they don't get along. They're in separate cages and always do their own thing when let out--but the lovebird is territorial/curious/jealous, and he sometimes antagonizes the cockatiel. They've never had any physical confrontations, but the lovebird will sometimes run over to him and bully him away from whatever toy he's preoccupied with (we usually stop it before it gets to that point though).

Most Reactions

Latest posts