What pellets do you recommend for parakeets?

GlitchTown

Mar 3, 2017
Parrots
Skye, Cloud, Beep, Lilac - American budgies
So, after a long while of failed attempts at converting Skye and Cloud (my budgies) to ZuPreem fruit blend pellets, I've had no luck. It really seems to me like those are too big. So I'm going to try some different kinds. Any suggestions for really any alternative to seeds for a main dietary source? Luckily, they're still really babies, and this is their first hormonal season, so they're young enough for a conversion.

These guys aren't fully hand tame yet, so unfortunately that narrows our tactics down.

Thanks, in advance!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

UlyBirb

Feb 5, 2018
Media
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Umbriel (Umbri)- Fischer's/Blackmask Lovebird •
Ulysses- Frosted Canary •
Zebra Finches
Roudybush is very high quality and was recommended to me for my birds by an avian nutritionist. More expensive than Zupreem, but no colouring and the vitamins & minerals are all natural & not synthetic. I would use Roudybush Maintenance in the crumble form- it will be an easier transition than going directly to pellets. Zupreem also has a handy conversion guide on their website. What I did with my birds was place a dish of pellets beside their favourite perch at all times, and give them one meal of seeds in the morning and one at night. Still give them fruits and veggies. Then once they were acclimated to this schedule I'd take away the seeds in the morning. It only took a few days until they were eating pellets all by themselves.

Edit: my canary and finches aren't completely tame, but getting them onto a pelleted diet was easy. Once your two are on a fully pelleted diet, you can use seeds as a special treat to get them to fly to your hands- my canary doesn't do this, but my finches fly to my hand immediately once they see I have seeds.

Last edited:

WilliamKenyon

Aug 21, 2015
Media
Parrots
Mango: Male cockatiel, Ruby: Female eclectus
Not sure if you can get it where you are, but Vetafarm make some great quality pellets specially formulated for Australian birds. I give my cockatiel, parrot essentials
( Home - Vetafarm ) as they are a very small pellet and are not to large for smaller birds but have great nutrition. I'm sure you can't go far wrong with Roudybush however, they make some really high quality pellets as well :)

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Dye free pellets. They shouldn't be eating more than 50/50 seeds to pellets anyway.

Zupreem pellets mixed with millet.

Harrison's or Roudybush. Can grind into a powder and mix about 50/50 with seeds then add enough water to make a thick paste. You can then make "cake" or "berries" with these and feed to birds. As they dig for the seeds, they'll be trying the pellets, too.

http://www.parrotforums.com/parrot-...7-converting-parrots-healthier-diet-tips.html

Most Reactions

Latest posts